Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

20 hours ago, Huntster said:

California has put a very difficult system in place to get stolen guns and ammo back. But I'll get it back

I certainly hope you do, Huntster.  Stealing someone’s gun is a very despicable thing to do and I hope there is a special place in hell for anyone who would do that.

I inherited a Colt King Cobra many years ago from my uncle and some fool stole it.  The police made sort of a report, but they weren’t even interested in taking the serial number.  That was very disappointing, but I did get some insurance money.  ;)

So, back to the topic at hand.  If, say, there was a crazy ape of unknown mass out in the woods assaulting folks and someone was tasked with taking it down, what minimum caliber/shots per sec might be ok?  

12 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

.........So, back to the topic at hand.  If, say, there was a crazy ape of unknown mass out in the woods assaulting folks and someone was tasked with taking it down, what minimum caliber/shots per sec might be ok?  

I'd speculate that you'd be dealing with the equivalent of a big brown bear, so a .308 or 30-06 as  minimum rifle caliber up to 300 magnum, 338 magnum, or 375 magnum maximum, or a 12 slug gun at ranges up to 100 yards. Handguns should be 357 magnum minimum, and any handgun bullet should be solid for maximum penetration. 

I like large capacity magazines, even on my hunting rifle. The larger the magazine is the greater opportunity to put lead in the subject before it gets into cover.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

I certainly hope you do, Huntster.  Stealing someone’s gun is a very despicable thing to do and I hope there is a special place in hell for anyone who would do that.

I inherited a Colt King Cobra many years ago from my uncle and some fool stole it.  The police made sort of a report, but they weren’t even interested in taking the serial number.  That was very disappointing, but I did get some insurance money.  ;)

So, back to the topic at hand.  If, say, there was a crazy ape of unknown mass out in the woods assaulting folks and someone was tasked with taking it down, what minimum caliber/shots per sec might be ok?  

Two schools of thought.

The Hunter:

The scenario is your watching your prey from across the canyon. You need a good scope and a long range big game caliber. 

I.e. Winchester model 70 .338 win mag. Leopold 3x9 scope

The Guide:

The scenario is your client made a really bad hit on a dangerous animal and it’s your task to go dispatch it. You need a quick sight, and a caliber that will stop a charge and a weapon light would be nice.

I.e. Marlin Guide Gun .45-70. EO Tech sight, Sure fire weapon light

The Tactical Guy:

The same scenario, but you don’t trust ancient Cowboy technology. If it doesn’t have AR in front of it you don’t own it.

I.e. AR 15 with a .458 SOCOM upper. EO Tech sight, Sure Fire weapons light

Semi Auto’s are nice, but they jam more than a lever, bolt or revolver. Gotta keep em clean. The older platforms are slowly but surely being dragged kicking and screaming into 2024. Picatinny rail options, lighter weight materials, better selection of calibers, as well as better ammo for older calibers, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Huntster mentioned it but I forgot. Shotguns with slugs are no joke. And I think I bought my Remington 870 for like 400 bucks? Cheap.

5 hours ago, norseman said:

Huntster mentioned it but I forgot. Shotguns with slugs are no joke. And I think I bought my Remington 870 for like 400 bucks? Cheap.

Yup. Alaska State Troopers and other law enforcement used shotguns with slugs exclusively for decades on big bears. Their favorite rounds are Brenneke Black Magic slugs. 

• Like 1

^ no doubt!  I’ve never fired or even seen an 8 gauge shotgun, but we had a 8 gauge shell we used to pass around.  It was mind-boggling!

IMG_0771.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Huntster said:

Yup. Alaska State Troopers and other law enforcement used shotguns with slugs exclusively for decades on big bears. Their favorite rounds are Brenneke Black Magic slugs. 

I can’t find them. Always sold out.

23 minutes ago, norseman said:

I see them regularly. I just bought 60 rounds after sighting in a couple shotguns that I got new rifled choke tubes for. Expensive!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, norseman said:

More internet stalking of ammo vendors is needed.  I believe that there is a possibility that the Black Magic Magnum will have a limited future. A Brenneke 12 gauge slug that is not listed on their website but listed at vendors is the Brenneke Bear Protection Slug.  It is shorter and little cheaper than the Magnum.

Budsgunshop.com

Ammoseek.com is a huge time drain to search

Green Top Sporting Goods

MidwayUSA

Outdoor Limited.com

Good hunting

• Upvote 1

I've got a 444 that I'd hate to stand in front of, and I certainly wouldn't want to get in the way of a 12 gauge. Either should put a hole through one. Personally, I'm fond of levers and old school tech. They just work.

17x7

• Like 1

^ Very interesting video, thx Norse!  The 12 gauge pump with multiple 1 oz slug rounds seemed to TCB.  I would definitely feel better carrying that than any pistol with a 2.5 to 3 inch barrel (I have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn with those). :biggrin:

The test with the 500 Bushwacker was a sight to see!  Oh my gosh!

IMG_0777.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, xspider1 said:

^ Very interesting video, thx Norse!  The 12 gauge pump with multiple 1 oz slug rounds seemed to TCB.  I would definitely feel better carrying that than any pistol with a 2.5 to 3 inch barrel (I have trouble hitting the broad side of a barn with those). :biggrin:

The test with the 500 Bushwacker was a sight to see!  Oh my gosh!

IMG_0777.jpeg

I have always carried hard cast bullets for four legged critters. But those hollow points while they lacked penetration? Grenaded that bears head, skull and all. Just chunks flying everywhere. Terrifying. I don’t know how realistic that fake bear head is. But if it’s close? Wow. Of course you’re not going to do a head mount after that. Unless the taxidermist is great at tying flies with a magnifying glass. 😬

That surprised me. I thought they would just petal out against the skull and be done.

• Upvote 1

Also. Shotgun and aiming while under duress? Buckshot>slug>buckshot>slug

• Thanks 1

^ 0-0 buckshot right?  I’m sure that’s good advice.  Back to the hand-guns, I’ve always heard that a .357 round (presumably full-metal jacket) goes straight thru things possibly causing collateral damage.  So, it was recommended to load my revolver with 38’s instead.  In the case of defending against a bear/bigfoot in the woods, I’m thinking that collateral damage (to a tree?) would probably be a minimal concern. :blush:

I am very much a city-boy novice compared to most of y’all in this thread and I very much appreciate your knowledge and actual life experiences!  Around the house, in the Big bad City, my 6 round speed loaders are filled with .357 jacketed hollow points.

Edited by xspider1