About That Flores 'hobbit'...

Bonehead74

They got DNA from the Denisovian finger bone, I wonder why the hobbit bones are being difficult? And why they targeted a tooth vs a leg bone?

Edited by norseman

DNA testing has thus far failed so that's not much help.

Its a very good example of just how bitter and vindictive the field of human origins is...very little of the noble altruistic scientists on show. Just more of the usual self promotion and righteous indignation.

Any folks think all it will take is a sasquatch body? That's only when the catfight commences!

The DNA would throw water on it pretty quick I think. The fight would move on though, because the human origins fight is inherently within this field.

They got DNA from the Denisovian finger bone, I wonder why the hobbit bones are being difficult? And why they targeted a tooth vs a leg bone?

Teeth generally retain their DNA better. not sure why. Teeth last longer than bones do and presumably, the DNA lasts longer for whatever reason the teeth last so long. Tropical DNA breaks down faster due to the heat as well.

My understanding is many of the hobbit bones were poorly preserved in the wet, tropical conditions.  Neanderthal and Denisovan bones from which DNA was extracted were found in temperate climes.

Wet humid climates are blamed for a lot of stuff, e.g., the paucity of gorilla and chimp ancestor remains.  So not the biggest surprise.

Wet humid climates are blamed for a lot of stuff, e.g., the paucity of gorilla and chimp ancestor remains.  So not the biggest surprise.

Rightfully so.

I've been told evergreen forests with their acidic soils don't fossilize well either.

Regardless, we do have bones from the hobbit that were preserved. Just curious why DNA extraction hasn't been attempted there.

The specimens were discovered on the Indonesian island of Flores in 2003 by a joint Australian-Indonesian team of archaeologists looking for evidence of the original human migration of Homo sapiens from Asia to Australia.  They were not expecting to find a new species, and were surprised at the recovery of a nearly complete skeleton of a hominin they dubbed LB1 because it was unearthed inside the Liang Bua Cave. Subsequent excavations recovered seven additional skeletons, dating from 38,000 to 13,000 years ago.  An arm bone provisionally assigned to H. floresiensis is about 74,000 years old. The specimens are not fossilized and have been described as having "the consistency of wet blotting paper"; once exposed, the bones had to be left to dry before they could be dug up.

- Wikipedia

Edited by Pteronarcyd

Dumb question.

What if the characteristics we commonly associate with Downs Syndrome are actually characteristics that were common in one branch of our ancestral tree?

Today, some people consider the outward appearance of the syndrome to be "primitive" in aspect.  Is this based on the one-time existence of a species with such an aspect?

Not that I'm aware of JDL. Australopithecus species were not Down's syndrome like at all. Homo habilis and erectus also do not look like this. There is also the matter of the length of the thigh bone in this specimen. Down's syndrome affects many other parts of the body than just the head. From what I've read  they've only found the one skull. This makes a statement about the population overall premature.

Guest Stan Norton

And Down's syndrome is the result of a chromosomal 'abnormality' and is very rare in the population at large. People with Down's rarely share the full lifespan or good health enjoyed by the majority of us but, thankfully for us, they appear to have an overload of humanity, love and joy.

I don't see that there is any link between this syndrome and our early ancestors. Not that we have anything near enough physical evidence of those ancestors to make such detailed analyses.

But no evidence that the chromosomal "abnormality" was not a chromosomal normality in an unsuccessful species.

Has the rate of Down's shown any increase or decrease over the centuries?

This site might help a bit:

http://www.downs-syndrome.org.uk/component/content/article/35-general/162-6-can-men-a-women-with-downs-syndrome-get-married-and-have-children.html

I suspect that on an island a population with a high frequency of Down's syndrome could arise. I think it would be unlikely that the whole population could thrive if everyone had the condition however. I do not know what would happen if an individual was conceived with a homozygous version of Down's. Probably miscarriage. Women with Down's tend to miscarry more often. That would make it difficult to produce a population where everyone had Down's. Like the manx cats on the Isle of Mann.