Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

3 minutes ago, langfordbc said:

........I think they could care less about actually collecting the guns - they know the owners are typically more responsible and less dangerous than your average citizen. They'd be just as happy if the guns stayed in owners hands and every once in a while catch an otherwise law abiding, tax paying, family man, and throw them in jail..........

That's their plan. It's safe, and they've gained power through the long game, anyway. They're arrogant to believe that they'll hold on to political power forever. The problem with that belief is that a properly stored gun can last a whole lot longer than their dreams.

........While a great deal of the guns banned in the last five years are registered (pistols and AR's), there are many semi-auto rifles that aren't. Judging by the the rush to buy those guns and the premiums they commanded, I suspect compliance will not be high.

Thirty or so years ago a friend told me of a guy he knew who was in the woods somewhere along the shores of Tustumena Lake on the Kenai Peninsula some time in the 1970's. He saw something in a tree and fetched it down. It was a pair of old Russian flintlock rifles smeared up with bear grease and wrapped up in a bear hide. They'd been there a long, long time. The guy who put them there probably wasn't hiding them from government gun confiscators, but that idea can work. They can't take something they can't find. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, langfordbc said:

Fair enough.

Even if they succeed with getting a confiscation program off the ground, I think they could care less about actually collecting the guns - they know the owners are typically more responsible and less dangerous than your average citizen. They'd be just as happy if the guns stayed in owners hands and every once in a while catch an otherwise law abiding, tax paying, family man, and throw them in jail. 

While a great deal of the guns banned in the last five years are registered (pistols and AR's), there are many semi-auto rifles that aren't. Judging by the the rush to buy those guns and the premiums they commanded, I suspect compliance will not be high.

Don't forget, even the RCMP stated that banning and confiscating firearms will NOT keep them out of the hands of criminals. This whole banning was just vote garnering by pandering to a select minority group who only saw guns as weapons used in mass shootings, and not the fact that the person doing the shooting had obtained said guns illegally, and had (in most cases) some kind of mental illness which caused them to act out in such a manner.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:36 PM, Huntster said:

Their tactic here is to restrict access to the hunting resources and restrict ammo shipping in.

They’ve introduced wolves in Colorado and coyotes are exploding on the East Coast, that seems to be another one of their tactics. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:25 PM, Huntster said:

Thirty or so years ago a friend told me of a guy he knew who was in the woods somewhere along the shores of Tustumena Lake on the Kenai Peninsula some time in the 1970's. He saw something in a tree and fetched it down. It was a pair of old Russian flintlock rifles smeared up with bear grease and wrapped up in a bear hide. They'd been there a long, long time. The guy who put them there probably wasn't hiding them from government gun confiscators, but that idea can work. They can't take something they can't find. 

Now that is a great find!

They should have gone to a museum, but they didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

A sort-of connected question from merry ol' England!  Most (all?!) of your suggestions are types of guns to carry for both hunting and protection.  So I wondered if any of you have suggestions about what to carry for visitors travelling to the US who can't carry guns but wanting to explore the countryside, or for those living in countries where guns are not generally permitted?  How would you protect yourselves in situations and places like that? (be it from dangerous people or creatures). Thank you 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

A sort-of connected question from merry ol' England!  Most (all?!) of your suggestions are types of guns to carry for both hunting and protection.  So I wondered if any of you have suggestions about what to carry for visitors travelling to the US who can't carry guns but wanting to explore the countryside, or for those living in countries where guns are not generally permitted?  How would you protect yourselves in situations and places like that? (be it from dangerous people or creatures). Thank you 

Bear Spray. Be cognizant of the wind direction, so your not eaten with burning eyes.

Ok, don’t laugh but this has probably killed more animals in history than a gun has. A boar spear.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-95BOASK-Secure-Ex-Sheath/dp/B004N0KVTS

Not to be confused with a javelin. A Boar spear is designed to thrust with repeatedly. It has a cross guard that limits penetration so it can be pulled back out and not get stuck.

