Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

Tribute to @xspider1 for an excellent thread topic:

Anyway, this makes me think of two potential new BFF topics: 1.)  If you saw a Sasquatch(es), close to 100% positive ID, what lengths would you go to, if any, to convince others that they exist?  and, 2.) What arms are your minimum to carry under different circumstances?  In the woods and in the big bad city, I feel better carrying at least a 3-inch folding knife because, I am convinced that 'Big Foot' (and other more dangerous monsters) are absolutely real.  :thumbsup:

"Different Circumstances" must include all the various habitats and differing potential threats or hunted quarry which might cause you to consider a different weapon. It must also consider even within your dwelling or camp, since that might be invaded by any manner of dangerous entity.

I'll start the thread off with one of the most significant events of late which has both affected my own behavior and reinforced past beliefs: 

The Phil Shoemaker 9mm Peninsula brown bear shooting:

IMG_0162.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Hey Huntster, I see that you have 28,900+ Posts on here. How can a hunting 'expert' such as you find so much time to be on the internet?

Edited by Ginger Ale
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Since Huntster has been a member here for 14 years, I'm sure even you can do that math.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ginger Ale said:

Hey Huntster, I see that you have 28,900+ Posts on here. How can a hunting 'expert' such as you find so much time to be on the internet?

I'm not a hunting 'expert'. I'm just an experienced hunter, and an experienced bench and competitive shooter, and an experienced reloader. Phil Shoemaker is  a hunting 'expert'.

I found time to be on the internet over the past 40 years because I was on it before Al Gore invented it. I can also perform multiple tasks simultaneously. You can learn to do so as well. I suggest starting your education with a pack of chewing gum and a nice, long dock............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Huntster said:

Tribute to @xspider1 for an excellent thread topic:

"Different Circumstances" must include all the various habitats and differing potential threats or hunted quarry which might cause you to consider a different weapon. It must also consider even within your dwelling or camp, since that might be invaded by any manner of dangerous entity.

I'll start the thread off with one of the most significant events of late which has both affected my own behavior and reinforced past beliefs: 

The Phil Shoemaker 9mm Peninsula brown bear shooting:

IMG_0162.jpeg

I always have my recon bag with me. Housed within is a 1911 I converted to .460 Rowland and also a clamshell grip that gives you a picatinny rail. I have a stream light, light and laser combo. 

I haven’t been shooting big rifles and shotguns because of my shoulder.

But I have a guide gun and a 870 pump with extended mag I would carry as a primary in Bear country.

• Haha 1

BFF Patron

Glock 17 w/Crimson Trace griplaser, handheld nitecore EDC27 light, knife, bear spray occasionally. But most of the places I go these days the biggest concern is the people or wild hogs. The bear spray works pretty good on both!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

While down in the Lower 48 (primarily the Southwest), and for defensive purposes, I felt very confident with a 9mm or 45acp, even to defend against black bear and lion. In the city I would have the magazine loaded with 124 grain Remington Golden Sabers, but I knew that when in the outdoors outside of cities I needed +P, higher velocities and a full metal jacket or similar design for greater penetration through large predators. That's how I carried.

Then the Shoemaker 9mm shooting rocked the defensive handgun world. Phil was carrying the 9mm for the same reason why most guys want to: it's small, lightweight, unobtrusive, yet has 10 or more rounds ready to go. You feel underarmed, but feel better carrying it than not. His shooting against an 800-900 lb bear proved that +P 9mm solid rounds can be effective big bear defense.

I now feel fine with my Sig P-365 daily carry under most circumstances, even in Alaska. It is loaded with an Underwood 147 grain +P FMJ in the pipe, and ten 124 grain Golden Sabers in the magazines, one mag in the gun and another in my pocket. The fully loaded gun, in a pocket holster, weighs a total of 26 ounces. I can consistently hit a salad plate @ 25 yards with three rapidly fired rounds. I carry two more 10 round mags in a tiny camera case in my car loaded with the Underwoods in case I'm going to walk into the woods away from my car.

