On Seeing Cryptid Animals: Evaluating Credibility of Claims

MikeZimmer

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. 

8 hours ago, MikeZimmer said:

So sue me if you don't like it. ;-)

Full legal name and address please............just kidding.

Nice outline.

Your post should remain as a stand alone and not tagged onto other work.

I think there is a subjective component such an approach will miss.     The evaluation of evidence is .. relative to personal experience.    A field observation either is, or is not, like what the person doing the evaluation believes is correct or incorrect based on possibly flawed assumption.    I think the approach is interesting but it has built-in shortcomings I see no way to address with accuracy.

Suppose, for example, Patterson-Gimlin, Sasfooty, and I are walking through the forest and find a track.   Imagine the various evaluations of that track and the perspectives we each hold leading to that evaluation.  

Figure out what ChatGPT is going to do to somehow find a more correct answer than our individual, and each in our own context, expert, evaluations.

• Upvote 3

On 6/26/2024 at 4:16 PM, MIB said:

I think there is a subjective component such an approach will miss.     The evaluation of evidence is .. relative to personal experience.    A field observation either is, or is not, like what the person doing the evaluation believes is correct or incorrect based on possibly flawed assumption.    I think the approach is interesting but it has built-in shortcomings I see no way to address with accuracy.

Suppose, for example, Patterson-Gimlin, Sasfooty, and I are walking through the forest and find a track.   Imagine the various evaluations of that track and the perspectives we each hold leading to that evaluation.  

Figure out what ChatGPT is going to do to somehow find a more correct answer than our individual, and each in our own context, expert, evaluations.

I may agree MIB, if I understand you. Tangential ramblings follow:

I have written extensively on understanding the world in its various aspects in another forum. I jokingly refer to myself as a guerrilla epistemologist.  I am probably not bright enough to be a real epistemologist.

We interpret evidence based on our existing beliefs and values. So, we can do OK with the concrete, but even there as soon as we get into even moderately complex issues, opinions differ. These differing views logically can not all be correct (we disagree an awful lot, maybe we are just disagreeable?). It does not follow that any opinions are correct.

I am pretty sure that these sorts of observations hold true for any sort of situation, any field. It ain't just cryptids.

However, we do well enough on discovering truth in myriad ways that allows individual and species survival.

Still, Sasquatch and cryptids in general seem to fall into a class of harder problems I guess. 

I have formed the opinion that a number of folks are not BSing me on their sightings, and much trace evidence I find compelling; casts and track-ways come to mind.. I find the Patterson-Gimlin film more than compelling. I find Bill's analysis extremely convincing. Others on this forum do not. Some are obvious trolls and should not be fed; some seem to be well-intentioned and we should engage them in dialogue.

Subjectivity? So, some evidence, some sightings, seems unambiguous to me; to others, not so much, although I do not find many alternative explanations convincing myself.

Not sure I trust ChatGPT or any other large language model AI (LLM AI), although I use ChatGPT daily as ghostwriter and research assistant. If you do not already know your topic area, you can let well-articulated nonsense from the AI get by you.

LLM AI They are subject to using curated/selected material from same body of information that the rest of must use, full of contradictory views and errors. Moreover, individuals with their own limitations and biases driven by corporate directives select the data, and shape the AI responses during the curation and training phases.

It does not matter how good the algorithm is, or how bright the person, it is still garbage In gives garbage out (GIGO). There is of necessity a lot of garbage floating information around. I am scarcely the first person to make these sorts of observations.

I try to remind myself daily that it is not a good idea to believe everything I think. It is an uphill struggle of course.

Great OP, MikeZimmer.  Your input to the AI machines, coupled with the geniuses and others who design and implement those machines are the only things that make them "think".  (That is barring of course an electrical surge or other anomaly that could make a Bot spew something completely random.  lol)  :thumbsup:   And, MIB makes an excellent point (as usual) about the subjectivity of analyzing evidence.  Some folks may not like the expression but, at the end of the day, everything is what it is.  Thank-you!

• Upvote 1

Great list and thoughts.   What about educational mindset as a factor?

