Has Dr. Meldrum's Reputation Or Career Been Damaged By His Involvement With Bigfoot?

What's your beef with Medrum anyway? Why the personal vendetta? If you have a reason man up and spill it, reciting the same "Meldrum Cult" mantra is past the point of just sounding desperate for attention.

On that note I wash my hands of you as well, unless you can articulate a coherent reasoning for your so-called righteous indignation.

Edited by Tautriadelta

Guest HairyGreek

Not getting it in a way that will make anyone listen, that is for sure. You are rude and your logic is as flawed as you claim of those you are here to detract. You are not here to learn or to teach. You are here to preach. Anyone who doesn't agree with you, you accuse them of bias or following a cult-like belief when you know absolutly nothing about them. You are useless. No good to debate or even engage. It's a shame you ruined all the good will you could have made any subsequent arguments with right off the bat. No one here will ever take you seriously as you have just come on here to "poke the bear". You don't even deserve to be called a skeptic. Bon voyage.

Guest Sasquatch Fan 89

Just saw some interviews with him on Youtube, I think I also saw him on Monster Quest. I think his awesome and would try to find more things on his research and such. Hopefully more professionals will be more understanding of what he is interested in. Not saying some aren't just saying hopefully more well.

I'm not sure what the deal is with the anti-Meldrum propaganda, but it seems unwarranted to me. He may pop up on the BF grid more than most, but he isn't parading by any means. He isn't overzealous in his approach, and is pretty cautious how he goes about his BF business. I think he should be applauded for stepping outside the box, and pursuing such a taboo subject within his respective profession. I actually love how un-apologetic he is about it. Why should he be? They ARE absolutely real! He may already know that, btw...There are some 'professionals' who know that they are real, yet choose to act like they pursue them because the 'evidence' warrants doing so, instead of putting their reputation on the line, and stating that they have seen them. I know this for a fact! He may be a cult-hero to some, as Habber so eloquently states, but Meldrum's knowledge, and education FAR surpasses most peoples, so for him to be questioned, and mocked by layman seems laughable to me. I'd say he's more of a rock star, than a cultish pied piper. I guess it all depends what side of the fence you sit on. Even Saskeptic, who is well educated, and a biologist, doesn't lob the proverbial stone at him when afforded the opportunity.

Saskeptic, posts like the one you made earlier are why I tend to listen to your opinions. Well stated, friend.

I also noticed that there was no meaningful rebuttal to your post. Perhaps it was because there was nothing to argue from his point of view. I shouldn't be surprised... That's what logic does. It stymies angry, rhetorical jibberish.

+1, Saskeptic.

Mikey? Is that you?

Yes, Mikey X, Ganglian, etc. I think he even once came on the BFD claiming to be a former Can Can Girl.

He's like a toxic mold, sure, you can beat it back for awhile but it relentlessly keeps creeping back in until you realize the only way to stop it is to burn the house down....lol

As long as there is a BFF there will always be a Ganglian in some shape or form. He is to sockpuppets what Bozo is to clowns. The absolute best.

Even Saskeptic . . . doesn't lob the proverbial stone at him when afforded the opportunity.

Oh sure I do. Don't be giving me a free pass now, just because I sound more polite in my posts than some other folks do!

There are things for which Meldrum deserves credit and things for which he invites criticism. "Habber's" manners notwithstanding, I agree with him that many bigfooters reject the opinions of a collective thousands of biologists and other scientists in favor of one guy (Meldrum) who says what they want to hear. Habber may be one of the folks who is convinced that Jeff Meldrum knows darned well that there is no bigfoot, but he maintains the ruse for the many benefits (attention, money, notoriety) that his involvement in the phenomenon provides. That's an extreme view and even too cynical for me, but at the same time, I'm not holding my breath for Jeff Meldrum to "discover bigfoot" any time soon.

I also noticed that there was no meaningful rebuttal to your post. Perhaps it was because there was nothing to argue from his point of view. I shouldn't be surprised... That's what logic does. It stymies angry, rhetorical jibberish.

Thanks for the kind words.

Any discussion of Meldrum's career should be placed in the context of his academic position, and academia has its own weird subculture that might not be at all intuitive to folks from other walks of life. If I've shed some light on that and helped people see some perspective, great!

I think it boils down to this that someone alluded to way upthread: No one is forcing Jeff Meldrum to study bigfoot and he knows that by putting himself out there that he opens himself to criticism. He is, however, a professional, and fully capable of taking care of himself.

All discussion about Dr Meldrum should be done in a way that falls within the guidelines and rules set by these boards.

He is a member here, and has the very same protections afforded to him, as all of you do..

Without mentioning names, some of the newer members should take some time to familiarize themselves with said rules and guidelines.

There will be some forthcoming PM's, and any more discussion about him should be limited to his work and field of study only...

Thank you.

Art

Just an update folks- so far today there have been THIRTEEN posts removed from this thread.

Most have been from one member, but a few are from other's who quoted this member.

Apologies for removing some of the "other" posts, but instead of having to go in an edit out the quotes on all of them- I made the decision to remove them as well....

I will say again today...

DR. MELDRUM IS A MEMBER HERE... So, he should be afforded the same level of respect that staff expects from all members when addressing each other, or commenting on each other's content.

It IS possible to disagree, while maintaining civility and expressing oneself in way that doesn't become rude and insulting.

This thread is (now) being closely watched due to several reports yesterday, and a couple more last night.

I would advise any detractors to choose their words carefully, and to keep them in reference to the content of other posters, or in Dr Meldrum's case- limited to his work, and past/current research.

Questions of motive, name calling, and other rude behavior will NOT be tolerated.

Thank you for your kind attention....

Art

With respect to his association with bigfoot, I would say that he's generally not highly regarded by the scientific community. Opinions range from that he's a well-meaning guy who's simply fallen prey to logical fallacies and wishful thinking, to that he's really trying to give this topic a fair shake but has lost his objectivity, to that he's actively engaging in fraud and deception to keep promoting himself as a bigfoot expert so that he can sell books, appear on television, etc.

How in the world could you know that he's not hightly regarded by the scientific community in regards to his association with bigfoot? Do you know everyone in the community and all their opinions (and the range of those opinions)? You do know that he's on the council for the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Pacific Division, right? You do know that he has given talks/posters on his bigfoot research at their conferences, right? You do know that the AAAS recently did an 5 Things about Jeff Meldrum in their newsletter where he talks about bigfoot, right? You do know who is on the review board of the RHI and who wrote the forward for his book, right? I don't think any of that would be possible if some in the scientific community didn't hold him in high regard.

• Upvote 1

BFF Patron

You think it's a joke, it's not as transparent to a host of others. Elbow-bending, finger-breaking much?!

Mods interjected because a rule was being skirted as membership in the forum requires focusing on arguments and not people's characteristics and challenges of their veracity in so many terms.

They were in the "right" and I'm sure further discussion down that line will make it very clear how right they were.