If I'm on a hunting/fishing/exploring trip, I'll keep the Sig on me in camp, but will carry holstered Glock 20 10mm loaded with Underwood 200 grain FMJs into the field as a sidearm.

Admittedly, I would not want to shoot any bear with a 9mm, but I also don't want to carry 4 lbs of handgun and holster around with me in camp or on the side of the road, either.........or leave it behind because I'm tired of wearing it.

Of course, if hunting, I'll use a rifle suited for the game sought. In my case here in Alaska, that can range from a 243, 30-06, 300 WinMag, to a 338 WinMag, depending on the game and expected field conditions. In open country above tree line, I bring the 300 WinMag (200 grain Accubonds) If in the forest, I'll pack the 338 WinMag (225 Swift A-Frames). If not hunting but in the woods, I carry a Marlin 450 loaded with handloaded 350 grain jacketed flatnosed bullets of three possible manufactures (Hornady Interlocks, Swift A- Frames, or Hawks). The 243 is Mrs. Huntster's caribou getter, or my snowmobile rifle.

I consider my knives to be tools, not weapons.

I also had a Colt 38 Special revolver that I kept in the Lower 48 that I liked to carry with snake shot in it, but it was stolen. I'm considering acquiring another pocket revolver for that, especially since Mrs. Huntster is whining about trips south in the spring and fall, which is when I want to be here. Since it will be exclusively for viper killing duty, the smaller and lighter, the better. But, really, I should just carry the Remington 11-87 12 gauge loaded up with quail shot for both bird and viper, so I just don't need another revolver.

I'm hoping to carry the shotgun around in the Arizona desert this coming winter. It has been a few years since I've hunted birds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

I now feel fine with my Sig P-365 daily carry under most circumstances, even in Alaska. It is loaded with an Underwood 147 grain +P FMJ in the pipe, and ten 124 grain Golden Sabers in the magazines, one mag in the gun and another in my pocket.

hmm, the way you over describe your weapons and that "FMJ in the pipe" (sorry, that made me chuckle out loud), it sounds like you look for, intend to create  or expect trouble.

All I need is my Ruger 77mm Mag and the American Yeti is down! I'm not out to bad.ass the world or be a tough guy

Edited by Ginger Ale
  • Downvote 4

27 minutes ago, Ginger Ale said:

..........it sounds like you look for, intend to create  or expect trouble...........

I expect and look for trouble at all times. So?

.........All I need is my Ruger 77mm Mag and the American Yeti is down! I'm not out to bad.ass the world or be a tough guy

Well, goodie for you, Good Guy.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess we have another troll in our midsts.  No worries though, I think we’ll survive.  :rock:

I inherited a lot of guns.  Never hunted much, but at least I managed to get lost in the woods (kind of a bad feeling when it’s getting dark and cold).  Anywho, I have 3-lever action 30-30’s, “the rifle that tamed the west”, 2 -12 gauge shotguns, a ruger 9 mm pistol, a 22 bolt single-shot bolt-action, a single action 357 old west revolver (my gun-slinger) and my goto: S&W, 357, long barrel, double-action revolver, etc.

In deep woods, I would feel pretty good with one of the 30-30’s and the S&W .357.  However, I say that with zero dangerous big-game experience and fully admitting that I still can’t shoot that revolver straight worth a $h%t!  😆 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, norseman said:

77 mm?

IMG_1866.jpeg

If I could afford to feed the thing, I'd love to have one, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

I guess we have another troll in our midsts.  No worries though, I think we’ll survive.  :rock:............

I don't know if he's a reconstituted version of a previous pest, but I think he got a bit angry after being roundly chastised for examining a turkey hunter through his rifle scope, and he's lashing out. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cmknight said:

Since Huntster has been a member here for 14 years, I'm sure even you can do that math.

Actually, I forget when the Bigfoot Forum 1.0 opened it's doors, but I think it was back around the 1999-2000 time frame, so I've been playing here for @ 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Actually, I forget when the Bigfoot Forum 1.0 opened it's doors, but I think it was back around the 1999-2000 time frame, so I've been playing here for @ 20 years.

I checked: it was 2002, but it sure seemed earlier..........

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1