Minimum Arms to Carry in Different Circumstances

Huntster

3 minutes ago, xspider1 said:

^ 0-0 buckshot right?  I’m sure that’s good advice.  Back to the hand-guns, I’ve always heard that a .357 round (presumably full-metal jacket) goes straight thru things possibly causing collateral damage.  So, it was recommended to load my revolver with 38’s instead.  In the case of defending against a bear/bigfoot in the woods, I’m thinking that collateral damage (to a tree?) would probably be a minimal concern. :blush:

I am very much a city-boy novice compared to most of y’all in this thread and I very much appreciate your knowledge in regard to this subject!  Around the house, in the Big bad City, my speed clips are loaded with .357 jacketed hollow points.  

For Bears? Double Aught!👍

Yah, in the woods you’re not worried about killing Aunt Gertrude next door! lol! The forest service can send me a bill! And as far as JHP? I would rather penetrate the nervous system than not. Ole Scott at Kentucky Ballistics made an impressive hole with that hand cannon with JHP. But I would not want to bet my life on it.

Hard cast👍

Buffalo Bore. 

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=100

HSM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1001467212?srsltid=AfmBOoqkYqrDaQDJ_EzyJ8DFOoVjvgPGAs7Y7f0V2FU2gCoOkOT4LaYu&pid=618456

If you were going to Kodiak Island? .357 mag would be considered light. But then that Alaskan guide took out a brown bear with a 9mm. But you’re not in Alaska. Black bears die from .357 mag all the time in the west. You just don’t want something that enters the body and pancakes against bone and stops dead. A bear can do a lot of damage with a flesh wound. Those two ammo selections above should get the job done in all but the most extreme situations. 

I use this in my .44 mag. It’s almost twice the weight. But the same velocity. A heavier bullet is hard to argue with in dangerous game.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, xspider1 said:

^ 0-0 buckshot right?  I’m sure that’s good advice.  Back to the hand-guns, I’ve always heard that a .357 round (presumably full-metal jacket) goes straight thru things possibly causing collateral damage.  So, it was recommended to load my revolver with 38’s instead.  In the case of defending against a bear/bigfoot in the woods, I’m thinking that collateral damage (to a tree?) would probably be a minimal concern. :blush:

I am very much a city-boy novice compared to most of y’all in this thread and I very much appreciate your knowledge and actual life experiences!  Around the house, in the Big bad City, my 6 round speed loaders are filled with .357 jacketed hollow points.

The Marshall/Sanow study placed the 357 magnum Federal 125 grain JHP as the #1 one-shot man stopper. 

The same 357 magnum loaded with Underwood 180 grain hard casts would be an outstanding choice for a sidearm in bear country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huntster said:

Bad news for this guy two days ago. A grizzly was tearing him up, and it looks like his hunting partner shot him in the process.

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/2024/08/19/troopers-brown-bear-attack-seriously-injured-hunter-kenai-trail/

I'd just as soon just take the extended mauling than take a bullet too.

I guess he is alive. Too bad there was friendly fire.

Heck, the worse injury of the bear attack was the self inflicted gunshot wound. This is pretty good data for the 10mm semi auto. It's just like I figured; if you can get your hand on it, even if the bear is all over you, you can shoot him off of you all day long........and still not have to reload until that evening..........

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, norseman said:

I don't deal with browns like a few of you guys do it's just blacks . I've probably had at least 100 encounters with them over  the years that includes on my property . I never had to use spray because they they always just run off . Just one time I had an aggressive one on my property and it was the only time I feared it was going to attack my dogs . i grabbed the spray because I kept a can at the back door because honestly I don't want to kill it if I don't have to . After a bluff charge it finally took off with my dogs barking it at it but I was armed with my pistol just in case . Most times just me waving a broom and saying get out of here works :D

• Haha 2

LOl, my only experience with bear spray was accidently letting some loose in our hotel in the Grand Tetons.  Not sure what it will do with a bear, but it will sure clear out a hotel room fast.

• Haha 2

When up in the North Maine Woods, especially in the Fall, the Marlin Guide Gun is usually in the Rover (set up for sleep in back) as in-camp defenses, loaded with Grizzly 405 +P, 2050 fps and 3779 ft lbs or Buffalo Bore 430gr, 1925 fps/3537 ft lbs. Added a picatinny mount on the end of the mag tube for a light. Typically in a field holster but sometimes in a Hill People gear recon pack is the Sig Scorpion 1911 w/ .460 Rowland conversion, Streamlight TLR-1 and full of Buffalo Bore 255gr hard cast at about 935 ft lbs IIRC, 2 extra 8 rnd magazines one with BB HP the other with same 255s. That's my standard set up for most woods work. The Sig gets de-Rowland-ized at times during the Winter when it's packed in the versatile Galco Ironhide and chock full of Atomic 185 gr +P JHPs for under jacket concealed carry out and about among the hairless potential predators. That role is typically and conveniently underserved by a .32 ACP Beretta Tomcat.  A Remington 870 HD with Brenneke Black Magics and light mount is an alternative to the 45-70. 

On 7/22/2024 at 11:57 PM, 7.62 said:

My choice even though I haven't bought one yet would be a mini 14 for just about every thing for a long gun and a Glock 29 on my belt or chest depending on holster 

I picked up a Mini a while back, handy little rifle and light too, til I put on a Hannibal rail, red dot, flashlight and a 30 rnd mag, still not bad. Hannibal rail gives the option for a low power scout scope configuration which may appeal.

Edited by Kiwakwe
typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Somerset said:

Everyone on this thread would be on a list in the UK :lol:

I've got an Air Riffle, a deadly weapon over here. 

You have come a long way from Churchill arming citizens with Winchester .30-30 rifles.