Pheromone chips

Amonchris

I've seen videos in the past of people hanging pheromone chips (I'm pretty sure chimpanzee) as a means to attract Sasquatch. 

My question is. If the chips don't have an effect on the person hanging them, why would they have an effect on Sasquatch? 

For whatever reason we can say they don't seem to be having an effect since they are not attracting them.  If they are, they are not doing so in a way that results in people getting them on camera or having a reported sighting using them as bait.  

I like the idea of some scent as bait.   Certain animals go into heat.  That is a strategy that could be assumed to work for some animals.   We all know in people (and some animals) the smell of food or cooking seems to work.  We all have heard in science class how wolves came closer smell of food cooking on the fire and became domesticated dogs for the cavemen.   

Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Backyard Barbecue — and How to Avoid Them ...

What attracts a bigfoot?     I don't know if apes are attracted to 'smells' be it pheromones or McDonalds in the garbage bin.     We could assume Bigfoot might be more likely to be attracted to what we might be or at least what attracts a Gorilla, but we can't really know.  Just guess.   

All things need to eat sleep mate and so on.   Using a smell in a smart way - assuming we know the smell- seems like a reasonable idea.   The trick will be to 1) get the right smell  2) have it close enough to enough subjects to lure at least one in.  3) have a camera ready and able when the animal arrives.   

I remember a Bigfoot show on TV where the person played a set of drums in the woods hoping to make bigfoot 'curious'    Not the worst idea.

B.S CRYPTID PODCAST

My take would be food attracts people and other animals.   Even if I eat, I still notice my stomach rumbles when the neighbor is cooking on the grill or popping popcorn.   

At the end of the day Dr. Hannible Lecter sums it up well in Silence of the Lambs:   

• Hannibal Lecter:
  • "First principles, Clarice. Simplicity. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?

In this way, if we could know what Bigfoot likes and provide it to him/her we might have a chance.  Clearly what we are doing isn't working or is not working well enough to accomplish a home run encounter.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/2/2024 at 7:48 PM, Amonchris said:

I've seen videos in the past of people hanging pheromone chips (I'm pretty sure chimpanzee) as a means to attract Sasquatch. 

My question is. If the chips don't have an effect on the person hanging them, why would they have an effect on Sasquatch? 

What effect are you hoping they have?

I'm pretty sure the purpose is merely to peak the curiosity of any bigfoot in the area, by having them smell another primate in the vicinity, in the hope they may come into the area to check it out.

I think they would work on any animal. The same reason women stay out of dangerous bear areas during their menstrual cycle.

• Upvote 1

That's not pheromones so much as it is the smell of human blood and potentially blood-soaked hygiene products being packed out or otherwise disposed of.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:38 AM, Grubfingers said:

I think they would work on any animal. The same reason women stay out of dangerous bear areas during their menstrual cycle.

There is no such thing as 'Sasquatch pheromone chips'. The imposter chips are an item for olfactory signaling to animals dumber than a Sasquatch. Signaling only down wind can be limiting. Attempting to fool a Sasquatch is a bad idea. Gift them real food.

IIRC, pheromone chips have been available for years. The only published report that I can remember was a pile of bear poop from a disappointed bear, underneath a hanging chip. Poor bear just wanted to monkey around.

Estrogen is the item that most animals recognize 24/7, 365. Doesn't matter about riding the moon. Female Alaskan Brown Bears have a 'jealous female charge'. Some Alaskan tourist lodges inform the guests about the female bear behavior. Hiking with a 12 gauge and slugs is normal. I am not sure about black bears in the lower 48.

On 4/7/2024 at 9:38 AM, Grubfingers said:

Isn't most of this a double-edged sword?  Some smells or methods attract, and others repel.    

Here is a product of designed to repel deer.   

Havahart Deer Off Waterproof Deer Repellent Stations - 6 Pk

Another product here is thought to ATTRACT mosquitoes which then allow them to be killed.   

Image result for mosquitos traps

If we knew so much about what might attract Bigfoot, we would have attracted Bigfoot by now effectively.   Maybe the methods or smells are great but there are not enough (or zero) Bigfeet in the area to be attracted.  It's the tree falling in the forest, but no one is around to hear it.  

Japanese beetle bags work by having the right chemical attractant which draws the Japanese beetles in.   If we knew what that attractant might be-if any- for Bigfoot that seems like the best Home Run method to drraw one in.

black-spectracide-insect-traps-hg-16905-9-64_145.jpg

Bigfoot is thought to be more of an ape or humanoid thing.    Whatever is more likely common in that group is probably a trait Bigfoot might be assumed to also possess.    Bugs and other things are more primitive in their stimulus and blindly responsive.  Some higher animals might be expected to need a more sophisticated attractant if there is even one at all.  

Snipes (and Bigfoot is like a mythical 'snipe') loves chocolate in the movie UP.   What is bigfoot's lure?

image.jpeg.f0cec61253739d9d607306ad7eacd625.jpeg

On 4/2/2024 at 11:48 AM, Amonchris said:

Human pheromones is a thing. Pheromones have real consequences to our bodies.

