Your Sighting..... Would You Forget?

bipedalist

Admin

After reading the above accounts of not recalling even the year for some "possible" encounters, I think we need to further classify....

With a circumstantial event which could possibly be BF related, like finding tracks, hearing howls, etc I can see the witness not recalling the approximate date.

However, when the witness claims a "Class A" sighting event, with a lot of detail of the subject they observed, etc. It is reasonable to expect the witness should recall the approximate date and time. A clear BF sighting is a traumatic event which would affect anyone deeply, no question. Certainly the witness would think about the sighting for a long time after the fact. Perhaps go through a period of denial, analysis, acceptance, etc.

I can't imagine experiencing such an event and not being able to recall the year, month (+/- 2) and the approx time of day. Was it morning? afternoon? evening?

"I don't remember", really?  hummmmm, red flag!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bipedalist said:

My major point is,  he couldn't remember the date, or double-back and figure it out: trust me it doesn't take much if your world is rocked (and, your feet are firmly planted on the ground when it happens) ......I've been there too.

Not taking anything away from your sighting, Salubrious. 

But, honestly or with highest fidelity, I am majorly blown away that some people can't even remember the "year", but that is just me, because at the time, I was on a mission!

Well I certainly don't remember significant or any other event by year, so I assume that many others don't either. I have spent a fair bit of time on occasion trying to deduce what year some event or other happened, by putting together any evidence, written record, sequencing and anchor points that I could figure out.

• Upvote 1

Well, when you're on a mission, you are likely to be focused and that is likely to do a much better job of nailing things down.  I think my tracks (and again, it wasn't an actual encounter with the animal, but I could see the same happening even with that) happened on the first full day of our backpack, but they might have happened the day we started, although it seems to me we started a bit late for this to have happened then.  And never bothering to track exact dates, those are lost to history.

BFF Patron
12 hours ago, gigantor said:

After reading the above accounts of not recalling even the year for some "possible" encounters, I think we need to further classify....

With a circumstantial event which could possibly be BF related, like finding tracks, hearing howls, etc I can see the witness not recalling the approximate date.

However, when the witness claims a "Class A" sighting event, with a lot of detail of the subject they observed, etc. It is reasonable to expect the witness should recall the approximate date and time. A clear BF sighting is a traumatic event which would affect anyone deeply, no question. Certainly the witness would think about the sighting for a long time after the fact. Perhaps go through a period of denial, analysis, acceptance, etc.

I can't imagine experiencing such an event and not being able to recall the year, month (+/- 2) and the approx time of day. Was it morning? afternoon? evening?

This is true.  At the time I was doing daily documentation, sending emails to fellow investigators about my experiences on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, so yes I was doing research when certain events happened.  Still if I hadn't been doing a tremendous amount of audio-recording pre and post sighting with date-stamps and downloads it may have been much harder. 

There was an element of fear involved too, because I delayed nocturnal field deployment for several weeks until I knew if I didn't pull the trigger any audiorecordings of the event would be filtered through hundreds of katydid racket-chirps, as I had done an averaging of first katydid pronouncements over the years and knew those nights were imminent.

Class A is the key, not just an owl hoot, wood knock or bark of a dog kinda event. 

Edited by bipedalist

As an Ontario witness once said, when you see one you don't react the way people think you will.  Not having seen one, I have to go with him.  And I just don't think the date and time are #123 of the number of considerations in my mind after an encounter.

Never a red flag.  Never.  A red flag is clear evidence that what he saw was something other than what he says.  Period.  I can never go for tossing reports for ephemera like date and time. 

As I think I said before, I can't be absolutely sure what year I had my first sighting.   I know it was deer season, so probably October, 'cause we were sitting on a sand bar waiting for my aunt to come off the mountain so she didn't have to walk the rest of the way home.  I remember my cuz was old enough to drive but I wasn't.   That locks it down to 1 of 3 years.   I probably could call another cousin who was staying with us and working for my grandmother that year .. she was only there one year.   But .. does it matter?   '75, '76, or '77 ... does it matter now?   I only remember my second sighting 'cause it was the 2nd saturday of deer season and it was 2013 so it was pretty likely Oct 6.   Almost 4 years later ... does it matter what day it was?  The bigfoot is not there right now.  

The only people it really matters to are those looking for some reason to dismiss what happened.    Does anyone believe I really care what they think?  Does anyone think me so weak that I need their approval?    .. 'cause if you do, I have news for you. 

MIB 

• Upvote 3

^^^That.  The only thing that can discount a report of an occurrence is direct evidence that the witness was wrong.  No yellow flags allowed.  Gotta be a big red one (talk about misunderstood concepts).  A "red flag" says unequivocally:  THIS IS BOGUS.  Not knowing the date or time or phase of the moon?  Nopers, no way.

BFF Patron

First sighting especially to me is a flashbulb memory *Kennedy Assassination" moment.  You remember the nuances and the whole lot. 

Again, it is the Class A (not just a road crossing couldabeen) that makes it that way.

Obviously no "yes or no" answers but here is some research basis to follow:  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201506/the-consistency-flashbulb-memories

Edited by bipedalist

• masterbarber locked this topic