The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Either there has never been a sample collected in history or is is too difficult to say what a sequence is without some kind of reference.

The problem is that the sequence matches a reference that doesn't fit peoples concept of what BF is.

You'll not find a DNA result that doesn't match a reference, except in the Ketchum study nuDNA results to this date.

Guest JiggyPotamus

People are saying the same types of things they were saying about the Ketchum study, from what I can tell at least. The one thing that I keep wondering is what are people going to say IF there does prove to be some correlation between the little data that was actually contained in the Ketchum report, and this new one? From what I could tell there actually WAS real data in that report, despite what some have stated. 

I think this project will be more prestigious than the aforementioned, but whether we get results, who knows? Obviously something or someone is driving these efforts, which is the third independent effort, to my knowledge, towards this type of project.

Guest SDBigfooter

By the way there was no successful DNA testing done on the Hobbit.  What is interesting is that everything we know about them is based on physical comparisons of other known animals.

Reading up on it, and from what I remember, there was a fair amount of controversy in what it actually is. 

It seems that they had a lot of primitive, apelike features.  Some say it is the orang pendek.

Some interesting quotes from wikipedia:

"absence of a chin"

"thickness of the leg bones"

"resemble the wrist of great african apes"

"feet..unusually flat and unusually long"

"toes had an unusual shape and the big toe was very short"

"remarkably small brain size"

"indicator of intelligence" with an "area of the brain associated with higher cognition"

Probably off topic a little but an interesting discovery process overall.

NEW STATEMENT BY MULLIS, from bigfootolgy FB account:

"I wrote this in response to a poster below and I thought I would repost this as a main string:

Jeff, unfortunately it is true. Some people like to seek their own notoriety and there are others that like to make fools of people by committing hoaxes. It is a twisted thrill for them. It all just damages what is credible out there and that is unfortunate. In science there is an ego epidemic that makes some scientists want to be first in discovery and that can often cause a compromise in the integrity of the research. Real science takes time as well as reinforced secondary validation takes time, and most people outside the world of science are impatient, and the latent pressure on some scientists can make them sloppy and compromised. I know it has frustrated a lot of people because I turn down opportunities to be on some show, or some radio program, or avoid posting here for a period of time until I can safely say something, because we would rather focus on the legitimate science not on our egos. And staying quiet actually avoids leaks and the compromising of scientific integrity. I have also repeatedly said that I do not care who is first just as long as they maintain research integrity so that the naysayers do not have any ammunition to doubt research findings. That is why Bigfootology encourages and supports the work of Bigfoot researchers and groups around the world.

Lastly, I kept warning the bloggers and the media to not to publish rumors, not to publish misinformation, to not sensationalize and hype the documentaries, and some listened, some did not, and one even unfriended me, blocked me and started publicly calling me an idiot. I tried to protect their integrity but some egos are too big to listen.

The documentary is entertainment, rehashing the same old novice thinking that comes from a film company, producers, and a host that thinks the are being novel in their approach but it is just the same old error-ridden conclusions, and their attempt at the legitimacy of their program is to intermingle some of the results of samples provided by the general public to Dr. Bryan Sykes. It falls short.

The truth is that Bryan and I were highly frustrated with Icon Films, so much so that we felt it tiresome to work with them. They attempted to cut out Bryan and myself from all of the filming, but we were successful in leveraging for Bryan to be included in the filming by telling them that I was withholding other planned filming location if Bryan was not there. They were making a documentary about Bryan and this project, so why cut him out of it? It made no sense. But now we know that it is just a show about the global phenomenon of Bigfoot and they use Bryan as a side-show to legitimize their attempts to rationalize novice conclusions. 

Bryan and I were filmed for 3 days and I was supposed to be a part of the filming in Northern California as well but they cut me out of that, and it appears that the three days of filming with me ended up on the cutting room floor. Bryan did not go to Nepal, as he was cut out of that as well. I was there when Mark Evans handed over the Nepalese samples to Bryan on the Olympic Peninsula after they finished filming with Derek Randles. They also cut him out of filming in Russia and they finally compromised by allowing Bryan to reveal in Moscow and that was it. They also tried to cut Bryan out of Northern California and the Lummi and that is when I strong-armed them telling them if Bryan is not there then I was pulling all filming that I had arranged. So they flew him down to Northern California, but they told me not to come after all. 

I think my demands on them got me cut from the show. We filmed at my house, all during the drive up to the Lummi, on the Lummi and on the peninsulsa, and doing multiple exterior shots of us driving the Bigfootology-mobile and then filming on the Lummi. The Lummi were very hospitable and we were allowed access to a very culturally sensitive, sacred site, and instead of running with the respectable member of the Lummi, they chose to run with someone who has had issues with the Lummi leadership, and it will end up being a slap in the face of the Lummi. I anticipate that I am also going to have to deal with the fallout on their decision to do so. 

