Why Hasn't There More Bigfoot Been Shot

yowiie

In response to Yowiie's initial comment, it fascinates me how people in Australia could allow themselves to be at the mercy of a tyrant or invading army.  You willingly surrender your right of self protection. You and every neighbor on your street would be slaughtered like sheep. In the States, a tyrant or invading force would be up against a firearm from every direction. They'd be up against wolves, not sheep, every single step along the way.

Many good reason outlined above. Those who don't believe or aren't looking for one are probably too stunned to even try to get a shot off.  Many who are hunting for a squatch probably find what they're looking for and see a human face looking back at them. Not too easy to pull that trigger.  It's one thing when you know you're hunting an animal. It has horns or hooves or long tails. It's altogether different when it has eyes, a nose, mouth, teeth and hands like us, and is looking right at you.

I would never kill one unless I was attacked and there was no other option.

Your reply isn't worth replying to, it justifies the reason for so many gun in the USA

Why haven't more T-rex been shot?  Why haven't any Neanderthals been shot?  Why hasn't a Thunderbird been shot or a Griffin?  Since the question is asked why for all intents and purposes no bigfoot have been shot doesn't that indicate there is something wrong with the picture?  We humans manage to shoot everything else that walks, talks, flies or swims.

Your right in saying that humans do shoot eveything, thats has me wondering why some redneck or rambo want to be hasn't bagged one.

Yowie1: One of those "rambo" type hunters I know personally bragged to me and others that if he ever saw one, he was going to "lay it down". He hunted feral hogs and deer mostly, and he hunted the river bottoms. He made that brag for about 10 years. When he was about 27 years old he was walking out of the bottoms from his deer stand just before black dark one day about four years ago. A large male Bigfoot walked out of a cane thicket and onto the trail less than 20 yards in front of him. Both froze and stared at each other for a few seconds before the animals screamed and ran off at high speed.

He made the mistake of telling me and others about his encounter. Of course he was asked by us why he didn't "lay it down". He would always laugh and  say, "Well **** it, I would have, but my dang .308 somehow turned into a BB gun on the spot." 

Edited by Branco
  • Upvote 2

SSR Team

Interesting.  You guys in Australia waited too long remaining subjects - we fought the Brits and became citizens - so we don't have to have a reason for a firearm.  

No, the Brits fought the Brits. Over 90% of the people in those thirteen colonies were British. It was a British Civil War, just fought in a foreign land..;)

Shock is a big reason that people don't normally take in to consideration in a sighting.

The shock of coming to the realisation that something you had no idea existed, or never thought for second existed, is actually real is something that can easily over power a lot of other feelings or thoughts.

I think that's a big reason that we don't get any pictures either.

The most vociferous opponents to Sasquatch have obviously never seen them so would dismiss this easily like so much else, but ignore natural human reactions at your peril when looking for answers of why X and why Y don't happen when a sighting occurs.

Guest ChasingRabbits

I don't mean to offend anyone by this post

Living in Australia we have very strict gun laws and you must provide of identity and a genuine reason for wanting a gun or rifle.

Reasons like eliminating vermon or your a member of a gun club, there aren't many other reasons for applying for the desired licence

What fascinates the Australian population are the lacks American gun laws, whenever there is a shooting in the USA its all over owe news for days and the big question is "when are they going to tighten the gun laws"

It comes across to the majority of Australians is that nearly every second person has a gun in America

So getting to the point of my post, if there are so many people with guns in the USA, why aren't there more BF bodies compared to the amount of sightings

I hope i have not offended anyone, that was not my intention

We have a Constitutional right to "bear arms" (arms meaning all arms--guns, knives, trebuchets, slung shots, etc. ) It's built into our Constitution because the Founding Fathers knew that private ownership of arms helped in our Rebellion. Before they got the Hessians to train the soldiers in the Continental Army, many of the so-called "Minute Men" or Militia were farmers, shop keepers, etc. who used their personal firearms to fight the Brits. Later in the War of Independence, there were factories that manufactured firearms for the Continental Army. The other reason for it being a Constitutional right is that the Founding Fathers knew (from experience) that government can become corrupt, putting its interests above the peoples interests and enforcing unjust laws via oppression. So an armed population would help keep the government in check, because the government knows if it gets out of line, the people have the military means to overthrow it. (Note: The Brits subsequently had strict firearms laws in their other colonies, such as India. The Brits would have been thrown out of there a lot earlier than the 1940s if the Indians owned firearms!)

So, there is a limit on how "tight" our gun laws can be. Unless the Constitution is amended, the Government cannot prohibit gun ownership (or knife ownership) in the US. And the more laws they have to restrict gun ownership, the more problems we have.

I'm not a firearm owner. I grew up in a semi-rural area surrounded by wooded areas and farms where kids (teenagers) would hunt in the wooded area behind our houses. It was common for them and their fathers/uncles to go on hunting trips during school vacations. I have friends and family own firearms  they are hunters and/or they live in rural areas. As in rural Australia,  firearms are necessary for protection/defense of your person and property. (Bears are smart, but they don't pay attention to signs that say "Keep OUT!".)  Also like Australia, communities are spread out in the US. Sure there are cities where everyone lives on top of each other, but in the rural or semi-rural areas, your nearest neighbor can be miles away. (As an aside, I think it's charming that Europeans are shocked at how spread out our communities, towns and cities are.) So, you can't always depend on the cops getting to your house in 10-20 minutes.  Some of the shootings we have locally are defensive: homeowners who shoot burglars. We had a locally "famous" shooting wherein a convenience store owner shot a robber.

