Opinions on Sasquatches and Game cams

DarkEyes

12 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

and what various animals can or cannot see,

Yes, animal vision is complicated and much of it is unknown to us. Consider 'hunter orange / red' which keeps us from being shot by an armed person with a huge scope. Bears and deers can't see the color red as a color. It is a 'grey scale' to them. Deer have been studied a lot. A basic primer comparing human and deer vision is available from the company 'Atsko'. Naturally, Atsko wants their products sold frequently. Scholars have studied animal vision and some of their papers are available online.

There is very little red light under a forest canopy. Light in a forest is complicated. Moon light is about a wave length of 450nm, starlight about 550nm depending on atmospheric conditions. Animal vision, including us, has peak sensitivity at about 550nm.  After we mount a trail camera and admire the placement / camo, we have to consider that most other animals don't see the colors and grey scales as we do.

Remember years ago, some trail camera manufacturers had a chunk of white plastic as the lens for the PIR? Smooth move. Stood out like a piece of white plastic on a tree. Green plastic housings are the worst. The green color in the plastic can not match a biological green, and stands out,  especially at sunrise and sunset when the color temperature of daylight is shifted far away from solar noon.

When in doubt, ASAT.

Deer vision.jpg

Edited by Catmandoo
text
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Yes, animal vision is complicated and much of it is unknown to us. Consider 'hunter orange / red' which keeps us from being shot by an armed person with a huge scope. Bears and deers can't see the color red as a color……

Green plastic housings are the worst. The green color in the plastic can not match a biological green, and stands out,  especially at sunrise and sunset when the color temperature of daylight is shifted far away from solar noon.

When in doubt, ASAT.

Deer vision.jpg

A lot of good information here.   A great example of how we are trying to compare Apples to XXX when XXX is 100% unknown.   We all just take WAG’s.  🤷🏻🤷🏻

3 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

Dolphins have evolved electroreception in structures different from those of fish, amphibians and monotremes. The hairless vibrissal crypts on the rostrum of the Guiana dolphin (Sotalia guianensis), originally associated with mammalian whiskers, are capable of electroreception as low as 4.8 μV/cm, sufficient to detect small fish. This is comparable to the sensitivity of electroreceptors in the platypus.

The platypus may not be the only monotreme with electroreception, but its sensory structures are the most complex.

About 40,000 specialized electroreceptor skin cells are arranged in stripes on the top and underside of its bill. Echidna species have anywhere from 2,000 to as few as 400, as is the case with the short-billed echidna. This species, which is found in dry habitats, has what researchers think is “no more than a remnant of this sensory system.”

Given that we just don't know what Sasquatch is, its not impossible that they have some similar wiring.

The dolphins and platypus are in liquid environments. Dolphins in an electrolyte and platypus wet and dry. We know sharks are sensitive to weak electrical currents. Sensors around their mouths dictate when to bite. Sharks can be confused by magnets. I can't remember if permanent or ceramic type magnets work best. Magnets really foul up the sensory perception of a shark.

Moving on to dry environments, vertebrates have evolved to have high degrees of perception. We have expressions like 'hawk eye' and 'eagle eye'. Owls have excellent vision but hunt very well via sound. They hear rodents burrowing under snow and pounce on them without seeing them. I think that Ravens see everything.

Bear noses are very sensitive. The turkey vulture may have the title for longest distance to smell blood.

The animal kingdom has amazing mutations. 

Sasquatch have excellent vision but they can't see getting close to humans. They smell us a mile away. They hear us, especially our vehicles.

If you want to change your sneaky habits, try wearing wool and cotton clothes as those materials are a lot quieter than synthetics. Smell different too.  For your electro potential, ground yourself at your foot wear. Wearing footwear that grounds also has some protection from car thieves that try to taser you. Tasers don't work on persons who are grounded. I am not sure how grounding footwear works out in a non-urban lightning strike scenario.

41 minutes ago, Twist said:

A lot of good information here.   A great example of how we are trying to compare Apples to XXX when XXX is 100% unknown.   We all just take WAG’s.  🤷🏻🤷🏻

I don’t think it’s a WAG to assume Bigfoot is a higher primate and therefore it has trichromatic vision. Just like us. Like Neanderthals it probably has a lot larger eyes than ours which gives it better night vision as well. This is simply based on morphology of witness accounts and what photos and videos we do have.

If it’s real? It’s obviously rare, it’s also reclusive, and very smart. I don’t know how smart, but as a great ape or proto human, it will be the smartest thing in the North American forest outside of us. We are dealing with something outside of the conventional wisdom of animal behaviors. If we were not? Jane Goodall would be out there grooming them. 

So despite our lack of understanding? We should through anthropology and biology have a decent grasp on what a bipedal ape man is or isn’t. No platypus needed.

36 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

........They smell us a mile away........

Many humans claim that they can smell sasquatches from afar, too.

4 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Many humans claim that they can smell sasquatches from afar, too.

Yes, their olfactory signaling is unique, nothing like it. When the hair on the back of your neck stands up ( genetic memory response ) and your sinus membranes burn, you know that your are doing good. 

What about the hair signal before other sensory input? Heard it from a local, as well as other reports. Now I'm being lazy, but hope for cliff notes. 

1 hour ago, JKH said:

What about the hair signal before other sensory input? Heard it from a local, as well as other reports. Now I'm being lazy, but hope for cliff notes. 

I am a simultaneously hair-smell guy. You never forget the smell. Never been zapped, probably because I leave them really good stuff.

9 hours ago, JKH said:

I don't think I've heard of that .. what is it?

Camera vs Smell

I don't know if most people who report an encounter report a bigfoot smell or not.  Is that typical?   Roger and Bob reported a smell of a wet dog that rolled around in something coinciding with the PGF bigfoot encounter.

Any trail cam relies on motion and battery power and other limiting factors.   The primary thing to my thinking is line of sight.  If some Cam was aimed at a trail, it can really only image what in in the clear line of sight.   Smells on the other hand can go pretty far to just human senses. If a dog could be trained, I would think it could track a bigfoot for miles as it can smell small traces of what we can't smell.

I have to guess the trick would be to have getting an actual Bigfoot target scent as the basis for the tracking.   <---  I don't know how you do that.  Do you have them smell the tracks thought to be left by Bigfoot? 

I have to think a trail cam might be limited to a small straighter line of sight of say a football field.  The smell of something would go out for 1000's of feet or more.  To a dog it could be really far.  Maybe smell is a better way to go.

1 hour ago, MIB said:

I took it to mean like your hair standing on end?

40 minutes ago, Backdoc said:

If a dog could be trained, I would think it could track a bigfoot for miles as it can smell small traces of what we can't smell.

Without a doubt, but would it.  I doubt a wolf pack would follow one.

2 hours ago, MIB said:

Hair raising on body and head, before seeing, hearing, or smelling anything else. One guy told me this happened to him, followed by a low growl. I think I've heard it spoken of by others online.

1 hour ago, norseman said:

I took it to mean like your hair standing on end?

47 minutes ago, JKH said:

Hair raising on body and head, before seeing, hearing, or smelling anything else. One guy told me this happened to him, followed by a low growl. I think I've heard it spoken of by others online.

Ok, thanks for clarifying.    I have heard of it but not experienced it.   I've had the feeling many times in the woods but there's no overlap between those instances and instances where I was aware of a bigfoot nearby.    Lot of rationalizing involved for the root cause.   Nothing I'd count as evidence.    When they are around and I know it, it's a lot more cool than scary.   It's a grin + "well what are the odds of that?" situation.  

• Upvote 1