Analytical Research - Sightings Database

BobbyO

Yes, it would. For instance, this is a small but interesting observation: In John Green's data the first 10 reports starting in 1774 were from the mid to eastern states. Then a rash from the Western regions. I think we can assume it's because there was the installment of Europeans who then headed West. I was toying with the notion that Maybe Sasquatch strted out East of the Mississippi and was then pushed West by intrusions into their habitats but of course there is nothing to support that kind of flawed thinking..

Of course this observation isn't a correct picture but it just goes to show that nothing can be overlooked, especially in the area of chronological trending. Even a small detail like that could make a difference as I think part of the analysis should be aimed at the history of Sasquatch as seen through the reports. Especially since there is no verifiable evolutionary record beyond speculation. 

I also saw mentioned that there were thousands of reports classified into the SSR with hundreds more to go. Is that literally hundreds in that it is almost finished or do those hundreds add up to thousands yet to be done? 

Edited by hiflier

BFF Patron
On 12/22/2016 at 10:10 PM, BigTreeWalker said:

We had an interesting experience with whistling in the area we research. My research partner was in the area one evening and heard whistling. Recorded it as well. It sounded very human but there wasn't any tune to it. He verified that no one else was in the area at the time. The interesting thing is we went into the area a couple months later and we heard whistling, tuneless but almost identical to before. We knew that someone was in there then because their car was parked near ours. The interesting thing is we passed a woman on her way out and she was whistling very tunless. I mentioned to Chris who had heard and recorded the previous whistling that we should have asked her if she goes in there often and if she gets any answers to her whistling. I kick myself that we didn't ask. Anyway this goes along with the thought of learned behavior. Because it sure sounded like whatever was whistling was mimicking what the woman was doing. 

I always wonder when I am out doing field work why a car is parked at the end of one blocked off logging road or another.    Not hunting season,  no sounds of gunshots,  not much reason to be out there except hike and look for BF.    In some cases I see the car at the same place fairly often.   Do I dare check it out and discover a pot grow operation?   Or is it a bigfooter visiting a tribe of BF?      Of course when I am asked why I am there I lie.   Especially if it is a logging company employee that asks.     I am usually a wildlife photographer or a bird watcher.    Well both are true to some extent but it is not honest to lie about it.   

I did encounter a human sounding whistling bird once.     I was sure it was BF because it seemed to be following me and sounded very human but then finally saw the bird which seemed to be following me to some extent.       Point being I guess is that I keep running into normal wildlife that I have not been around before.    There is a lot of stuff out there, some of it migrates, so running into a particular bird species might take you years.     I am still sorting out the different owls.   

• Upvote 1

gigantor  is there a way to see the SSR's database to date in its entirety s in all at once or is the format available only as presented? 

SSR Team
2 hours ago, hiflier said:

I also saw mentioned that there were thousands of reports classified into the SSR with hundreds more to go. Is that literally hundreds in that it is almost finished or do those hundreds add up to thousands yet to be done? 

I'm pretty sure it would be hundreds as opposed to thousands. I'm pretty sure that the East Coast is as close to being done as it can be, but the PNW has tonnes of reports, tonnes, and is still very much works in progress.

I get the feeling more and more each day that I'll probably end up paying someone to add reports later this year as it's just so insanely time consuming for me personally even though I really want to and will, but it just seems like it's a never ending battle at times.

Edited by BobbyO
Grammar

2 hours ago, SWWASAS said:

I always wonder when I am out doing field work why a car is parked at the end of one blocked off logging road or another.    Not hunting season,  no sounds of gunshots,  not much reason to be out there except hike and look for BF.    In some cases I see the car at the same place fairly often.  

Not much reason **you can imagine** ... that does not mean there are not plenty of reasons you can't though.  

Many hunters hunt year around, we just save pulling the trigger for hunting season.   The rest of the year we wander our favorite areas getting ever more familar with the terrain, study what the animals do when they're not being bothered, maybe visit trail cameras.   In fact, visiting trail cameras is a real likely option since most people do not leave them for "deep soaks" of 6-12 months as I do, they often visit weekly or semi-weekly.   It's those frequent visits which, as I've said before, leave trails on the ground that I think a bigfoot can recognize for what they are and use them to avoid trail cameras.  This would certainly lead the same vehicles to appear parked in the same place many times.   You could also be seeing birdwatchers who have found some rare species, people fishing, harvesting wild mushrooms, or even found a really good spot for nude sunbathing.   None of those things precludes any of the others, either, multiple use, once a person finds an area they like and are comfortable in, becomes quite probable.

I think you should be less paranoid.   TALK to people.   Just ask what they're doing, tell them you want to be sure what you're doing isn't causing a problem for what they're doing.  People **appreciate** it.   Most people are pretty cool if you'll just break the ice.

MIB

3 hours ago, hiflier said:

I just added them up 920 total BFRO reports left to classify, and probably many more to edit and correct.

At this point I'm pretty much only working on BFRO reports. Once finished we move on to other databases like John Green's. We need it set up so we can link each report though.

In Oregon (160?), California (190), and Florida (106) alone there are hundreds of BFRO reports left to classify. Another 161 or so (combined) in Georgia (24), South Carolina (29), North Carolina (41), West Virginia (29), Louisiana (25), and New Hampshire (13?). Then there will be Alaska (22?) and all of Canada (290?), places I haven't even looked at yet. There's definitely a light at the end of the long tunnel now, but are still probable months from being done.

