Biopsy dart - Polar Bears

norseman

https://pubs.usgs.gov/publication/70044677

I found this article and its numbers fascinating!

99% successful in collecting a DNA sample with a 80% success rate over all. (Misses, lost darts, etc) Basically if you can connect? You’re almost assured a good tissue sample.

Unfortunately I don’t know which company they used.

But I have seen them use pneumatic guns and also a crossbow.

If you’re not willing to harvest a type specimen? This holds promise. It’s better than a plaster cast or an audio file by far. It’s a real shot at discovery.

I still suggest carrying a gun regardless. I doubt Bigfoot would be any more or less testy than a Polar Bear which is a pure predator. Foliage and terrain will be more of a challenge for us. A tree stand perhaps? A blind? A tent with human chatter coming out of it? Sky is the limit. Use your imagination.

• Upvote 1

We are not trying to drive a bolt through the animal. So a cheap recurve crossbow would work. 200 bucks….

Anybody read the entire article?  So how did they recover the dart?

13 minutes ago, hvhart said:

Anybody read the entire article?  So how did they recover the dart?

It drops off. You wait a bit and then track the animal and retrieve it.

A crossbow bolt is more substantial than a pneumatic dart. I bet it would be close to the point of impact. Unless Sasquatch gets mad and pulls it out and throws it off a cliff!🤣

Pretty easy to fly around in a helicopter and find a polar bear, and safe to shoot one from the helicopter. Indeed, you don’t even need to go to that expensive extent. Despite the global warming BS, polar bears are pests in the Arctic. I can get you a good paying job as a bear guard keeping them off of various work parties; surveyors, drillers, etc. Just hang around any of several hundred villages or work sites and one will amble along. No trees anywhere to obscure your vision or block your shot. 

If a crossbow or dart will work, that 338 WinMag will work even better. Even if the sasquatch runs away after shooting him with a heavy rifle, you’ll find dna (blood). The problem is getting the shot, not what you’re shooting.

norseman I would just be happy if I could just see one just once . :biggrin:

but I like the dart idea for the members who claim they see them 

54 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Pretty easy to fly around in a helicopter and find a polar bear, and safe to shoot one from the helicopter. Indeed, you don’t even need to go to that expensive extent. Despite the global warming BS, polar bears are pests in the Arctic. I can get you a good paying job as a bear guard keeping them off of various work parties; surveyors, drillers, etc. Just hang around any of several hundred villages or work sites and one will amble along. No trees anywhere to obscure your vision or block your shot. 

If a crossbow or dart will work, that 338 WinMag will work even better. Even if the sasquatch runs away after shooting him with a heavy rifle, you’ll find dna (blood). The problem is getting the shot, not what you’re shooting.

yup have to see one first ...that's the hard part

8 hours ago, Huntster said:

I agree with the .338 idea. But many researchers are hung up on the dead Sasquatch part. I offer this as a stop gap solution.

How many Bigfoot sightings are there each year? And how many of those are researchers? Dozens? All lost opportunities. They won’t shoot it with a gun…..they would rather pour dental resin on a track. Well? This biopsy dart idea could potentially prove its existence. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 7.62 said:

norseman I would just be happy if I could just see one just once . :biggrin:

but I like the dart idea for the members who claim they see them 

yup have to see one first ...that's the hard part

Me too. And I have only ever seen one set of tracks.

Most researchers are not willing to kill one. It’s just a fact. I have talked til I am blue in the face. So? Option B.

• Upvote 1