Concerning The Ongoing Debate Over Skeptic /scofftic/denialist Participation On The Bff And Proving Bigfoot's Existence

Bonehead74

You can't shout down people you disagree with, particularly when you are wrong.

Oh that all would realize this fact and practice what they preach.

• Upvote 3

One never has to raise one's voice when one lets the evidence do the talking.

The situation that prompted the OP occurs between people who understand that...and people who don't, the latter of which usually don't get time of day on science forums.

As long as ohiobill's postulated rules don't get into the BFF rulebook, we're good.

When true evidence is presented it speaks for itself, and it screams of its presence. It doesn't need explaining, really.

So, you understand "evidence" and others don't? Interesting...

Better than people who say there is none?  Better than people who recognize only proof as evidence?

As I say.  Let stuff speak for itself.

I have a simple request of you that will settle your claims for all - Please present just one recognized as reputable scientific journal that substantiates your claims of reports as being testable and repeatable evidence.

• Upvote 4

Hello DWA,

Baby steps.  And maybe this thread was one.

You're on the money with that. This thread allowed a lot to get aired out; there's no doubt that there's more members on the Forum who have things that bother them in varying degrees but this is a start, and a good one. This thread also showed that even difficult situations and waverings can realign to a topic in the end. Not all threads will be as challenging as this one has been and nothing says anything is really settled but it served as a goo measure for what can be accomplished with a bit of focus.

it would be good to hear from others on whether or not any of this sounds reasonable to work on.

Hello See-Te-Cah NC,

Uh....Mr. Chief Administrator?....Ahem....Uh......you're off topic ;)

Edited by hiflier
  • Upvote 1

Hello salubrious,

Let's be clear here: members are not moderators and should not attempt to moderate or direct (that's in the forum rules).

Does this officially mean then that OP's couldn't, or shouldn't, remind existence debaters on their threads that the subject under discussion isn't about existence or non-existence and to please to return to discussing the topic at hand?

If that's the case then it would seem that we are back to square one. Maybe allow one request and then if unsuccessful hit the report button?

That is a good point and either the OP or moderation are good for that. Again there is a sort of judgement call...

Hello See-Te-Cah NC,

Uh....Mr. Chief Administrator?....Ahem....Uh......you're off topic ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm no more off topic than someone that wants to tout how science recognizes reports as true evidence. I'll try to do better!

• Upvote 1

Hello salubrious,

OK thanks. I really don't think after all of this that anyone wants to abuse the privilege. I won't because I wouldn't want to lose it. My take is that after this thread things may pretty much straighten them selves out anyway. The whole thing has been a good experience. I only can hope others are of the same opinion; or closer to it.

Hello See-Te-Cah NC,

Going off topic is easy to do because it's been such a normal course of conduct.  So for a while some latitude should be allowed until we get used to things then a little less latitude as we get more accustom to focusing better. At least it's in our minds to do so now being such a fresh idea. In the long run I think mostly self discipline will be the new norm. We'll see what the next few months look like anyway. 'Nuff from me, over and out.

Again, Id like to thank the Admin for allowing us enough rope in which to hang ourselves LOL.

BFF Patron

It's not my job to make people act like rational adults. I am spending the day on a rare dad-daughter date with my 3 year old girl. You'll all need to act like grownups without my constant attention.

Also, I really resent the implication that I designed this thread's title to inflame tensions. You are way out of your lane, SWWA.

Nothing I said was being critical of you.    You complained about the thread going off topic and I was trying to be constructive and throw out some ideas that might allow an original poster to have some control of his thread.     No such rules exist now but nearly everyone thinks something needs to be done.  Other wise they always degrade into the same circular arguments about existence.     Only the original poster knows where he wants the thread to go.     I think the OP should have more say about that.    But that is just me I guess.  

Guess I've hit my "plus" quota for the day .. I want to express agreement.    The original poster should either have something specific they want to share or a particular question or issue they want to discuss else they shouldn't really start a thread.   They will know better than anyone what is or is not on topic.  

MIB

Hello All,

Just thought I get a sense for where folks stand at this juncture. I've seen some mention that the OP's are in the best positions to manage their threads and for the most part I think that's true. But, at the same time, it's important to leave ample room for ideas and opinions and not clamp down in such a way that no one will post on a topic. Or someone gets a reputation as being overburdening. This Forum should still be a place to express ideas and have disagreements with the overlay being that things are still on topic or, if not soon will be, if the OP is willing to make requests.

So what do members think? Because this is the place to air your opinions on the matter of OP's managing threads on those few occasions when existence debates show up or the topic has drifted for a bit too long and needs pulling back. It shouldn't happen all that often but if it does is this the best way to approach the problem at least for the time being to see whether things get better?  

Edited by hiflier