Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

As I understand it, as I no longer have the necessary permits, Canadians can only have handguns if they hold an RPAL (Restricted Possession Acquisition License). Holders of these permits must undergo a criminal records check every 24-hours, and can only transport their weapons from their home to a certified shooting range, and back. They must do this without any stops along the way. This means that even stopping for gas is not permitted while your handgun is in your vehicle. It must be transported in an approved, locked case, and ammunition must be transported separate from the weapon in a manner that prevents them from easily being put together (ammo in the glove box, handgun in the trunk). If you are stopped by the cops for any reason, the fact that you have an RPAL will come up on the police computer and you will be asked if you have it with you. If you break ANY of the regulations regarding transporting your firearm, you CAN have it confiscated. This is what I've learned from talking to RPAL owners. As I don't have this permit, I'm not entirely 110% positive on any of this, but since quite a few handgun owners have given me the same information, I can be fairly positive that these are the laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cmknight said:

..........Holders of these permits must undergo a criminal records check every 24-hours..........

This seems silly, unless it's some sort of instant computer check. Even then, if you're in the system, immediately upon arrest for any crime, you're identified as a permittee.

............can only transport their weapons from their home to a certified shooting range, and back. They must do this without any stops along the way. This means that even stopping for gas is not permitted while your handgun is in your vehicle...........

So, the possession of full-frame handguns are legal in your home, but carrying them for protection from bear or lion attack is essentially banned. Seems to me that even in Canada, a lawsuit could easily fix that.  The very reason handguns are manufactured is for self-defense.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-court-dismisses-applications-against-trudeau-s-2020-firearms-ban-1.6623323#:~:text=The Federal Court today dismissed,some 1%2C500 styles of firearms.

...........Justice Catherine Kane says in a decision released today that the applicants raised issues around the matter of guns and public safety but the court only explored the question of whether Trudeau's cabinet went beyond its powers in passing the regulations..........

Gotta' file reasonable, common-sense suits. They're conducting legal warfare against you. Conduct effective legal warfare back at 'em. The NRA and other groups have been doing just that for the past half century here in the U.S. with great success.

We need like a North American pro gun political party. And multinational agreements.

If I want to take my AR or 1911 to Canada or Alaska? It should be the same as driving to Idaho.

If they want to check me for being a criminal as I cross? So be it. They do that anyway.

11 minutes ago, norseman said:

.........If I want to take my AR or 1911 to Canada or Alaska? It should be the same as driving to Idaho..........

In many ways, as an Alaskan, I appreciate Canada's tough position in traveling through their country. I really don't want many Yankees coming here. Of course, they're free to do so.........by plane or cruise ship. Americans can bring firearms on domestic flights........per federal law and airline rules. Bringing contraband is risky. 

American shippers like UPS and FedEx are a big part of the problem in transporting guns. A police department in California shipped a stolen handgun that they recovered back to me (after lots of jumping through hoops). They sent it overnight air via FedEx to a local FFL I paid $50 to accept it. The bill from FedEx? $350. 

The combined bill for shipping and FFL acceptance was more than the value of the gun. 

The criminal who stole my stuff (most of which has not and never will be recovered) will be out of prison soon, and I'm still jumping through hoops trying to get two more recovered guns and loads of recovered ammo back from police.

Over 87% of the guns used in crimes are stolen. One would think that they'd be "proactive" in prosecuting gun thieves, but I'm here to tell you that they're more busy prosecuting the owners of stolen guns than they are the thieves.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Huntster said:

In many ways, as an Alaskan, I appreciate Canada's tough position in traveling through their country. I really don't want many Yankees coming here. Of course, they're free to do so.........by plane or cruise ship. Americans can bring firearms on domestic flights........per federal law and airline rules. Bringing contraband is risky. 

American shippers like UPS and FedEx are a big part of the problem in transporting guns. A police department in California shipped a stolen handgun that they recovered back to me (after lots of jumping through hoops). They sent it overnight air via FedEx to a local FFL I paid $50 to accept it. The bill from FedEx? $350. 

The combined bill for shipping and FFL acceptance was more than the value of the gun. 

The criminal who stole my stuff (most of which has not and never will be recovered) will be out of prison soon, and I'm still jumping through hoops trying to get two more recovered guns and loads of recovered ammo back from police.

Over 87% of the guns used in crimes are stolen. One would think that they'd be "proactive" in prosecuting gun thieves, but I'm here to tell you that they're more busy prosecuting the owners of stolen guns than they are the thieves.