I watched a presentation with Jeff Meldrum on YouTube.  

Essentially, he said the school of thought in the 1960's was man and apes development would be linear.  That is, science followed the idea mankind went from A-Z under one linear path to get from primitive man to now.  Nearly everyone adopted this until post 1960's (Lucy) discoveries re-wrote the theory.  After that, science was more open to multiple paths toward mankind.  (this is my take on what Meldrum said but it is not my area). 

Meldrum emphasized science in the 1960's era essentially required the complete rejection there could even be something like Patty.    Science view was essentially this (my paraphrasing):  "if today there was some primitive ape to appear it would have to mean it was a hoax" based on the accepted parameters of the A-Z thinking.    He mentioned this explained why those who looked at the PGF in the 1967 era  were- as a group- largely still in the A-Z camp.  This required they rejected ahead of time the even the possibility the PGF and Patty could be real.

As you outline the steps in determine credibility, we need to take into consideration pre-emptive Educational Mindset.   In the case of the 1960's, this led to a near certainty the PGF would be rejected.  

Great videos, witnesses, and so on might not be a match to the closed mind.   

• Upvote 2

I think you are correct Backdoc.

Have you ever read Thomas Kuhn on the Structure of Scientific Revolutions? https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/thomas-kuhn/ It deals with science changing  entrenched ideas, and I think he was the first to popularize the phrase "paradigm shift".

The late Dr. John Bindernagel also provided great insights into this, as documented in both of his books.

On 7/1/2024 at 10:12 AM, Backdoc said:

Great list and thoughts.   What about educational mindset as a factor?

I watched a presentation with Jeff Meldrum on YouTube.  

Essentially, he said the school of thought in the 1960's was man and apes development would be linear.  That is, science followed the idea mankind went from A-Z under one linear path to get from primitive man to now.  Nearly everyone adopted this until post 1960's (Lucy) discoveries re-wrote the theory.  After that, science was more open to multiple paths toward mankind.  (this is my take on what Meldrum said but it is not my area). 

Meldrum emphasized science in the 1960's era essentially required the complete rejection there could even be something like Patty.    Science view was essentially this (my paraphrasing):  "if today there was some primitive ape to appear it would have to mean it was a hoax" based on the accepted parameters of the A-Z thinking.    He mentioned this explained why those who looked at the PGF in the 1967 era  were- as a group- largely still in the A-Z camp.  This required they rejected ahead of time the even the possibility the PGF and Patty could be real.

As you outline the steps in determine credibility, we need to take into consideration pre-emptive Educational Mindset.   In the case of the 1960's, this led to a near certainty the PGF would be rejected.  

Great videos, witnesses, and so on might not be a match to the closed mind.   

• Thanks 1

^^

That sounds up my alley   I will look for it.  Thanks for the tip.

Dr. B in the documentary Bigfoot's Reflection said words to this effect:   Science isn't ignoring the bigfoot evidence they are running away or looking the other way.   

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the birthing pains of paradigm shift are amongst the main impedements keeping science from "working as it should" when new more inclusive models arise. When people have their entire careers dedicated to theories within a single paradigm they  are bound to resist radical change that renders their lives work essentially irrelevant. And the longer a model has been the working model within a field, the greater the number and the greater the percentage of those in that field who will be  locked into the old model, a situation that can result In a resistance nearly impossible to overcome(think of the guy who first came up with plate tectonics and the ridicule he faced for decades!)

The unilinear evolutionary line of mankind is an awfully optimistic perspective to take in light of just how incomplete the fossil record really is, and just how fast any given evolutionary leap might take place, and to whom of those related species present such leaps/traits might pass on to, to find the next most effective combination which allows a localized population to flourish and thereby, at least momemtarily, flood the local gene pool with this latest trait combo. Its more than likely that at least a few times, these new trait combinations were passed on to other populations/species/members of the hybrid pool, only to be out competed a few generations later, thus going extinct(with no addition to the fossil record) with their contribution to gene flow, their role as intermediary link, never "logged" much less suspected by modern sapiens looking back trying to assign linear causality to a mazework of genetic interactions.

• Thanks 1