Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

^ correct, a weapon with a forced reset trigger would not technically be considered a machine gun.  A weapon that fires multiple shots with one single function of the trigger (such as an AR that is converted to full-auto) is still considered by the ATF to be a machine gun.  At least that's my understanding based on the above statement which is still up and unmodified on atf.gov.  

The issue is not of particular concern to me because I do not have a converted semi-auto.  I prefer my .357 wheel gun and my lever action 30-30 as mentioned, but to each his/her own.  I did once have a 22 that sort of went full-auto on its own.  Not sure the mechanisms of what happened, but one trigger pull would occasionally result in multiple shots being fired which was very disconcerting.  It was a cheap rifle prone to jamming anyway (which I have zero tolerance for) so I got rid of it.

The last civilian-legal "machine gun" was manufactured in 1986.

Unnecessary drama.

Not to beat a dead horse, but “machine gun" is a term.  If you don’t like the ATF definition, perhaps you have a better definition?

I guess the default is to think about the ‘Tommy guns’ that Al Capone and those guys used to carry but, the shape and underlying mechanisms of the weapon are not defining.  To me, a “machine gun” is a weapon that when engaged a single time begins to spray bullets.  Mileages vary, but an apple is an apple.

6 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but “machine gun" is a term.  If you don’t like the ATF definition, perhaps you have a better definition?.........

Actually, "machine gun" tends to be a term used by lawyers, media, and pokiticuans. The proper technical term, and that used by ATF, is "automatic firearm".

Moreover, in federal law, automatic firearms are perfectly legal as long as one has paid the federal tax and has the permit. State and local laws vary.

15 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but “machine gun" is a term.  If you don’t like the ATF definition, perhaps you have a better definition?

I guess the default is to think about the ‘Tommy guns’ that Al Capone and those guys used to carry but, the shape and underlying mechanisms of the weapon are not defining.  To me, a “machine gun” is a weapon that when engaged a single time begins to spray bullets.  Mileages vary, but an apple is an apple.

The courts recently overruled ATF's definition, as cited above.

The other point being, no one is concerned the government is coming for their machine guns.

ATF actually defines (their official definition) of the term “machine gun” on their website (that is linked above).  No one has to like it, or even accept it.  I am not a lawyer, not ‘in media’, nor a ‘politician’?, I’m just kind of a stickler for words and phrases.  I know what the term defines, but it’s ok with me if others disagree. ;)

• Upvote 1

My wife had more kidney stones removed today and so I had 5 hours to kill. So I hit all of the sporting good stores. 

Cabelas had some .308 plastic casing ammo. I had Cabelas points so I said what the heck I will try a box. I was impressed how light the box is…. Don't know if its gonna cycle right. That Tavor does not like any steel casings.

On 7/26/2024 at 9:00 PM, xspider1 said:

Ok, yeah, I'm all for the 2nd Amendment.  I am not, however, for an unconditional right to keep and bear any and all arms. This may be a topic for a different thread, but I have to ask:

Do you see any conditions at all which should be required for a person to maintain the right to keep and bear arms, especially in public places?

Who thinks that violent, convicted felons should have the right to carry in public?
Who thinks that significantly mentally ill people should have the right to carry in public?

Who think that minors should have the right to carry in public?

Who thinks that it's ok to mount a loaded howitzer in a city yard and point it at passing cars?

Really not trying to stir the pot, just wondering who feels, or doesn't feel, that any gun restrictions at all are appropriate

A few years ago, I was inline at a grocery store here (in a not so good part of town).  The man in front of me in line had a large, apparently semi-automatic pistol in a shoulder holster.  His shoulder holster was designed/fitted so that the (surely loaded and likely cocked and 'locked' pistol) was pointed pretty much directly at my face.  I was offended and felt like grabbing that pistol and whipping the idiot with it.  no joke.  Instead I stepped aside so that I was not in the line of fire from an idiot that probably doesn't know $H^T about gun safety and who is probably well above average to have an accidental discharge.  After I checked and walked to my truck, I noticed that they were parked, illegally, in a handicap spot.  That was no surprise of course, just another disappointment in the stupidity and thoughtlessness of many people.  Without reasonable laws and enforcement, the idiots in this world will definitely descend us into chaos. 

I'm having trouble visualizing how the holster was fitted so the firearm was pointed at your face.  I'm also wondering how you even were able to notice that he was carrying. If the state you are in allows open carry , then he was legal. If not then allowing a concealed firearm to be observed is considered brandishing. Which is illegal.  Why would anyone open carry with a shoulder holster in a grocery store? Nearly all modern holsters are designed to cover the trigger to prevent  negligent discharges. The second safest place for my handgun is in it's holster. Finally  what kind of person,   thinks it would be a good idea attempting to grab a pistol from someone and beating them with it because they are offended?  I distrust the veracity of your whole story

21 hours ago, norseman said:

My wife had more kidney stones removed today and so I had 5 hours to kill. So I hit all of the sporting good stores. 

Cabelas had some .308 plastic casing ammo. I had Cabelas points so I said what the heck I will try a box. I was impressed how light the box is…. Don't know if its gonna cycle right. That Tavor does not like any steel casings.

Whats your every day carry? 

2 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

Whats your every day carry? 

1911 with a .460 Rowland kit. In a recon bag.

5 hours ago, norseman said:

1911 with a .460 Rowland kit. In a recon bag.

Crap. Now I'm thinking of converting my Glock 21.

• Haha 1

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. My Glock 21 is still in the possession of the police in California. When I get it back, we'll see how ammo availability is............

30 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Yeah, it's looking pretty good. My Glock 21 is still in the possession of the police in California. When I get it back, we'll see how ammo availability is............

It’s horrible. I have to order all of mine. The good news is? You can still shoot .45 APC too.

Sorry your Glock is in Kalifornia!😬

1 hour ago, norseman said:

It’s horrible. I have to order all of mine. The good news is? You can still shoot .45 APC too.

Sorry your Glock is in Kalifornia!😬

There seem to be several various loads for the 460. I really like what I'm reading. 

California has put a very difficult system in place to get stolen guns and ammo back. But I'll get it back. 

• Like 1