Interview With Dr. Meldrum

Incorrigible1

When I open your link? I just see a menu.

I've done something new this year workwise and am working at a high school as an Instructional Aide instead of at a preschool. One of my classes is Native American history, and we touched on the land bridge theory about the Bering Straight and lower sea levels leading to creatures crossing here and there. We looked at gigantism, and what creatures those unfortunate First Nation people had to deal with! The Pleistocene megafauna were no joke. The reason humans survived is because of tools, weapons, fire, their intelligence and ability to work together as a group. A sasquatch coming here from Asia would not have those things. Getting bigger in response would be appropriate. So would going nocturnal, in order to avoid us daytime-loving humans. Fascinating to think about. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Madison5716 said:

I've done something new this year workwise and am working at a high school as an Instructional Aide instead of at a preschool. One of my classes is Native American history, and we touched on the land bridge theory about the Bering Straight and lower sea levels leading to creatures crossing here and there. We looked at gigantism, and what creatures those unfortunate First Nation people had to deal with! The Pleistocene megafauna were no joke. The reason humans survived is because of tools, weapons, fire, their intelligence and ability to work together as a group. A sasquatch coming here from Asia would not have those things. Getting bigger in response would be appropriate. So would going nocturnal, in order to avoid us daytime-loving humans. Fascinating to think about. 

People scream when I post them. So I won’t again. But videos show 100s of sub Saharan Africans just pin cushioning large dangerous animals. All of these warriors carrying 5-10 javelins and they just go to work. They are relentless. Elephants, hippos, Lions, etc. It doesn’t matter. It’s like watching ants attack a giant grass hopper. They just swarm it, kill it, dismember it and pack it off. We are truly a terrifying species.

• Like 1

I’ve never met Dr. Meldrum.    Just because Meldrum said something doesn't mean he’s always right or is unimpeachable.  I also think Dr. Meldrum would agree with me every claim should be impeachable or questioned even his own.   

That all being said, here is my general impression of some of Dr. Meldrum’s great attributes generally:

-The guy knows what he is talking about.  He is an actual well-credentialed and educated expert vs some one who took one night class.  

-He sticks to what the evidence shows or what it suggests.

-He is open to going to where the evidence takes him and yet not afraid to update his position with new information 

-when he gives various opinions on his these Tv shows, any skeptic scientists offered never seem to attack what Meldrum says.   They just say things like Bigfoot is not proven, but never have anything to attack Dr. Meldrum about.  Think about that: None of these scientist are ever willing to say Dr. Meldrum is wrong or he’s applying science improperly.   Most of the time they are very complementary of him.

Thanks Dr. meldrum.

The subject of Bigfoot is often looked at with skepticism or outright laughter.   Because if this, the subject of Bigfoot needs to put the best face on the opinions.   That means these rare people like Dr. Jeff Meldrum and others are extremely valuable and essential for the skeptic class to even consider Bigfoot might exist.   They speak the language of their experts in their fields and have credibility.  This is essential.   Gone are the Peter Graves Bigfoot days.   

Where science is lacking or opinions are few, that void is often replaced by well-meaning amateurs who often lack any credentials.   This problem is magnified by many who also have such a strong bias to go along with their clumsy arguments or lack of credentials.   Their cringeworthy presentation is outright damaging to the subject.

image.jpeg.9c1ea97dd54dbf3d1d635e1131441104.jpeg

The primary attack I’ve seen on the BFF for Dr. Meldrum is old quote mining.   These posters find some past opinion years before - one he no longer holds- in an effort to discredit him.  They never mention the position at the time is no longer his present opinion.  Beyond that, it seems what he actually states stands pretty strong.  

Until we get more Dr. Meldrum types in various disciplines ( and a chance for them to be heard), the subject will languish until a Bigfoot is shot.  

On 6/7/2024 at 9:55 PM, Madison5716 said:

One of my classes is Native American history, and we touched on the land bridge theory about the Bering Straight and lower sea levels leading to creatures crossing here and there. We looked at gigantism, and what creatures those unfortunate First Nation people had to deal with! The Pleistocene megafauna were no joke.

Good luck with that. It is a huge challenge. The topic of Sasquatch traveling over Beringia is part of the debate.

