Has Anyone Ever Had A Hanging Deer Get Taste Tested?

Painthorse

Peppersfarm, ya very interesting about what happened with your buddies deer. I have read a bunch of incidents like what you wrote above, thanks for sharing. 

Got lucky, my son did indeed take one pic of the hanging deer with his phone after it was wrapped. 

post-110-0-64853100-1449080565_thumb.jpg

Is it possible your husband did this while skinning the animal? Possibly digging his nails in to the meat a bit while grabbing hide to pull it while slicing it? 

I'm thinking some kind of smaller animal climbed up on the carcass.  Do you rats in the barn?  Barn cats?  What about a raccoon?  It's a head scratcher for sure.

t.

Edited by Terry

Cats and raccoons would have left the impressions of some of their canines. Neither of which are 2 inches apart. Rats would have had to make 4 or 5 bites side by side to leave those impressions. And that would not account for the flesh squeezing out between the teeth.

^

You're right Big however they may be impressions from chewing or knawing that resemble 2 inch apart tooth impressions.  Pretty difficult to tell from the photo though.  If they do have those critters around that I mentioned though there's a good chance it was one of them.

t.

Admin

Did not see an answer to Wag's question, but about how high were the marks?

Painthorse could answer that. My guesstimate is about 5 feet. If gnawing had taken place there it would probably just look like a piece of hamburger. ;)

And I didn't rule out a horse. Which is closer to what could make those impressions than rats, raccoons, cats or coyotes. Plus any one of those critters would probably have torn holes in the cheesecloth.

Edited by BigTreeWalker

I just realized MIB already posted the ideas I had about skinning or ripping with fingers...sorry, guess I missed that. 

On another note, the picture your son took appears to show the deer belly towards the barn, and your earlier pic before being skinned it was belly out from the barn.  Which way was the deer when you left it alone and which way was it when you found it?  It looks like to me the "bites" in question are on the belly side and possibly facing in towards the barn.  

We do have cats, raccoons, possums and probably rats but haven't seen any rodents lately, the cats keep that problem down and the cheese cloth had no rips or chew marks. 

Height-> Will take a pic tomorrow, but posting an old pic for now. When you look at where the hanger is tied to, that 2x4 above the deer, from the top of that 2x4 to the ground is 8' 5". My husband is 5'11" and the mark was just under the top of his head.

@Twist, belly towards the wall, back facing out. The mark is on the outer upper thigh <ham> not the inside.

@Btw, ya, upper horse teeth would be the closest thing that I would be able to use as a comparison. But the lower impressions would not work in reference to horse. Posting a web link.-> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=667&q=equine+front+horse+teeth&oq=equine+front+horse+teeth&gs_l=img.12...4507.18440.0.21280.32.31.0.0.0.0.1892.1892.8-1.1.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..32.0.0.LU6FEAS_0LA#imgrc=hF1eQP-QNRIRnM%3A Whena horse bites down or nips, the mechanics would be asymmetrical upper vs lower. I have no loose horses being that my property is not entirely fenced, I have separate turn out paddocks. My arab stud is kept at the end of that barn but it's a good 6' from being able to reach. 

Have had nothing else unusual happen, cams have gotten nada. 

post-110-0-26096100-1449118677_thumb.jpg

Hello Painthorse

WRT the pic of the carcass hung outside I see an area toward the end of the wrap on the right outside thigh that is discolored. Is this about the same place as the "bite" mark? Could it have been an older wound from the wild before you took the deer?

@Hiflier, if your referring to the dark area that I circled, that would be the incorrect side. The deer is hung upside down so that dark spot would be on the left side and to low under the ham area, the impression is on the right. <Which would be the left as your viewing the picture>.

And no, as far as being a pre existing wound. Including a close up of the impression.

post-110-0-05481200-1449166651.jpg

post-110-0-52922700-1449166694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Painthorse

Hello Painthorse,

Yep, ok I see that. Just to clear up any confusion your circled area is actually outside left as it appears that the deer's belly in facing the building?

Edited by hiflier