And your last line of defense should always be a knife. Buy a full tang knife. With a decent point for stabbing. A slice is easy to defend against and a straight stab is not. And the point makes a great defense against things bull rushing you.

https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Hunter-Finish-Leather-Micarta/dp/B0D9R5Z2ZJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1DY0XIH00NYNJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.VmUMtBTBo9RnpL8zlqd8Mvs7kqXkoUSG-YMlTQIIKR_FLgoTFd3d_ULfc226d12nuMwaOG480gD2rsUTRxeH5YNiXGR21QJgf5rSW9OAck1bj3f_E1fJWYeFV_frpT7md-xFkAq92Aw3tqHYlFpLmXOQfI1TZdk8XXBmkgrjWaWeyjsv4Rpy0WJlT_Kz-Q-C5CWsLT09ff3RnUoT50oidxSDKVDN35XuqOK4OntFIdkyxQpfimhZf3bmkTvEsEyUWEc_6u2UXXTdUEm_w1a-NLWP71LSSC9tMm1KKpT3vk4.jtoJyJAmN7rydVXcNES9V0eNunPq9Qch63CuMmHAbN0&dib_tag=se&keywords=pig+hunter+knives&qid=1723132796&sprefix=Pig+Hunter+%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-3

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

.........I wondered if any of you have suggestions about what to carry for visitors travelling to the US who can't carry guns but wanting to explore the countryside, or for those living in countries where guns are not generally permitted?..........

A flare gun.

* It's cheap. $83

* It also serves as a signaling device.

* Larry Kaniut, in his "Alaska Bear Tales" book series, notes that in all three cases that he could confirm where a bear attack was countered with a flare gun, the bear (suddenly on fire with an effective "Willie-Pete" round) left the scene in a hurry and the human victim was left without a scratch.

I carry a flare gun kit during my own Alaskan adventures. It consists of an Olin 12 gauge flare gun and a handful of flares in a Pelican waterproof case. It's small and light. It's not a set up for 24/7 instant at-hand personal protection, but I carry a handgun for that. I carry the flare gun for signaling from a troubled camp or broken down off road rig, but if I had it at hand when a troublesome bear got too close, I wouldn't hesitate to light his rump up with it.

IMG_0244.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2024 at 5:00 PM, norseman said:

Bear Spray. Be cognizant of the wind direction, so your not eaten with burning eyes.

Ok, don’t laugh but this has probably killed more animals in history than a gun has. A boar spear.

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-95BOASK-Secure-Ex-Sheath/dp/B004N0KVTS

Not to be confused with a javelin. A Boar spear is designed to thrust with repeatedly. It has a cross guard that limits penetration so it can be pulled back out and not get stuck.

And your last line of defense should always be a knife. Buy a full tang knife. With a decent point for stabbing. A slice is easy to defend against and a straight stab is not. And the point makes a great defense against things bull rushing you.

https://www.amazon.com/Knives-Hunter-Finish-Leather-Micarta/dp/B0D9R5Z2ZJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1DY0XIH00NYNJ&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.VmUMtBTBo9RnpL8zlqd8Mvs7kqXkoUSG-YMlTQIIKR_FLgoTFd3d_ULfc226d12nuMwaOG480gD2rsUTRxeH5YNiXGR21QJgf5rSW9OAck1bj3f_E1fJWYeFV_frpT7md-xFkAq92Aw3tqHYlFpLmXOQfI1TZdk8XXBmkgrjWaWeyjsv4Rpy0WJlT_Kz-Q-C5CWsLT09ff3RnUoT50oidxSDKVDN35XuqOK4OntFIdkyxQpfimhZf3bmkTvEsEyUWEc_6u2UXXTdUEm_w1a-NLWP71LSSC9tMm1KKpT3vk4.jtoJyJAmN7rydVXcNES9V0eNunPq9Qch63CuMmHAbN0&dib_tag=se&keywords=pig+hunter+knives&qid=1723132796&sprefix=Pig+Hunter+%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-3

@norseman I'd thought of bear spray when I come over to visit and travel around, but never thought of a boar spear (never even seen one before!) so that is a great suggestion, thank you. The large knife looks a very decent defence weapon too, assuming it's okay to carry them over there without licence etc? (although knives are not something I am used to as we are not even allowed to carry small knives over here!). But excellent ideas of things to buy as a traveller to the US on landing, many thanks :)

On 8/8/2024 at 5:36 PM, Huntster said:

A flare gun.

* It's cheap. $83

* It also serves as a signaling device.

* Larry Kaniut, in his "Alaska Bear Tales" book series, notes that in all three cases that he could confirm where a bear attack was countered with a flare gun, the bear (suddenly on fire with an effective "Willie-Pete" round) left the scene in a hurry and the human victim was left without a scratch.