Over the past 500,000 years, there have been 5 glacial periods. Beringia rises and lowers, dries out and floods with each glacial stage. Lots of history is buried and washed out to sea. Pick a glacial period and wonder what animals crossed back and forth. Bison and horses traveled from North America to Asia. The first vegetation after the ice corridor opens are grasses and sedges. That is food for migrating grazers.

The area above the Arctic Circle was not an ice ball. In Alaska, the Mesa Site has not been glaciated in over 2 million years. The Mesa Site was an ancient hunting and look out location. The projectile points found there date back about 12,000 years. The distinctiveness of the points suggests multicultural occupation over a 2,000 year period. The question is who was at the Mesa Site during the previous glacial Period?

In the far east Russian Arctic, above the Arctic Circle, is Lake El'gygytgyn. The lake was formed about 3.58 million years ago by  meteor impact. It has not been glaciated but does freeze over. Tools and points have been found by the lake.

The Arctic had room for animals and humans. The humans were not 'javelin' chuckers. Wood products for weapons is a mystery. For fires, they burned bones and their descendants taught the Arctic explorers of the early 20th century to burn bones. 

The travelers during the previous glacial periods  make for a good debate.

20 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

Good luck with that. It is a huge challenge. The topic of Sasquatch traveling over Beringia is part of the debate.

Over the past 500,000 years, there have been 5 glacial periods. Beringia rises and lowers, dries out and floods with each glacial stage. Lots of history is buried and washed out to sea. Pick a glacial period and wonder what animals crossed back and forth. Bison and horses traveled from North America to Asia. The first vegetation after the ice corridor opens are grasses and sedges. That is food for migrating grazers.

The area above the Arctic Circle was not an ice ball. In Alaska, the Mesa Site has not been glaciated in over 2 million years. The Mesa Site was an ancient hunting and look out location. The projectile points found there date back about 12,000 years. The distinctiveness of the points suggests multicultural occupation over a 2,000 year period. The question is who was at the Mesa Site during the previous glacial Period?

In the far east Russian Arctic, above the Arctic Circle, is Lake El'gygytgyn. The lake was formed about 3.58 million years ago by  meteor impact. It has not been glaciated but does freeze over. Tools and points have been found by the lake.

The Arctic had room for animals and humans. The humans were not 'javelin' chuckers. Wood products for weapons is a mystery. For fires, they burned bones and their descendants taught the Arctic explorers of the early 20th century to burn bones. 

The travelers during the previous glacial periods  make for a good debate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear-thrower

39 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

.........Over the past 500,000 years, there have been 5 glacial periods. Beringia rises and lowers, dries out and floods with each glacial stage...........

That's what they say. Sea level would have to evaporate down a minimum of 100 feet (and more like double that) for a biologic entity to walk from Siberia to Alaska on muddy ground. Then, once across, they'll have to find a way through glaciers that are supposedly miles deep (an understatement) in order to make their way down to the equator.

The math doesn't work, especially with any kind of imaginable map of unglaciated areas in this Fantasyland. It's easier to believe that an old magic man built an ark and carried them across the ocean. 

^^^^^ I am well aware of the Atlatl. Funny thing about it is that Paleoindians all over the world had the dart thrower. Not requiring substantial adult strength, it was a 'family' hunting and fishing tool. The difficulty for Paleoindians above the Arctic Circle would have been finding wood stock suitable for attaching points and flying straight. The safest strategy would have been to be a carrion eater. The big cats were wicked.

Aztecs used the Atlatl for war and fishing. Cortez's men learned the easy way that the darts could penetrate soft armor.

There is a demo in the movie 'Quigley Down Under' where the Aborigines' teach the use of the dart thrower.

42 minutes ago, Catmandoo said:

^^^^^ I am well aware of the Atlatl. Funny thing about it is that Paleoindians all over the world had the dart thrower. Not requiring substantial adult strength, it was a 'family' hunting and fishing tool. The difficulty for Paleoindians above the Arctic Circle would have been finding wood stock suitable for attaching points and flying straight. The safest strategy would have been to be a carrion eater. The big cats were wicked.

Aztecs used the Atlatl for war and fishing. Cortez's men learned the easy way that the darts could penetrate soft armor.

There is a demo in the movie 'Quigley Down Under' where the Aborigines' teach the use of the dart thrower.

