Why Do Skeptics Take Bigfoot Seriously?

Guest OntarioSquatch

Guest thermalman

Because the 15000 year time frame is impossible.

If that's the case. Then Disotell's 12M year old monkey/human ancestry theory is truly UNBELIEVABLE! Disotell is asking us to believe his 12M yo THEORY (first 5 minutes of his audio) , as opposed to believing exact forensic DNA results from Ketchum? Earth calling Disotell!

Edited by thermalman

• 2 weeks later...

Unless of course it is a "scientist" who is giving the anecdote, then it's "observational data" or some such thing.

Because scientists come prepared when observing a phenomenon and have more experience doing so.

If that's the case. Then Disotell's 12M year old monkey/human ancestry theory is truly UNBELIEVABLE! Disotell is asking us to believe his 12M year old THEORY (first 5 minutes of his audio) , as opposed to believing exact forensic DNA results from Ketchum? Earth calling Disotell!

In bold...that's quite a assumption isn't it? EXACT DNA RESULTS??

Ok..now let's compare 12M years to 15K years..that's a THOUSAND FOLD time interval. Yes..it's entirely possible for man to evolve from earlier primates over 12M years. It's NOT possible for a BF to pop up 15K years ago.

Guest OntarioSquatch

I had no idea there are people who are in it just to debate. That really puts things into perspective.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

Guest roblester

Myself, I find it interesting on a lot of topics, paranormal, etc. of the " why do people believe". I used to believe in a lot of things. But after researching, and getting some research from forums like this, I went to the dark side. :)

Why do I get involved?

One reason is above. Another, I had been shown things by " skeptics " that I did not know, or refused to accept. I have now done the same for some. I am not saying, I, or any other skeptic is all ways right, I am just saying sharing resources and facts, and debating is a learning tool for everyone. Without a " skeptic " in a discussion ( one that does not bash, this goes for believers also ) a discussion can just be a pat on the back club. No one learns anything if everyone just believes the others word for it. Facts are great, and I have found, and been shown many to things I took as solid from opinions, or mis-informed people.

Would I like to see a Bigfoot, or any other paranormal thing found to be real?.....Hell yes, that would be awesome. Do I believe it will happen?...Based on history and facts, no.

Because scientists come prepared when observing a phenomenon and have more experience doing so.

Translation: argument from authority. To wit: they're scientists, therefore they are smart and accurate. Lay witnesses are not scientists, and therefore dumb and not accurate.

I had no idea there are people who are in it just to debate. That really puts things into perspective.

I have a certain amount of interest in BF as a topic itself, but I've freely admitted that I enjoy the debate as much as the topic.

It's not that uncommon.

Guest roblester

Some people just really love to debate. What better subject to debate? :)

Gun Control......

That was not a request nor invite....Pure sarcasm.

I like a good mystery. (everyone does!) I don't understand the us vs them mentality that goes on often. To me it's more about: Is there something there? What is it? I think most people are curious about bigfoot, or about other monsters and unusual things that people report. Why would only "believers" be interested?

Translation: argument from authority. To wit: they're scientists, therefore they are smart and accurate. Lay witnesses are not scientists, and therefore dumb and not accurate.

double-facepalm1.jpg

Why not translate ancient Sumerian while you're at it.

Edited by Jerrymanderer

• 4 years later...
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2012 at 10:59 PM, OntarioSquatch said:

I know there are many proponents who take Bigfoot seriously, but then there are also those who say such a thing can't exist and is a waste of time, but at the same time they devote hours each and every day to the subject. How come?

That.Is.Some.Mess.Upedness.

I like bigfootin' because every once in a while you get to see someone have an epic meltdown in public.

• Upvote 2

Guest OntarioSquatch

I did finally figure out the answer to it with the help of some knowledgeable individuals outside of this field of research, and it turns out that it has to do with being highly sensitive to cognitive dissonance. Some individuals find it painful to have contradictory evidence existing in their mind, so they pick one side, and desperately try to dismiss the other. Subjects like conspiracies, cryptozoology, and the paranormal drive these people nuts. 

Based on that, one can infer several insightful things. 1) They wouldn't be in denial if they didn't find the opposing evidence compelling in the first place. 2) They can never be in a position where they properly evaluate the evidence for both in an unbiased manner, as that would be too painful and is what they're trying to avoid in the first place.

Their impaired ability to self-introspect prevents them from understanding their motives.

Edited by OntarioSquatch

• masterbarber locked this topic