Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

10 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

.........do y'all ever have issues with those things jamming?...........

Even recently I was testing various manufactured self defense loads in a certain semi auto handgun, and the load that I liked the most (velocity with proven bullet design) jammed regularly. Not the other loads, just that one.

I sold the gun.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

^ I'm seeing a definite propensity towards semi-autos vs bolt/lever action rifles and double-action pistols.  I get that semi-auto is less recoil, faster shots per second and generally more rounds per re-load which are all significant deciding factors.  But I just have to ask; particularly in regard to semi-automatic pistols, do y'all ever have issues with those things jamming? 

I've seen that happen many times with semi-automatic pistols.  With bolt action rifles, I think the spent shell has to be pulled out?  I've never seen that happen with a lever action 30-30, or with a revolver (although the shells can stick sometimes on a revolver so they don't just fall out when re-loading).  I definitely believe that semi-autos will jam more if they are not used very often and/or if they are not properly cleaned and oiled.  I just don't know that much about that because I still have an inclination to stick with my lever action 30-30's and double action .357/38 caliber revolver.  Perhaps I should carry all of the above!?  :rofl: 

Yes. My 1911 will stove pipe. BUT. I have a Ruger Black Hawk .44 mag. But I cannot mount a light and laser on it. And in the middle of the night when things go bump outside? I only have to find my pistol. I don’t have to find a pistol AND a light. I think smith and Wesson makes a dbl action with a picatinny rail. .357 mag I think.

A Mauser style controlled feed bolt has control of the casing once it’s stripped off the mag. So if the bolt won’t go to battery you can eject the shell with a good pull on the bolt. A push feed bolt on the other hand doesn’t have full control of the shell until it goes to full battery. So if you pull the bolt before if goes to battery you will be fishing a round out of the chamber.

I have had a Winchester 92 jam on me one time. Somehow the casing stove piped after the shot. 🤷‍♂️ Never had that happen with any rifle chambered lever actions. Either Winchester or Marlin. I have also had a Browning BAR jam on me right in the middle of killing a Bull Elk in central Idaho. Because of it I only got one shot off, and didn’t find the Bull til the next morning.

There is nothing wrong with a lever gun and revolver combo. But the older technology is harder to mount the new widgets to that helps older eyes in the middle of the night. When I was a young man? I was a cowboy and always had a .44 mag on my hip. I did try a DE .50 briefly and couldn’t get rid of that boat anchor fast enough. A cowboy mainly packs a pistol in case he is getting drug. And it happens. Especially with any lace up boot. My Ray Holes saddle I had custom made had tapaderos and I never looked back. Your boot cannot slip through the stirrup. And they help keep your feet warm.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xspider1 said:

^ I'm seeing a definite propensity towards semi-autos vs bolt/lever action rifles and double-action pistols.  I get that semi-auto is less recoil, faster shots per second and generally more rounds per re-load which are all significant deciding factors.  But I just have to ask; particularly in regard to semi-automatic pistols, do y'all ever have issues with those things jamming? 

I've seen that happen many times with semi-automatic pistols.  With bolt action rifles, I think the spent shell has to be pulled out?  I've never seen that happen with a lever action 30-30, or with a revolver (although the shells can stick sometimes on a revolver so they don't just fall out when re-loading).  I definitely believe that semi-autos will jam more if they are not used very often and/or if they are not properly cleaned and oiled.  I just don't know that much about that because I still have an inclination to stick with my lever action 30-30's and double action .357/38 caliber revolver.  Perhaps I should carry all of the above!?  :rofl: 

Things I look for now in carry guns is weight , recoil , reloading and rate of accurate fire .I'm not hunting so I won't carry a big bore rifle or a heavy revolver anymore . Don't get me wrong I love wheel guns and own many but I fire semiautos faster and I am able to keep a smaller circle with a 10mm versus a .44 mag wheel gun .