I don’t think Paleo Indians would have any more difficulty than Eskimos did a 120 years ago. In fact they claim the atlatl was brought over the land bridge. Making the travelers indeed “javelin chuckers”. It’s far safer to engage prey from afar than using the extinct Neanderthal method of stabbing dinner to death with a two handed spear. Which probably allowed our species to propagate as it did.

https://www.rafaelosonaauction.com/antiques/2017/americana-fine-art-marine-2017/eskimo-walrus-ivory-wood-fishing-spear/

https://www.ashokaarts.com/antique-spears-and-polearms/spears-polearms/inuit-stone-tipped-spear-from-alaska-bering-sea/

https://basketmakeratlatl.com/?page_id=1436

7 hours ago, Huntster said:

That's what they say. Sea level would have to evaporate down a minimum of 100 feet (and more like double that) for a biologic entity to walk from Siberia to Alaska on muddy ground. Then, once across, they'll have to find a way through glaciers that are supposedly miles deep (an understatement) in order to make their way down to the equator.

The math doesn't work, especially with any kind of imaginable map of unglaciated areas in this Fantasyland. It's easier to believe that an old magic man built an ark and carried them across the ocean. 

My comment about Beringia raising and lowering is related to movement of the North American Plate and Glacial Isostatic Adjustment  processes. The Earth's crust floats on top of a viscoelastic layer, the lithosphere. There is no positive anchor of the crust to the lithosphere. Surface loading by ice and water via glaciation and deglaciation telegraphs to the lithosphere. Glaciation pushes material towards the plate boundaries and creates forebulges. Deglaciation moves material back towards the previous high load area and the forebulge collapses. With glaciation, forebulges raise up, relative sea level goes down. With deglaciation, forebulges lower and relative sea level is higher. Beringia surface goes up and down.

For my theoretical discussion, I use Lac de Gras, Northwest Territories, Canada, as the location for the thickest glacier during the Last Glacial Maximum. I designate Lac de Gras as the location with the most vertical crustal movement. It is monitored with GPS equipment, gravity sensors. Movement of the lithosphere material back to Lac de Gras slowly increases gravity by small levels. Similarly, Forebulges lose gravity. With changes in the crust, one has to correct the altitude of geo-synchronous satellites

I will make several posts to separate images.

The first image shows Earth crustal altitude changes. The guesstimate for lithosphere thickness equilibrium is about 50,000 years. When that occurs or gets close, do we have Earth crustal displacement?

PGR_Paulson2007_Rate_of_Lithospheric_Uplift_due_to_PGR.png

The North American Plate and Ice sheet of the Last Glacial Maximum. I did the outlines by hand and I either needed more coffee or less coffee. Red continuous line is the North American Plate and the white line is the estimated extent of the ice sheet. 

Lac de Gras, NWT, Canada is shown. Lac de Gras is a Kimberlite pipe region with about 150 'pipes' the last time that I checked. Kimberlite pipes go down about 3 times deeper than a volcano. For my theoretical idea, I assume that substantial vertical crust displacement occurred with glacial loading and that crust rebound measurements verify the displacement. With maximum ice thickness close to Alaska, the GLOF, Glacial Lake Outburst Floods rinsed the Pleistocene flora and fauna from the landscape into the oceans and created faunal flood deposits in the Fairbanks area. GLOF are very good for creating a jumbled up mass of different animal bones. Loess is scattered also. The creation of the faunal bone depositories has been a mystery and many believed Tsunami action was the cause. Tsunami would approach from the wrong / opposite direction. The destruction from GLOF action is beyond belief. In modern times, the GLOF at Hubbard Glacier was monitored. Hubbard Glacier GLOF was miniscule. Juneau Alaska had damage from a GLOF recently.

Over time, Beringia altitude changes. With glaciation, animals travel back and forth. With deglaciation, travel is limited / cut off.

North American plate  Lac de Gras.jpg

Distribution_of_loess_in_North_America.gif

Edited by Catmandoo
  • Like 1

The North American Plate including the Russian Far East. The Lake El'gygytgyn location is shown. 3.58 million year old, never been glaciated lake. The Russian Far East also had GLOF activity. Lots of history washed out to sea. The Russian Far East has Kimberlite pipe structure and that means diamond mines. The water table interferes with the deep open pit mining activity and the mines have a short life.

I do not have any info on surface altitude changes  related to GIA for this area.

