Clovis first is disintegrating

norseman

The Yukon territories have an amazing history. I am not going to post links because there are many to check. Fascinating reads about 'Old Crow Flats', 'Old Crow Basin' and 'Bluefish Cave'.

Our 'go-to-animal' for paleo-hunters was there. Mammoth bones have been dated  25K to 40K years before present. If I have not mixed up the locations, Bluefish Cave had Mammoth bones dated 28k---16k years BP. The bones showed human tool production and butchery. The dating procedures always come under fire when 'Pre-Clovis' ideas are presented. The area above the Arctic Circle was well populated with animals, fish, birds and the humans who hid from the short faced bear. The short faced bear was 1.5 times bigger than the Kodiak Brown Bear. The Arctic was wild.

Unfortunately, the weather creates a very short season for explorations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catmandoo said:

The Yukon territories have an amazing history...........

I've been paying attention to this slope in particular. There are a couple of "knobs", or buttes like this that I've hunted over the years that are archeological sites yet to be "discovered".

East of my favorite caribou hunting grounds lie the Tangle Lakes Archeological District. The feds have established access restrictions and explicit bans on removing artifacts which are everywhere to be found without the need for a shovel. Before this 'district' was established, plenty of folks combed the area and took artifacts home with them. 

The three areas I like to hunt are less accessible, so exponentially fewer people visit the areas. One of these has been surveyed by archeologists and documented, but since few visit the ridge, no effort to restrict access has been attenpted yet.

All these sites feature primarily spear tips and shafts, and they are all higher elevations with outstanding views of migrating caribou routes.

• Like 2