But how the pheromones of one species interacts with the nose of another species, especially a cryptid one? Would require further study.

With that said? Is hanging chimp pheromones in a tree any more crazy that whooping or banging on a tree?🤷‍♂️

https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/47456449/Feromoni_umani_e_attrazione_sessuale20160723-18812-1c6ahl-libre.pdf?1469289232=&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3DFeromoni_umani_e_attrazione_sessuale.pdf&Expires=1712794035&Signature=DfuAdg~LeT~Up8~uZ83gSdFoYKCkAHmEUyO3sWWG-eXj~vLgEXTfpzKcJ-aClx0gUf4raNWlBZ-Q9uZPa~G3QiP3O3CG7VKYkVRA4cjCn3~9OmdZPkLPO4HFgdmh4tBuUIpCV4eggEIPA7wfoQjDJnId7c8RWn-DlzuOaKQrsbBRa7ZiuDB4TF2JwbUVJh3MWkol5xC9Pu9M~bg7bmbdCh-YiHJbJcaIjWU-BXE7oh8EIfC79Sa6vlkOF0fcPx91ta69NqZ~1s46l8E6PuJYq1PLje0zB3gnkEo2LatwITuCuTrYFiDlwAh5NUQ5C-UUxx4Ce6SKKdCt2jQ6egkZCg__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA

3 hours ago, norseman said:

With that said? Is hanging chimp pheromones in a tree any more crazy that whooping or banging on a tree?🤷‍♂️

No.

I would say it’s a much more sensible approach.  

I think most times when it's been reported by campers having an encounter it's not because Bigfoot is curious it's because the cooking on a campfire .

Food smells  is a big motivator for all animals even people .

So bring plenty of ribeye steaks with you when camping  :biggrin:

Bug-a-bags for catching Japanese Beetles (Junebugs) work amazingly well, and you dump out the bugs once a day into your chicken coop for a treat for the girls, and see a hundred beetles fall into the coop. It does make sense that smells can attract an animal, even a smart one, in the woods for quite a distance. This has been field tested many times, and some studies have looked into primate preferences. Offer a chimp a bowl of raw meat and a bowl of cooked meat, they often take the cooked meat first. 

doi:10.1016/j.jhevol.2008.03.003 (duke.edu)

Think how much better it smells when a neighbor cooks burgers on the grill, than when you do yourself. And you can smell them from a block away. Cooking your own burgers while camping, that scent is travelling for miles, potentially, at levels that a dog can pick up. While we know nothing about the brain of this animal, how large their olfactory centers are, or how sensitive their noses are, you can smell food at a significantly further distance than you can smell uncooked food or blood I'll bet. And I'll bet, being a primate of some sort, they are attracted to the smell of cooking meat. On top of that, those scents burn pathways in our brains, allowing us to recall memories we thought we forgotten. 

Study suggests that exposure to different smells could help improve memory : NPR

As to what would work? Who knows. Nothing works consistently, I guess, or we would see one at every picnic. A Gift of a cooked burger placed downwind outside of camp seems like a great place to start but a great place to attract the attention of bears, racoons, and about a hundred other species which may land you in real danger.

Also, I saw a documentary about the subject of human pheromones once, and it didn't work out for the protagonist... "Perfume" it was called. That guy knew scents.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, this is now a moot point.  The company that made these chips no longer produces them.  

Let's pretend we have a magic scent for attracting Bigfoot.  Pick any scent you wish:   Food, cooked food, animal hormones, and so on.   Further, assume the scent has a bit of a carrying effect. That is, if the scent is attracting effectively, we might assume each hanging sample may draw Bigfoot from several feet away to 100 yards of more away.   It probably isn't reasonable to assume miles away but I'm open to the fact it could be miles.

Just like trial cams the distribution has to be dense enough to catch bigfoot in its orbit.  Trail cams might be limited by the line of sight which might be a short distance only.  A scent can travel far so long as it is fresh.  That's a clear advantage over trail cams.  Yet don't you then need a trail cam for every scent in order to catch bigfoot in the first place?

image.jpeg.e2187b13c85274c311b426ba91abdae8.jpeg

I would say one might need a massive amount of hanging Bigfoot Candy in trees to 'catch' a traveling bigfoot.   Those numbers are probably going to need to be high and spread out over a very big area.   If you had 100 of these and spread them over Roger and Bob's Bluff Creek/ National Forrest are 100 really going to cover more than a couple miles at best?

I love the idea, but the numbers need to be massive even in a bigfoot 'hot spot' assuming one even knows such a hot spot is a hot spot.    

1)  We don't know the magic scent

2)  If we did the scent, it may have a short shelf life like milk going bad after a bit.

3)  We probably need a lot of these and the manpower to distribute them

4)  Need to go to a target rich environment where Bigfoot is thought to be/recent tracs.   

Edited by Backdoc
  • Upvote 1