Field research using dog whistles and other sounds outside of human audible range

NorCalWitness

The latest installment of Small Town Monsters had a quick mention of a guy using a dog whistle while out in the field. The frequency of most dog whistles is within the range of 23 to 54 kHz, so they are above the range of human hearing. I did a quick lazy man search online to see if there is any focused research using this technique and didn't see anything about it. Any insights? Its an interesting concept and makes me wonder about making sounds both above and below our hearing range as a way to get interaction. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

The latest installment of Small Town Monsters had a quick mention of a guy using a dog whistle while out in the field. The frequency of most dog whistles is within the range of 23 to 54 kHz, so they are above the range of human hearing. I did a quick lazy man search online to see if there is any focused research using this technique and didn't see anything about it. Any insights? Its an interesting concept and makes me wonder about making sounds both above and below our hearing range as a way to get interaction. 

What can it hurt?🤷‍♂️

Some dog whistles are adjustable. How would you know what frequency would be broadcast if you can't hear it?

For some insights, visit the Saturday Night Live vault and find skits by Steve Martin. He did a session with a dog whistle and played a tune for all of the dogs in the TV viewing/listening audience.

If you used a dog whistle, you would give away your location for a great distance. Predators try not to give up their location.

On 5/30/2024 at 2:21 PM, NorCalWitness said:

Its an interesting concept and makes me wonder about making sounds both above and below our hearing range as a way to get interaction. 

Dog whistles are wind instruments that don't have feedback to the operator. Sasquatch see us, hear us and smell us. They know when we are in their areas. For sound transmission, we have 2 options: obnoxious noise and pleasant ( to us ). How about pleasant sounds in the sonic range with a 5 string banjo? Does music sooth the savage beast? 

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 5:21 PM, NorCalWitness said:

That was probably either Elijah Henderson or Martin Groves.  They have both had some interesting results using those dog whistles, along with Aztec Death Whistles.

Below our range of hearing gets more difficult.  Real infrasound (below 20Hz) is difficult to artificially produce with a decent sound pressure level.  You can do it, but it’s not a very mobile setup.

Edited by BlackRockBigfoot

Yeah, I'd think infrasound would be more effective than pitche's in the dog whistle range. The most difficult  challenge in doing so that I see is getting speakers capable of reproducing those giant soundwaves(low bass notes that we can hear can be 32' or more per cycle) a relatively simple/less expensive monophonic digital synthesizer could probably produce the tones, though you'd need a device to detect the tone since you would be unable to hear it directly, or even know if the set up is working. And it might take a considerably powerful amplifier to effectively power that speaker, but once you got it going, those sound waves are gonna go some serious sound distance!