Operation Persistence

When the cameras were moved from the cabin(s) to the hillside the activity moved from the hillside to the cabin(s). When the cameras were moved down from the hillside I assume the activities shifted as well? I wonder why all of the cameras were moved, I would have assumed that some would have been left to observe the cabin(s) area.

There was always activity on the hillside. Even with all the cameras we put up there, we weren't covering a very significant percentage of it. They're fairly easy to avoid if you want to. But yes, once the cameras left the area immediately around the cabin, it was our distinct impression that activity very close to it increased dramatically. We did eventually pull the cameras down from the hillside, but that was mostly because we were pulling out and the other team wouldn't have been able to find them all and might have wanted to deploy them differently. Also, they didn't capture any images. Remember, we've determined that even if they're placed correctly, even the most expensive models don't fire when they're supposed to.

What efforts have been made around extreme concealment of the cameras, as it appears that the subjects tend to make every effort to avoid known cameras? This could include placing the cameras extremely high in a tree or using sufficient camouflage. Have either of these techniques (or others) been attempted?

Personally, I've tried placing cameras in and amongst piles of rocks or inside the crooks of tree roots, etc. As a group, we've attempted camouflage on cameras and have discussed more extreme options. We plan on performing tests on the cameras over the winter to determine if they're emitting any sounds or IR when in passive mode (though I can tell you they *don't* emit IR until they fire and, if you're wearing high quality nightvision as I was when I learned this, they're bright as hell). The thing is, we're now of the opinion that the apes are more than capable of observing when we're deploying the cameras. Coyotes do the same thing. Even if you did something like hollow out a tree or whatever, it's likely they'd know the cameras were there (in our opinion). As I said above, we're exploring other camera tech now for use next year. We're not convinced any game cam will work in our situation. They're best use for us are as tactical devices to funnel activity in one direction or another.

The other thing that has been mentioned is GoPro or similar cameras worn by the investigators. One technique that might work is a head-mounted camera and a wired remote. The wire would run down the sleeve of the user...

This sounds like what you're talking about. We're evaluating it now. One of the main drawback of a GoPro (speaking from experience) is that head-mounting them can be a painful experience after a while (I've used both they're strap and a helmet). This other camera looks like it would be lighter and has the remote controls you're talking about. Still, I'd probably just leave it recording at all times.

Edited by bipto

WOW!

@Bipto

Have you (or other TBRC members) had a clear visual encounter where the animals were engaged in quadrepedal motion? If so did it appear to match the posture and appearance of the animal in these photos?

Based on your visual encounters, and discussing visual encounters with other team members, is there a wide variation between in facial feautres, ie do some of their faces look more Gorilla-like, and some more human in appearance (hooded nose, etc)?

It looks extremely similar to a Gorilla. If it weren't for a well known investigator visiting the actual site, I would assume that it was a Gorilla.

As far as the GoPro.......It sounds odd, but I was thinking that if someone had some type of hood made (similar to bank-robbers wearing hose over their heads) silkscreened so that it appeared that you were facing the other direction, as long as you were stationary....maybe it would increase the chances of seeing them when they are concealed nearby.

I actually had a guy argue with me on another thread: sure we ignore sighting reports! They couldn't hide in the places you say they're seen.

Obviously, they aren't hiding very well if they are seen...

Have you (or other TBRC members) had a clear visual encounter where the animals were engaged in quadrepedal motion? If so did it appear to match the posture and appearance of the animal in these photos?

The animals we saw in May were running bent over with their heads down, but not with their arms (they appeared to be tucked up by their sides). Alton Higgins saw one run the same way a number of years ago now. So no, they didn't look like the image in the BFRO report, but that's not to say the BFRO report's images is or is not a wood ape.

Based on your visual encounters, and discussing visual encounters with other team members, is there a wide variation between in facial feautres, ie do some of their faces look more Gorilla-like, and some more human in appearance (hooded nose, etc)?

We haven't had any clear visuals of faces in X.

It looks extremely similar to a Gorilla. If it weren't for a well known investigator visiting the actual site, I would assume that it was a Gorilla.

It does. It instantly reminded me of the Prince Edward Island video figure, to be honest.

Bipto after reading much of this thread during the incident that took place where shots were fired and your organization ended up paying for damage to a vehicle, there was an official police report made? Does that report state what reasons the person on your team was firing their weapon at? (aka, firing at bigfoot, or a bipedal wood ape) What specifically did the shooter say why he was firing, and at what on that police report? (one of the five shooting incidents where you described someone fleeing nearby)

Edited by LWD

Guest OntarioSquatch

Obviously, they aren't hiding very well if they are seen...

I've read that Sasquatch will sometimes choose to come close and investigate just out of curiosity. This is often when they end up being seen if they slip up. I think curiosity might just get the best of them sometimes.

