One to Ten

Somerset

On an intelligence scale of 1 to 10 man being a 10 what number would you give Bigfoot?

34 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Define "intelligence".

Good point but humour me think generally, you know how intelligent you are you're a ten, so am I. Bigfoot, a 5.5. The second most intelligent thing on earth? 

With time and training I think you could raise that 5.5 to a 7. 

Intelligence:

1. a: the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : REASON also  : the skilled use of reason

2: the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (such as tests)

b: mental acuteness : SHREWDNESS

c Christian Science : the basic eternal quality of divine Mind

a: INFORMATION, NEWS

b: information concerning an enemy or possible enemy or an area

also  : an agency engaged in obtaining such information

3: the act of understanding : COMPREHENSION

Maybe we should consider a comparison in "wisdom"?:

1 a: ability to discern inner qualities and relationships : INSIGHT

b: good sense : JUDGMENT

c: generally accepted belief

challenges what has become accepted wisdom among many historians—Robert Darnton

d: accumulated philosophical or scientific learning : KNOWLEDGE

2: a wise attitude, belief, or course of action

3: the teachings of the ancient wise men

I think neither quality is a good comparison with modern man. I think sasquatches possess complete mastery of skills long lost by modern man: Life in the Garden of Eden. Man left those skills behind and developed skills to make life possible outside of the Garden. Those skills we are superior in. 

I believe sasquatches chose the better set of skills.

If it exists.  A 10, just for fooling all of us and having us arguing its existence!    

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Tough question, perhaps impossible to even speculate, at least at this time?  I only would suggest that, as a general standard of measurement, if human intelligence reaches a 10; then there are also many humans which would measure very close to 0.  (I consider myself to be a solid 4!)  lol 

• Upvote 1

I like the way Bob Gymlan looks at it in this video, especially from about 9:40 on.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Interesting clip.....one would have to assume an intelligence beyond that of the pongid apes, simply by their covert existence. Then there's the evidence for structured language, as well as cooperative behaviors, although these could be expected from most contemporary hominid forms.

Some have conjectured that with the lack of technological advancement, they, as a branch of humanity, focused on the development of "other skillls" this could include the refinement in the uses of various frequencies of in freely and how to produce and project specific frequencies for specific effect within those they use it with along with possible long range communication.  Of course this might also be extended to include the various "woo factors"

Their capacity for strategic actions seems pretty amazing

• Upvote 2

That should read infrasound rather than "in freely".../

If they were anything other than a 10, human's would have tricked them into getting clear photo evidence. 

At the very least they are genetically programmed to see anything out of the ordinary without conscious thought. Deer do it. Their eyes can send on the information and their body can react before their brain can process the image. 

They may not have developed the concept of zero, but they have the baked in pathways to throw a stone and hit you in the nuts from hundreds of feet away, is what I'm getting at.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2024 at 12:35 PM, NorCalWitness said:

If they were anything other than a 10, human's would have tricked them into getting clear photo evidence. 

The PGF proves to me that they can be tricked. And probably a few other examples as well.

They are good in the woods, but not infallible.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't say that Roger and Bob tricked Patty.  I would say that their perseverance and skills combined good info. and a significant about of with luck just paid off that day.   

5 hours ago, xspider1 said:

I wouldn't say that Roger and Bob tricked Patty.  I would say that their perseverance and skills combined good info. and a significant about of with luck just paid off that day.   

I also attribute a certain degree of success to riding horses.   A sound and scent element that helps tilt the table ever so slightly back to us.    

Edited by Twist
  • Like 1

It all depends on how you classify 'intelligence'.

Our idea of intelligence is heavily influenced by our love affair with technology. We shaped rocks to cut meat, put mankind on the lunar surface and now toy with driver-less cars and Artificial General Intelligence. What's our biggest ever achievement as a species? It's usually expressed through a technological lens. Except, we now rely too heavily on technology - so much so that skills and abilities we once possessed in abundance have evolutionarily withered and atrophied through obsolescence. Pick a random person off the city street, pop them in an environment without technology. I suspect a high percentage would not last more than a few weeks at most.

What if Homo Sapien Sapiens hadn't turned away from nature? What if evolution had greatly heightened and enhanced our senses, intuitions and abilities over a few million years instead of dulling them? Maybe a lot of Sasquatch supposed 'otherworldly' behaviour would actually just be our mundane every day reality. Putting a Sasquatch in a tower block in the middle of a big city - may be a decent premise for a 'snakes on a plane' sequel and probably wouldn't end well. But put an average human in a wild, natural environment - in terrain we might consider to be ordinarily impenetrable or inaccessible to us and the concept of intelligence gets flipped on its head. They could literally run rings around us, and we'd look pretty dumb.

Still - distant remnants of those skills are buried deep in us. Examples of lengthy and mostly undetected existence away from modern society do occur, like Ishi of the Yahi tribe - or perhaps Hiroo Onoda after WWII. But these are the exception rather than the rule. 

As for Patty - given the PGF is such a rare situation, I've always suspected that she might be impaired in some way - hard of hearing or with poor sight maybe. Some handicap that put her more at risk of discovery than usual. I've always quite liked how Cliff Barackman tells it - with Patty squatting on the hillside after discovery, looking down on the two men and watching and learning as she keenly observed them filming her tracks and pouring plaster. That's possibly the last time her tracks were ever found.