Because thats how you tear down a nation. You let criminals loose….

39 minutes ago, norseman said:

Because thats how you tear down a nation. You let criminals loose….

That's how you enrich and grow the legal industry, which is their primary goal. They really don't care about the public or the criminals. They want the power and the wealth that comes with it. 

The prison that thief is currently sitting in and the courthouse that he was sentenced in can both burn down, filled with their appropriate characters, for all I care. If I had the legal power to simply collect up the criminal (yes, I knew who it was before I even called police) and "convince" him to return my goods, I could have easily done it. I need the authorities as much as I need the criminal.........maybe less.

Probably getting to political for the general forum. I forget sometimes. Sorry.👍

38 minutes ago, norseman said:

Probably getting to political for the general forum. I forget sometimes. Sorry.👍

Not even close to too political. You are WAYYYY too close to common sense though, and some people can't handle that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norseman said:

Yeah, the  mere mention of firearms on most forums is cause enough for panic and stampeding. At least here we can mention them in the context of outdoor activities. Sorry for the rant about my stolen guns and my continuing legal adventures getting them back.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, the  mere mention of firearms on most forums is cause enough for panic and stampeding. At least here we can mention them in the context of outdoor activities. Sorry for the rant about my stolen guns and my continuing legal adventures getting them back.

I for one am glad your back on the regular forum. Your knowledge and expertise is valued by me. We don’t always agree on everything and thats OK. I hope people on here understand what a privilege it is to have access to “been there, done that” forum members like you, BC Witness, Incorrigible, MIB, Airdale and countless others on here.

In light of the constant trolling and cyber attacks on accounts here? No matter how you fall on the subject of Bigfoot? The wilderness knowledge here is just amazing and people should at least honor that.

And sorry for your troubles!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, norseman said:

.........BC Witness, Incorrigible, MIB, Airdale and countless others on here.........

The Old Guys! A great group to be in!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, cmknight said:

As I understand it, as I no longer have the necessary permits, Canadians can only have handguns if they hold an RPAL (Restricted Possession Acquisition License). Holders of these permits must undergo a criminal records check every 24-hours, and can only transport their weapons from their home to a certified shooting range, and back. They must do this without any stops along the way. This means that even stopping for gas is not permitted while your handgun is in your vehicle. It must be transported in an approved, locked case, and ammunition must be transported separate from the weapon in a manner that prevents them from easily being put together (ammo in the glove box, handgun in the trunk).

Oh my gosh!  I had no idea that Canadian hand-gun laws were so strict.  In Tennessee, an adult can carry in most public places, open or concealed (as of July 1st, 2021), no permit, or training required.  That, I think, is stupid.  Proper gun training, a background check and a permit should be required to carry a loaded weapon in public.  Of course, career criminals (many of them children) are committing most of the crimes.  So, their penalty for gun law violations should be severe and there should be zero tolerance for gun thieves, world-wide.

I've never had a jam in my Glock or Keltec, including when shooting cheap box store ball ammo, or surplus bulk ammo, or at the range. 

I have jammed a round on load in my Remington 700! Took multiple minutes to unjam. Part of the problem is you get quite a bit of leverage with the bolt and slam it home when gentle pressure is all you really need. Entirely my fault.

I carry a multi piece cleaning rod, patches and oil. that started when I carried a muzzle loader the first time and filthy black powder fouled the barrel. It fired but the next round was way off. So now I swab it out before reloading. And just left the gear in my pack. Haven't even used it in the modern stuff, except at the end of the trip or if the gear gets damp.

• Thanks 1

Being a city slicker ( lots of fishing but never hunting) I know only a little about guns.  Shot many, but only at paper targets at a range.    Here is what I do know:

If Bigfoot was armed people would be dead and they wouldn’t know what hit them.  

Thankfully he’s not and is said to be peaceful.  

image.jpeg.813afc17711c20fa06d490c72473e1d6.jpeg

8 hours ago, xspider1 said:

Oh my gosh!  I had no idea that Canadian hand-gun laws were so strict.  In Tennessee, an adult can carry in most public places, open or concealed (as of July 1st, 2021), no permit, or training required.  That, I think, is stupid.  Proper gun training, a background check and a permit should be required to carry a loaded weapon in public.  Of course, career criminals (many of them children) are committing most of the crimes.  So, their penalty for gun law violations should be severe and there should be zero tolerance for gun thieves, world-wide.

Background checks already required for transactions through federally licensed dealers.

This being the public forum, I'm hesitant to comment further on BOR restrictions.