Hey Bipto,

I tell ya I find this whole "study" (if that's what you're calling it) at Area X absolutely fascinating. I really enjoyed the radio shows that talked about it and the activities that went on and what members saw and done during their time there. I ask myself if I would want to go and spend a week there and do what I could for the cause and a big part of me says "OH YEAH" while another part of me would be scared to death that I would have an encounter. You have talked to all of the members that have went there I'm guessing, how many of them had reservations or out right fear before going there? How do you feel before going in to spend a week or so?

As for the cabin, Sassy is said to be a curious critter, has anyone seen Sassy looking in one of the cabin windows during the day or particularly at night when it would be harder to see them? What about any indications that Sassy has been in the cabin looking around?

I would think that Sassy at some point when no one was there, would go into that cabin. I would just about bet that if there were Grizzly bears in that area sooner or later one of them would get in that cabin to have a look see. I just wonder if Sassy is as curious.

Are there any plans on having a radio show going into more detail about sightings and activities at X? Aren't you all about due for a new show?

Thanks,

Nalajr

...was an official police report made?

I honestly have no idea.

With regard to the rest of your questions, I believe that was all well covered in the Operation Endurance thread.

I think curiosity might just get the best of them sometimes.

Absolutely. I believe they are drawn to human activity.

...how many of them had reservations or out right fear before going there? How do you feel before going in to spend a week or so?

None expressed any reservations prior to going in, but I can tell you that personally the experience of the week I spent there in May stuck with me for quite a while. I wasn't at all anxious to return to X at first but, after a while, I got the itch and was back down there in early October. Next year, I hope to be able to go for longer than a week. We have some members who are planning for a month straight. As we said on BFS 39, Travis has been down there literally months at a time.

As for the cabin, Sassy is said to be a curious critter, has anyone seen Sassy looking in one of the cabin windows during the day or particularly at night when it would be harder to see them?

At night, yes. But I'll leave it at that for the time being.

What about any indications that Sassy has been in the cabin looking around?

The cabin has had bears in it before (hard to miss when that's happened), but we don't have any solid reason to believe the apes have been in there. It's not impossible.

Are there any plans on having a radio show going into more detail about sightings and activities at X?

There's not a lot to talk about right now since the operation is over and winter is a pretty slow time in X.

Aren't you all about due for a new show?

We just put out two in two weeks!

Bipto, has any of the Sas activity given you some kind of feel for the big man's sleeping habits? Despite the many reports I have read, I still cannot work out if these are predominantly nocturnal creatures and how much they sleep.

Some animals (don't mean to offend anyone here) don't need sleep. Humans mentally *have to* sleep, but I believe it may be just a genetic or neurological thing as there is at least one modern day example of a guy who did not sleep and was none the worse for it.

We went into last year thinking they were nocturnal but now think they're diurnal. Honestly, we don't know when the damned things sleep. There's activity at all hours. Note that there's also a moon phase element. They're bolder when moonlight isn't a factor. We think they can see very, very well in the dark.

In any event, they appear to be flexible enough to operate whenever they want. This question is related to their total number. It's not possible for an animal to be present 24/7. It has to sleep and eat. So are we seeing multiple "shifts" where different animals are around at different times of the day? No idea.

Could be that they need very little sleep.

I operate off 6 hrs a day, I have a pal who takes only 4. Who is to say that Sas doesn't need too much, and just rests up every now and then.

I've read that Sasquatch will sometimes choose to come close and investigate just out of curiosity. This is often when they end up being seen if they slip up. I think curiosity might just get the best of them sometimes.

....and look what curiosity did to the proverbial cat.
....has anyone seen Sassy looking in one of the cabin windows during the day or particularly at night when it would be harder to see them?
At night, yes. But I'll leave it at that for the time being.

Oh. Hell. No. Writing an essay on lessons learned from LOBC should be part of the TBRC initiation process. A couple layers of 3/4" plywood and some 4" screws would make a lovely window dressing, don't you think?

Have you guys tried callblasting "The Ballad of Smokey Crabtree", to see if they respond? They'll probably go berserk and start pulling people limb from limb.

Edited by Irish73

Have you guys tried callblasting "The Ballad of Smokey Crabtree", to see if they respond?

We would, but we're not trying to make anything (or anyone) suffer unduly.

I honestly have no idea.

With regard to the rest of your questions, I believe that was all well covered in the Operation Endurance thread.

Actually, it wasn't. That is why I'm asking about it. If possible can you ask the members involved to clarify about that? Police reports are public record, and it could do a lot to verify your groups story. It could also do the opposite if the events were misrepresented. Which law enforcement agency got involved? According to your previous posts, the parties fleeing called the cops and there was a report made, and your group paid for repairs on the fleeing vehicle.

I think this is important to study a little closer. I'd like to see a copy of that report. They are public record.