I am afraid that Icon Films missed the boat on what is important and I have emailed them and communicated my disappointment that they did not take up my offer for me to go with them and consult for the entire show to help them avoid embarrassment for their novice conclusions and focus. I did consult for the show when they were in America, but not completely, voluntarily, constantly talking back and forth to help them arrange for shooting locales and people, and warning them about some things and trying to steer them in the right direction. They should have brought me on for the entire program(s) and I would have helped them avoid the double-bear paw argument which was something that the Bigfoot community answered decades ago because there is a difference between the double-paw track of a bear and a Bigfoot track. I could have told them about the eating habits and the communication whistle calls which should have told an experienced Bigfooter that what the Sherpa was describing was the man-sized yeti as opposed to the Dzu-Teh which is a large and historically speculated to be a bear which is what the show focused on. Again, nothing new, so this was a novice mistake they could have avoided by asking an experienced Bigfoot researcher. 

I know the Bigfoot community can be disappointed over a proposed yeti hair to be an extinct bear, but the reality is that the discovery of a living extinct bear is quite significantly a huge discovery in the world of zoology. The science world went crazy when other extinct species were rediscovered as living (Lancetfish, Hagfish, Frilled Shark, Coelacanth, Javan elephants, Woolly Flying Squirel, and more). A living extinct bear is quite exciting from the zoological-science perspective. Does that mean we believe the all yeti’s are bears? Not at all, otherwise we would not offer and welcome the opportunity to test more potential yeti hairs.

I can go on and on. Bryan and I were grateful to finally be done with the filming so we can talk about more important matters in life like the “actual†DNA project, our other projects that we have not discussed publicly, and as well talking about even more important subjects like fishing, working on cars, and talking about our wives and children (mostly about our wives). Oh, and enjoying a good cold beer while talking over matters while watching the beauty of the Puget Sound in front of us, being entertaibed by the waves. the Washington State Ferries passing by, and seagulls singing overhead. It has been a great time in that respect.

The one thing that is good, organizationally, is that Bigfootology and Bigfootologist are now terms that are becoming universally recognizable and legitimate. I coined these terms back in the early 1990’s to simple explain what I do when I am asked by others, and I did get some complaints by some when I changed the name from S.I.R. Bigfoot to Bigfootology over three years ago, but the reality is that despite the hundreds of cultural names for Bigfoot, Bigfoot is a more universally recognized term so I stuck with it. This film crew asked permission to use the terms and I said yes because Bigfootology is trademarked. So it is nice to see that Bigfootology and Bigfootologists are catching on as a way of recognizing what all of us do. That is why I say that all of us are Bigfootology. So we will continue to stay focused on one thing and that is the global study of the Bigfoot phenomenon and we do have one outstanding team.

Rhettman A. Mullis, Jr., MS, PhD-ABD, CAF, MHP"

"By the way there was no successful DNA testing done on the Hobbit. "

That's right; they were really keen on recovering some DNA in order to confirm or disprove that they were a separate species.  They couldn't find any, which may not be surprising in a tropical setting.

Thanks Rhettman. Was there any truth to the rumour of Brian having an "experience" in the PNW forest during his recent visit ?

Big Stinky

NEW STATEMENT BY MULLIS, from bigfootolgy FB account:

...The documentary is entertainment, rehashing the same old novice thinking that comes from a film company, producers, and a host that thinks the are being novel in their approach but it is just the same old error-ridden conclusions, and their attempt at the legitimacy of their program is to intermingle some of the results of samples provided by the general public to Dr. Bryan Sykes. It falls short.

The truth is that Bryan and I were highly frustrated with Icon Films, so much so that we felt it tiresome to work with them...

Now I regret all of the comments I made about Sykes only being in this for the money. They were based on the mistaken assumption that he was in control of the production so apparently the film production company is the entity I should have disdain for.  I should have known better, but I'm still left not knowing what to think of the man or his project so I am even more cynical about everything. For example, is he in full control of what is published in his book? Are the conclusions of the show his conclusions?  What about other publications and productions - how compromised or independent are they?

I can go on and on. Bryan and I were grateful to finally be done with the filming so we can talk about more important matters in life like the “actual†DNA project, our other projects that we have not discussed publicly,

Okay, how many different projects do they have going on? One behind the scenes and one for the show?

Guest OntarioSquatch

That's pretty hilarious. I also find it funny that he complains about other people's egos when he's been desperately inflating his own the for past year.

"Bigfootology-mobile" ?   I'm sorry, but am I the only one who finds that hilarious?

They also have the bigfootology signal, which commisioner Gordon lights up when he needs them to answer the bigfootology phone that they keep in the bigfootology cave.