Lever guns I also like but again I go back to rate of fire . I'm not hunting so I don't need a bigbore to carry . If I get a jam with semi the drill to clear is pretty fast and smooth.Also I would say 99% of problems you might encounter in a jam is ammo or mag related for a semi . Mud and dirt in a gun can mess up any type of action so agree keep your gun as clean as you can  when but it's not a big concern to me because I'm not low crawling through mud 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2024 at 11:18 PM, norseman said:

Yes. My 1911 will stove pipe. BUT. I have a Ruger Black Hawk .44 mag. But I cannot mount a light and laser on it. And in the middle of the night when things go bump outside? I only have to find my pistol. I don’t have to find a pistol AND a light. I think smith and Wesson makes a dbl action with a picatinny rail. .357 mag I think.

How do you find the ergonomics of a Black Hawk/SAA style grip if you had to draw and fire quickly? I've shot Vaqueros and own a single six and while I love the history and aesthetics of an SAA style revolver, I would never choose it as my sidearm. I just find it an unnatural shooting grip. I notice lots of guys in Alaska seem to be partial to that exact gun in 44 mag but I would personally choose a 629 (or similar) if I wanted a revolver for wilderness carry.

Man, I hope we get to buy handguns again when we skid the Liberals next year in Canada.

Edited by langfordbc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, langfordbc said:

..........Man, I hope we get to buy handguns again when we skid the Liberals next year in Canada.

Yeah, I'm hoping you guys see some meaningful reform.

I was never a SAA guy. Double action revolvers for me.

• Upvote 1

How do you find the ergonomics of a Black Hawk/SAA style grip if you had to draw and fire quickly? I've shot Vaqueros and own a single six and while I love the history and aesthetics of an SAA style revolver, I would never choose it as my sidearm. I just find it an unnatural shooting grip. I notice lots of guys in Alaska seem to be partial to that exact gun in 44 mag but I would personally choose a 629 (or similar) if I wanted a revolver for wilderness carry.

Man, I hope we get to buy handguns again when we skid the Liberals next year in Canada.

So when I was 18 years old I begged my dad to buy me a Ruger Black Hawk in .44 mag. And I packed that pistol most of my packing career. I have big hands. And with hot loads that pistol hurts. And it’s a 7.5 inch barrel.

Maybe 10 years ago? I bought a Ruger Black Hawk Bisley in .44 mag with a 3 3/4 barrel from Lipsey. And I had a chest rig built for it. That Bisley frame took care of my big hands and discomfort. And I switched the grips to a Altamont grip that was knurled. It’s super comfortable.

So if you want the most comfortable SAA out there my choice would be a Bisley.

Praying for my Canadian brothers up there!🇨🇦

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, I'm hoping you guys see some meaningful reform.

I was never a SAA guy. Double action revolvers for me.

You wouldn’t have caught me dead with one when I was young. Cowboy stuff.

But I see you can buy moon clips, they are easier to reload, and you can even get a SW with a picatinny rail. Good stuff.👍

https://nagelsguns.net/product/smith-wesson-mp-r8-performance-center-357-magnum-revolver-picatinny-rail-5-0-170292/

52 minutes ago, norseman said:

So when I was 18 years old I begged my dad to buy me a Ruger Black Hawk in .44 mag. And I packed that pistol most of my packing career. I have big hands. And with hot loads that pistol hurts. And it’s a 7.5 inch barrel.

Maybe 10 years ago? I bought a Ruger Black Hawk Bisley in .44 mag with a 3 3/4 barrel from Lipsey. And I had a chest rig built for it. That Bisley frame took care of my big hands and discomfort. And I switched the grips to a Altamont grip that was knurled. It’s super comfortable.

So if you want the most comfortable SAA out there my choice would be a Bisley.

Praying for my Canadian brothers up there!🇨🇦

Never fired a Bisley frame but always thought they looked more comfortable. I don't have big paws but even the single six, which is quite small, still feels awkward to shoot.

