Meganthropus Tooth Found In Santa Cruz?

hiflier

Hello marina,

I think it went missing before this thread which I began last Wednesday Aug12. As a result I started learning along with everyone else what the backstory on it discovery was as well as the history of the tooth since it was first donated to the Museum. It's actually pretty cool to have a member here who is in the area. Maybe you could stop in at some point there and say Hi to Mike from us here on the Forum? I have to be honest I knew little of the Museum and nothing of Mr. Rugg until I initiated this thread. If you hear any news about the tooth or plans to dig for any evidence surrounding it could you let us know? Thanks. And thanks for connecting with the thread :)  

Jiggy, teeth are held in by ligaments. Those disappear quickly after death. I've found many animal skulls with teeth rattling around just waiting to fall out. Also, teeth are some of the hardest (maybe the hardest) objects in the body and would survive much longer than anything else. Note that it's mainly teeth which are left of gigantopithicus. There were quite a few teeth found in caves, presumably dragged there by porcupines, but little else.

So, it's likely the rest of the skull would disintegrate while the teeth remain intact to fossilize. That said, the area would be ripe for a dig. Even if it were a run of the mill extinct animal, it's still valuable to science and who knows what else could be found.

Hello marina,

I think it went missing before this thread which I began last Wednesday Aug12. As a result I started learning along with everyone else what the backstory on it discovery was as well as the history of the tooth since it was first donated to the Museum. It's actually pretty cool to have a member here who is in the area. Maybe you could stop in at some point there and say Hi to Mike from us here on the Forum? I have to be honest I knew little of the Museum and nothing of Mr. Rugg until I initiated this thread. If you hear any news about the tooth or plans to dig for any evidence surrounding it could you let us know? Thanks. And thanks for connecting with the thread :)  

Next time I stop by I will tell him. Mike is awesome, incredibly nice and friendly. As well as all the other people who volunteer/staff there. They have this great map of the santa cruz mountains / unincorporated area with a star sticker near the reported sightings or encounters over the past half decade or so. They were surprised when I pointed out where I live.. very remote and at the top of a large ridge. I hear everything up there. 

• 1 month later...

That is very strange it went missing just 10 days ago when all this interest started to generate. I also live in the Santa Cruz mountains, pretty remotely, and have been popping into the museum every now and then over past decade. The tooth always looked like a human molar to me but much larger. I have a picture of Mike holding it from last summer. Not sure how to embed photos while posting from iPhone. Here's to hoping it's found..

That's how it usually goes...too much explaining to do if they let it stand in the public eye....sigh!

I believe you, very interesting indeed. Please let us know if anything else comes of it

This is what a fossil camel tooth looks like.   That was no camel tooth. We also had a species of horse in North America back then and their teeth are similar to the camel.

post-21822-0-37717600-1442799837_thumb.j

post-21822-0-31497100-1442799852_thumb.j

Guest sacripper

I stopped at The Bigfoot Discovery museum with my family when we were in Felton just after New years 2015. My daughter, son in law, and I looked at length at the remnants of the tooth. My daughter had worked at a dental prosthetics company where she made dental bridges, dentures, etc. She had experience sculpting replacements to look as close as possible to the real thing. She noted that if it was human, it was a giant. She stopped short of saying it was human, since she was not trained in anything but human teeth.

I had asked him about the tooth, since I figured it might intrigue my daughter. He immediately produced a clear plastic vial with a white top containing the fragments that remained after the DNA samples were extracted. Maybe 6-8 pieces were in the vial.

Mike is an encyclopedia of BF information and history. He is the reason to visit the museum, in my opinion. The place is quite small, and has several plaster casts and such, along with many stage prop style displays. They are running a business, and need to create some sensationalism to keep the general public interested. While the prop style displays weren't something that held my attention, I realize they are probably a necessary evil need to keep the doors open.

Overall, I could have spent the afternoon talking with Mike, but the rest of my party left largely unimpressed. They had not engaged Mike, and we're instead ushered around by another guy who smelled of marijuana. To them, that was all they needed to conclude the credibility was quite low.

Again, Mike is a veritable oracle on the subject, and presents as a well informed, yet humble man. I hope the best for him in recovering the tooth fragments.

Regards,

Unclesac