I carry a flare gun kit during my own Alaskan adventures. It consists of an Olin 12 gauge flare gun and a handful of flares in a Pelican waterproof case. It's small and light. It's not a set up for 24/7 instant at-hand personal protection, but I carry a handgun for that. I carry the flare gun for signaling from a troubled camp or broken down off road rig, but if I had it at hand when a troublesome bear got too close, I wouldn't hesitate to light his rump up with it.

IMG_0244.png

@Huntster A flare gun is a brilliant idea, especially if it is known to have startled bears and actually stopped or prevented attacks previously. And legal to carry as well! Maybe even legal over here in England too, I will have to check as although we (obviously!) don't have bears and other apex predator animals, there are plenty of other dangerous 'creatures' here these days to necessitate some sort of self-defence plan just in case! 

** Update** I've just checked, and nope, it is also illegal to carry a flare gun in the UK unless you are currently bobbing up and down on a boat on the ocean! So other than a a plastic spoon (!) looks like it's back to the drawing board on that one. But excellent idea to buy one when travelling in America, many thanks for that! :)

• Upvote 1

On 8/12/2024 at 4:12 AM, EnglishRose said:

… we are not even allowed to carry small knives over here!). 

You mean you can’t even carry like a 2-3 inch folding Swiss Army knife over there!?  I have one of those attached to my key ring and I use it almost every day.  

Geez, in the US some people are convinced that the Government is coming to get their machine guns (although that will never happen.)  Maybe you could carry a tactical pen 🖊️?  That’s basically a very strong metal ink pen that writes, but is also better than nothing for self-defense.

Edited by xspider1
  • Upvote 1

"Machine guns." Rather dramatic and factually incorrect.

On 8/12/2024 at 2:23 AM, EnglishRose said:

@Huntster A flare gun is a brilliant idea, especially if it is known to have startled bears and actually stopped or prevented attacks previously. And legal to carry as well! Maybe even legal over here in England too, I will have to check as although we (obviously!) don't have bears and other apex predator animals, there are plenty of other dangerous 'creatures' here these days to necessitate some sort of self-defence plan just in case! 

** Update** I've just checked, and nope, it is also illegal to carry a flare gun in the UK unless you are currently bobbing up and down on a boat on the ocean! So other than a a plastic spoon (!) looks like it's back to the drawing board on that one. But excellent idea to buy one when travelling in America, many thanks for that! :)

We have a saying in America. It’s better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

12 jurors vs 6 pallbearers

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Incorrigible1 said:

"Machine guns." Rather dramatic and factually incorrect.

Dramatic, yes, factually incorrect, no.  That is if you go by what atf.gov says:

"For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Machinegun means:

Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger"

Many AR’s have been modified to be full-auto. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-0#:~:text=For the purposes of the,single function of the trigger

Edited by xspider1

2 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

Dramatic, yes, factually incorrect, no.  That is if you go by what atf.gov says:

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Machinegun means:

• Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger

Many AR’s have been modified to be full-auto. 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-0#:~:text=For%20the%20purposes%20of%20the,single%20function%20of%20the%20trigger

Federal Judge Strikes Down ATF Rule Banning Forced Reset Trigger Devices

A federal district court judge in Texas has struck down the efforts of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) to ban a rapid-fire device known as a forced reset trigger (FRT).

In a 64-page ruling on July 23, Judge Reed O’Connor of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas issued a summary judgment vacating an ATF ruling classifying FRTs as machineguns.

O’Connor further declared the ATF’s classification of FRTs was unlawful and enjoined them from taking civil or criminal legal action or warning notices against people purchasing or possessing these FRTs. The judge also ordered the ATF to return, within 30 days, any FRTs it has seized from manufacturers, resellers, or individual owners.

The judge also ordered the ATF to issue remedial letters, correcting a prior mailing campaign warning FRT owners that possessing those devices is illegal.

The National Association for Gun Rights (NAGR) led this legal challenge against the ATF’s rule on FRTs. The organization helped represent Rare Breed Triggers, the developer of an FRT design.

The gun rights advocacy group had argued the ATF’s enforcement actions concerning FRTs entailed an arbitrary interpretation of existing federal law restricting access to machine guns. The plaintiffs specifically argued that FRTs fell outside the actual statutory definition of a machine gun, as codified in federal law: “Any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can be readily
restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.”