46 minutes ago, BobbyO said:

I get the feeling more and more each day that I'll probably end up paying someone to add reports later this year as it's just so insanely time consuming for me personally even though I really want to and will, but it just seems like it's a never ending battle at times.

You're paying? Should I send a bill? :) I already had secret plans to put Washington State into my spreadsheet so I can see what's missing (maybe 100+)

Edited by Redbone
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys, There is no question that you have all come a long, long way in your efforts. There certainly does look to be light at the end of the tunnel as you say. I've been running across columns in John Green's data that are not complete even though there is data elsewhere in other columns that would fill in the blanks. It would appear then that it is time for me to get back to work and expand the existing data into those empty cells that are lacking it. I won't be adding any outside data of course. I would only be taking what already exists and making sure all variables are complete. I can see where some data would be dropped in certain sort functions. Can't have that now can we ;)

SSR Team

RB, WE do it for the love, you know that...;)

WA is done for sure, BFRO definitely plus others, there's not a lot out there that's not in there.

CA and OR, combined we are gonna go close to 1,000 no doubt for those as there are some big state specific databases for those bad boys we where the PNW is concerned, i think we will be looking at just shy of 2,000 which is crazy good data wise..

We do have JG reports in there (WA) but so many JG reports are lacking where data points are concerned that a lot of them are simply not sufficient to add unfortunately.

• Upvote 2

BFF Patron
3 hours ago, MIB said:

Not much reason **you can imagine** ... that does not mean there are not plenty of reasons you can't though.  

Many hunters hunt year around, we just save pulling the trigger for hunting season.   The rest of the year we wander our favorite areas getting ever more familar with the terrain, study what the animals do when they're not being bothered, maybe visit trail cameras.   In fact, visiting trail cameras is a real likely option since most people do not leave them for "deep soaks" of 6-12 months as I do, they often visit weekly or semi-weekly.   It's those frequent visits which, as I've said before, leave trails on the ground that I think a bigfoot can recognize for what they are and use them to avoid trail cameras.  This would certainly lead the same vehicles to appear parked in the same place many times.   You could also be seeing birdwatchers who have found some rare species, people fishing, harvesting wild mushrooms, or even found a really good spot for nude sunbathing.   None of those things precludes any of the others, either, multiple use, once a person finds an area they like and are comfortable in, becomes quite probable.

I think you should be less paranoid.   TALK to people.   Just ask what they're doing, tell them you want to be sure what you're doing isn't causing a problem for what they're doing.  People **appreciate** it.   Most people are pretty cool if you'll just break the ice.

MIB

I think there is some misinterpretation of what I said.    The occasional car I mentioned are often parked where I am driving by on my way to someplace else.   Not much chance to ask anybody anything.     I rarely see anyone else on foot where I normally go.  Those in this area who have been bigfooting for decades caution not to identify your vehicle with stickers or anything associating what you are doing with BF.     They tell me examples of branches through radiators and 4 flat tires, presumably done by loggers.     With cell coverage rare I am not one to take the risk of being stranded in the back country.   If that makes me paranoid then that is what I am.   

With regard to rock throwing, I've got an hypothesis.  It's my impression that there are relatively few reports of bigfoot in conjunction with bears at the same time in the same space.  I know that there is the romanticized image of a grizzly and a squatch locked in mortal combat, but I've always assumed that bears and squatch generally steer clear of each other and that when a squatch wants to encourage a bear to give it wide berth or stay out of an area entirely, it lobs a few well-aimed and painful rocks to encourage the bear to go elsewhere.

It doesn't make sense that a squatch would go anywhere near an adult bear and it does make sense that a squatch would do anything to protect itself and its offspring.  So the capability to throw rocks permits the squatch to both  avoid direct contact with an adult bear and be able to drive one off.

• Upvote 1

Bears and Sasquatch have been sharing habitat for a long time. It could be that tree knocks would accomplish the same thing if a bear wanders around too close. If the creature sees Humans as the same kind of intrusion then a tree knock might be the first go to from experience. It could very well be that a tree knock from far away may be saying two things. There is Sasquatch in the area- but also bears. Either way it would be a power move because it may have proved itself successful in producing the desired result. Of course it wouldn't be a bad thing if it happened to sound like a gun going off, especially where bears are concerned. A sound that it learned to mimic from hunters and their thunder sticks?.

I had a little experience I think I've shared before, but just before we found the first set of elk bones we heard something tearing stumps apart down the hill from us. I didn't know what it was but assumed bear. I knocked two sticks together loudly. Whatever is was quit and took off running towards the big timber. Heard it quite a ways before it's crashing faded. I still think it was a bear and that knock sure made it hightail it out of the area. 

Hmmm. Could take this a step further- speculating of course. If traveling with juveniles a couple of tree knocks would perhaps "clear the area" for the safety of the juveniles and to mitigate having to be placed into a situation that risks a fight and possible injury. An injured animal is at a tremendous disadvantage for becoming prey as well as suffering infection. It all kind of makes much more sense- especially if a tree knock is a pro-active move and not necessarily a defensive one. It might mean that the folks who hear them are not hearing them necessarily because they are in the woods. I may follow that Sasquatch may then not always know it's a Human that has entered the habitat-  its first thought just might be bear. There's more Black Bears than Humans out there anyway. This gives me a lot to think about.