North American plate  Lac de Gras  Lake El'gygytgyn.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, in my example, I pointed out that a Beringia land bridge might be exposed if the world's oceans, globally (71% of Earth's surface, or 139,000,000 square miles), fell just 100' to 200'. I thought I'd be generous about not having to explain all that ice on the continents.

But, lo and behold, the generally cited depth of sea level fall during the last glacial maximum by scientists is 425', over four times my example. 

Bear in mind that it's atmospherically impossible for precipitation at 60,000 feet, so glaciers cannot possibly be thicker than 11 miles thick (unless, if course, another theory can be wuthdrawn from Felix's Bag of Tricks).

Moreover, current *beliefs* (a word intentionally chosen here) are that the glacial maximum ice sheets were limited to the 42 degree latitudes, thereby further limiting where all this ice was to pile up.

Granted, if your GIA Theory is to smash the land itself with all that ice (possible, I suppose, since the weight of all that ice is virtually incalculable), that does rid the area of mountains to take up all that room necessary for ice, but those pesky mountains sure popped up fast, didn't they?

49 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Well, in my example, I pointed out that a Beringia land bridge might be exposed if the world's oceans, globally (71% of Earth's surface, or 139,000,000 square miles), fell just 100' to 200'. I thought I'd be generous about not having to explain all that ice on the continents.

But, lo and behold, the generally cited depth of sea level fall during the last glacial maximum by scientists is 425', over four times my example. 

Go for the ice calculations. I have a worksheet with basic values of global ice volume, ocean volume, volume of ice to volume of water. One of these days I will crunch numbers to see how many inches that the sea level will rise if the ice melts. If the fear factor squad wants to worry about sea level change, I have a suggestion. Pump salt water into the Sahara Desert / northern Africa and create a salt brine shrimp fishery. Novel fish farming, food, employment. The Great Salt Lake has / had a brine shrimp fishery but I don't know the current status.

Sea level is a relative value. When the lithosphere is pushed towards the forebulges, land rises. Years ago, IIRC the NOAA ship Davidson did coring work in the Bering straight. They pulled up grasses, sedges, pollen, insect exoskeletons which are normal land types. They needed to go deeper. The value of 425' sea level change is suspect. Did they calculate forebulge movement?

I am not following your 60,000' comment. Was that a typo? 11,000' perhaps.

It does not snow in the interior of Antarctica. That is a good example of terrain-altitude weather activity. If snow does not occur in the interior of Antarctica, where did all that ice come from?

The ice sheets did not 'crush' the mountains. The crust flexes under weight and moves viscoelastic lithosphere material away from the load point. With the load gone, lithosphere material seeks equilibrium and the mountain altitude changes. Mountains were formed from lithosphere pressure to the crust. A good exercise would be to examine altitude changes of Mt. Everest, Denali and Mt. Rainier. There are sea shells at the top of Everest.

The debate about land travelers across Beringia ( both ways ) rages on and we have not got to the 'travel by boat' debates.

Edited by Catmandoo
text
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

.........The value of 425' sea level change is suspect. Did they calculate forebulge movement?..........

It's beyond suspect. It's insane. 100' is way more than I can accept. The main thing they accounted for was the willingness of people to accept their silliness.

https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/coastline-eastern-us-changesslowly#:~:text=During the last ice age glaciers covered almost one-third,higher than they are now.

...................I am not following your 60,000' comment. Was that a typo? 11,000' perhaps.........

Cumulonimbus clouds can reach altitudes of 60,000 ft. so that would be the theoretical highest altitude for rain falling.

.........It does not snow in the interior of Antarctica. That is a good example of terrain-altitude weather activity. If snow does not occur in the interior of Antarctica, where did all that ice come from?........

'Snow' (precipitation) is uncommon in extremely cold temps well below zero, but ice fogs (common in such temps) can deposit 'frozen dew' which will accumulate in an environment that remains below freezing year round. 

..........The debate about land travelers across Beringia ( both ways ) rages on and we have not got to the 'travel by boat' debates..........

Occams Razor. One does not need to build glaciers miles high (and still leave a nice, grassy path through it for a few thousand miles) in order to get animals onto the New World. They can float across on vegetation rafts and flotsam. They can walk across Berinia on the ice pack. They can swim across Beringia. Birds fly across. They can fly across carrying still alive fish and rodents then deposited in the New World to repopulate the continent. Humans can build boats to cross on. Lowering the planets oceans hundreds of feet makes the current climate change hysteria look wise.