I HAVE A PLAN PICKING AT THE BACK OF MY BRAIN...RE: SMALL GROUP (4 Total) MONTH LONG IN SITU STUDY

Frisco85132

Am I Nuts?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, unlikely knot said:

Just put a round into a nearby tree or berm, it would accomplish the same thing. It's also much simpler logistically and avoids all that prison time afterward. Have you ever taken incoming?

Shooting live rounds at someone is going to avoid you prison time? 🤔

Yes. Several times. One of my earliest memories was huddling with my mom behind a stump. I’ve never been in the military. No.

11 hours ago, Kiwakwe said:

This is the way to approach the problem, given the time, which I may be able to make, I'd do it. Put oneself in their space, be interesting, make forays out etc.

Do you remember the gorilla scene at the end of the movie 'Trading Places'? You could do a movie and call your adventure: "Finding a Foot of Big"!

Being in a costume these days is a way to get shot and probably not a flesh wound.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Huntster said:

Timothy Treadwell was just such a case. Even in death, he almost created the ultimate nightmare for Superintendant Williams, had not the media and fellow guilty parties helped cover up their lethal acquiescence. 

Mr. Treadwell violated national park policies on camping limits and bear interactions to the utmost degrees for 13 years, and even recorded his insane violations and posted them online for all to see. Simultaneously, just on the other side of the mountains at Brooks Camp, visitors were required to attend "bear school" upon arrival in order to stay at their artificial Jellystone Park circus. The air taxi operator who annually flew Treadwell to Kaflia Bay annually should have been legally and/or civilly prosecuted out of business, and had I been related to Treadwell, I would have seen it accomplished. I might not have gotten Williams hung from a legal lamppost, but they would have had to sacrifice Andrew Airways.

The Treadwell incident had 2 victims. Treadwell's guest and the bear. IIRC, the guest tried hitting the bear with a frying pan or some other kitchen item. If you mentioned his name to Alaskans, they would laugh. The Katmai Brown Bear gene pool has smart bears. They like their moose and salmon. The bear that killed the Treadwell party had a DNA test that revealed that it was not of the Katmai gene pool and was labeled an 'outside bear'.

The moral of the story is you need more than a frying pan............be safe out there.

15 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

The Treadwell incident had 2 victims. Treadwell's guest and the bear...........

Timothy Treadwell was also a victim. He had fallen prey to environmental propaganda and his own ridiculous fantasies. He was clearly mentally ill. Yet Superintendent Williams was actually quoted in the Anchorage Daily News as actually supporting "his message" that he brought to elementary and secondary schools along with videos of his deadly antics with the bears.

She belongs in prison, or fired upon initial investigation, but she actually ended up promoted to a senior position in the Dept. of the Interior............remarkabky similar to the Lyle Laverty story in upward mobility, except no sasquatches have killed anybody as a result of Laverty's failures. He just never pushed his knowledge of sasquatchery within the agency............that we know of.........

https://ballotpedia.org/Deborah_L._Williams

• Upvote 2

I remember seeing the Grizzly Man film, it was pretty good.  And yep, it’s one thing to be a misguided fool and another to support their actions so they can continue until their inevitable end.

This is my backyard also. I can help in finding a location also if you would like. I am also in the no kill camp, but there’s no replacement for shot placement. 

On 5/1/2024 at 11:15 PM, Catmandoo said:

Do you remember the gorilla scene at the end of the movie 'Trading Places'? You could do a movie and call your adventure: "Finding a Foot of Big"!

Being in a costume these days is a way to get shot and probably not a flesh wound.

I wasn't addressing any costumery but the plan, man. And I'm sure I saw it but don't recall it, while being a wee bit confused as to how a Trading Places analogy is related to my comment. But it's late...

Much to be said for the proposed approach, set up camp in decent habitat and stay a while. Interlopers might even be seen as more interesting if it were not in a traveled, vehicle accessible area. Not easy with a bigger team and equipment/support but a good bushwhack into a wilderness area where people may not have been seen in a looong time might be irresistible to the residents.

14 minutes ago, Kiwakwe said:

Not easy with a bigger team and equipment/support

True, sometimes large groups  develop conflicts........'too many cooks in the kitchen'. Initial scouting 14 day trips would be pleasant even if our cousins did not show up.

Norseman is the finder of YouTube videos. The $2k costume in the video or the Chewbacca suit, like all full costumes would be very hot to wear. The synthetic materials would off-gas 'plastic / rubber smells' and the smells may be a huge problem. Be normal and smell like a human.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

'too many cooks in the kitchen'

IMO, a successful group would be an anarcho-democratic confederacy, all agents capable and willing to operate solo, have a shared view on the approach and enough experience to recognize the best option in any circumstance, even if it isn't one's own. Doesn't sound difficult to pull together but I'm sure it is.

I believe that access to a site on private land with a history of activity like the Olympic Project site or a location featuring an immediately recent sighting or sighting cluster would be a great way to concentrate effort on an area with a high possibility of a creature still in the vicinity. Unfortunately, research organizations that get fresh reports don’t seem to want to share such information promptly. 

Group size is a question. Two or three? 

The people in Oklahoma chasing wood apes have not produced. They used a lot of man-hours / years. I believe that they operate on private land. They did make a novel tracking device. The wood apes know them by sight and smell.

I don't follow the Olympic Project but what happens when Wally dies / cuts off the money? The Olympic Peninsula is a huge area. So much land and so few people to get into brutal terrain.

We are fiercely independent and hesitate to broadcast any locations.

There is a quote in Sasquatch Odyssey that comes to mind. Its something along the lines of "people who believe in Sasquatch are already contrarian to societal beliefs and that can make them prone to being extremely stubborn, which makes playing nicely in a group difficult."

I like this idea, and wish I could do it. One day when the kids are grown and I've retired... 

Setting up a few campsites, spread out around a central operating base would be my preference. I like you guys, but the ability to get away from other people at the end of the day, especially people I don't know all that well, would be nice. You can also get more coverage that way. This also gives you the chance to try out more things in separate environments. No tech vs. higher tech, bait vs. no bait, etc. 

• Upvote 1