I have a significant amount of money wrapped up in guns that are now prohibited, especially my USGI 1911's. Ethically and logically, the gun bans are terrible, but the Liberals have also destroyed hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars of personal property.

Edited by langfordbc

24 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

Never fired a Bisley frame but always thought they looked more comfortable. I don't have big paws but even the single six, which is quite small, still feels awkward to shoot.

I have a significant amount of money wrapped up in guns that are now prohibited, especially my USGI 1911's. Ethically and logically, the gun bans are terrible, but the Liberals have also destroyed hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars of personal property.

How bad is Washington state compared to BC?

My grandfather was Canadian. When Washington gets worse, I’ve threatened just to go back up. At least the hunting and fishing is better.

Well if you come down here bud you can shoot mine and make an informed decision! More than welcome!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, norseman said:

How bad is Washington state compared to BC?

My grandfather was Canadian. When Washington gets worse, I’ve threatened just to go back up. At least the hunting and fishing is better.

Well if you come down here bud you can shoot mine and make an informed decision! More than welcome!

Appreciate the offer, sir! It's hard to compare the two as I haven't lived in Washington but I suspect it's comparable in that the urban centers dictate much of the politics and ideology that the rest of the province/state has to live under. 

I had opportunities to go south as a lineman when the mandates where on and I was out of work. We were very close to going, as at least there are places there where we could be among people who share our values. A couple of guys on our crew did, and stayed. If I had opportunities in Alaska (I even chatted with @Huntster on the phone to get an idea of the place), we probably would have gone.

Ultimately, we decided to stay. We live on property in north central BC and if things ever "go down", which is sadly becoming increasingly possible, we are far better situated to deal with it here. If anything, we'll get a bigger property (100+ acres) and go further west towards the coast (and further from people).The exceptional hunting and fishing opportunities are a major factor.

Edited by langfordbc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, langfordbc said:

.........I have a significant amount of money wrapped up in guns that are now prohibited, especially my USGI 1911's..........

So what do they expect you to do? Turn them in to be destroyed?

........We live on property in north central BC and if things ever "go down", which is sadly becoming increasingly possible, we are far better situated to deal with it here. If anything, we'll get a bigger property (100+ acres) and go further west towards the coast (and further from people).The exceptional hunting and fishing opportunities are a major factor.

It would be really tough for me to leave your area. I consider it the best geography on Earth. Too bad the politics suck. It's getting bad everywhere, but there's no hint of gun grabbing here. Their tactic here is to restrict access to the hunting resources and restrict ammo shipping in.

23 minutes ago, Huntster said:

So what do they expect you to do? Turn them in to be destroyed?

on May 1, 2020

As of May 1, 2020 an Amnesty Order has been in place to protect lawful owners of the now-prohibited firearms. The amnesty period is currently in effect and will expire on October 30, 2025. It provides owners with the time to come into compliance with the law.

The Government intends to bring forward a mandatory buyback program that offers fair compensation to affected owners and businesses.

I've been recently researching and calling Canadian authorities on the transport of firearms and a brown bear hide/skull between the borders with Alaska at Beaver Creek, YT, and the U.S. border at Haines. Admittedly, it has been like an exchange with lawyers in California. My end result has been planning to transport my long guns with me by highway after acquiring the proper permits, and to fly the bear out of Haines to Juneau, then Anchorage, never flying over or landing in Canada. But getting permission from the Chief Firearms Officers of Yukon and BC to transport a handgun is just too much to chance, and shipping it within Alaskan ports will be too expensive to be worth it due to requirements with FFL shipping and receiving and shipper requirements/willingness.

I reviewed this page:

https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/classes-firearms#prohib

From this and previous readings, it appears to me that, with the registration hoop jumping, Canadian citizens can own most handguns with a 4.5" or longer barrel, including semi-autos like a Glock 20, or large caliber revolvers.

No?