The mass shootings that make the world headlines, I think, aren't due to a "gun culture" but due to the fact that some people are just crazy. Case in point, there are stabbings in train stations, on buses, etc. A couple of years ago, there was a lunatic who stabbed random people at large department stores. Yes, I realize the anti-gun crowd say that knives don't kill people, but that's because they are very ignorant. Knives or blades are among the earliest tools made by our human ancestors for the purpose of killing.  If these crazy people don't have access to a gun, they will use whatever they can--knives, rocks, automobiles, pressure cookers filled with projectiles, etc. --- to kill people.

And there is a "gun counter-culture" in the US. Again, I grew up around family and people that own firearms. They used and handled them with a type of reverence because they knew how dangerous these weapons are. The gun counter-culture glorifies the dangerous aspect of firearms, making them "cool" to own.

Regarding the second part of your question, I think it should be "why hasn't Big Foot been shot and its dead body brought in."

Edited by ChasingRabbits

Guest sacripper

Just google "list of bigfoot shootings". Robert Lindsay compiled a list that is out there in several places. Few would contend all of the stories have a basis in fact, but it only takes ONE....

I know Robert has his faults, but he did compile the list from many other sources, so don't shoot the messenger.

FWIW

Guest sacripper

I commend Chasing Rabbits for his enlightening recommendation for an edit. I will expand upon it by adding:

If reports are to be believed, Bigfoot has been found tens of thousands of times, but he just doesn't stay found very long.

Regards

Yowie

I think that just seeing these creatures is a very intense experience ,but to shoot one and yes there have been some shot. Well that would just be nerve wrecking, and I am not sure how I would even deal with it if I was put into that situation. You know I use to carry my pistol with me and have no idea why I do. There is no way that I am going to stop it with it , nor am I going to out run it.  I try not to get into the politics of things since it has not really effect me at all, so I am not sure what the fuss is. I am good with the laws as long as we all abide by them I have no problem. I still have the freedom to do what I like when I like with no trouble and I am sure that our fore fathers wanted us to live our lives like this.

These creatures have a freedom that you and I will never understand until we step into their shoes\feet. They have a freedom that none of us cannot fathom and will never be able to live the way they do. To many laws prevent us from living the way they do, to them borders are endless and the wilderness is open to them. If we could switch lives we would switch with them if we could since to them they only understand a world where animals lives and that is the real true meaning of freedom. The not knowing of the knowledge that we as man know now.JMOAMTC :)

Yowie1: One of those "rambo" type hunters I know personally bragged to me and others that if he ever saw one, he was going to "lay it down". He hunted feral hogs and deer mostly, and he hunted the river bottoms. He made that brag for about 10 years. When he was about 27 years old he was walking out of the bottoms from his deer stand just before black dark one day about four years ago. A large male Bigfoot walked out of a cane thicket and onto the trail less than 20 yards in front of him. Both froze and stared at each other for a few seconds before the animals screamed and ran off at high speed.

He made the mistake of telling me and others about his encounter. Of course he was asked by us why he didn't "lay it down". He would always laugh and  say, "Well **** it, I would have, but my dang .308 somehow turned into a BB gun on the spot."

I completely understand.  What I had in front of me - and I had already shucked my 1911 - no way I was going to use it unless we merged.  I had a .308 a few switchbacks lower, and it hit me that I wouldn't have opened up with the .308, either.

Not nearly enough gun, not nearly enough rapid follow on shots.  No way.  No how.

**And Bobby O, you got me.  We technically were Brits fighting Brits.  

Edited by FarArcher

Admin

Yes, FarArcher, that is another theme I have come across in regards to shooting a specimen (and as Branco alluded to). Most folks think they do not have enough gun to bring down one of them, regardless of what they are toting. And there is always that thought there could be more than one of them out there as well.

Guest Cryptic Megafauna

There are some credible (and even more, incredible) reports of Bigfoot being shot.

No one has brought him in, of course there was the freezer creature that I assume must have been a hoax

but did look interesting, non the less. 

Interesting. You guys in Australia waited too long remaining subjects - we fought the Brits and became citizens - so we don't have to have a reason for a firearm.

No, the Brits fought the Brits. Over 90% of the people in those thirteen colonies were British. It was a British Civil War, just fought in a foreign land..;)

Yah.......no. The loyalists saw themselves as British subjects, and they were the minority.

The people in blue shooting at the redcoats saw it vastly different and saw themselves as American colonialists.

The Canadians seem themselves as British because they constantly remind us that "they" burnt down the capitol in 1812.

Edited by norseman
  • Upvote 1

The first immigrant in my family tree came over in 1604, 172 years before the Revolution.  By 1776 my family considered themselves Virginians first and foremost.  Yes, there were ties to Britain, but by then the roots were Virginian.

I'm German Amish on my mother's side and they still say "going out amongst the English are you?"

:)

My friend who was run off the mountain was armed with a shotgun. His advice, don't fire a warning shot, because it charged him after that. Remember in the movie Jaws when he said "we need a bigger boat"?