Lost hiker in WA survived a month with no supplies?

PNWexplorer

Missing hiker found a month later in Washington, cops say | Idaho Statesman

A missing hiker turned up nearly a month after his dog was discovered on a remote trail in a Washington national park, deputies said. Robert Schock, 39, was last seen by hikers July 31 near the Chilliwack River in the North Cascades National Park, the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office said in a Sept. 4 email to McClatchy News.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article291942860.html#storylink=cpy

The hikers said he wasn’t carrying any overnight supplies, deputies said. His vehicle was then found abandoned at the Hannegan Pass Trailhead on Aug. 3, and his dog was found 8 miles down the trail, deputies said. The car windows were rolled down, and his wallet was left on the dashboard, prompting search efforts for Schock. More teams looked for him Aug. 7 by helicopter and by foot, followed by a “detailed ground search up to Hannegan Pass” on Aug. 15, deputies said. The U.S. Border Patrol even scanned the Chilliwack Basin area by helicopter and sent people onto the trail where his dog was found. But no one could find Schock. Rangers then learned he was found Aug. 30 in the Chilliwack Basin, “alive and well,” deputies said.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/nation-world/national/article291942860.html#storylink=cpy

This story just reeks of the paranormal.

First of all, based on the limited info in the article, we have a male around 40 years old, who drove to a trailhead with his dog for what appears to be a short hike.  Why?  Because he had no overnight supplies such as a tent, food, extra water, sleeping gear, and even left his wallet on the dash of his unlocked vehicle.  Who does that??

He heads down the trail and is observed by other hikers as having no overnight supplies.  Three days later, his dog was found 8 miles down the trail and his vehicle appeared abandoned.  

Four days later, an extensive search is launched via helicopter and on foot.  Another week goes by with no sign of Schock after an extensive search of the area.   The articles noted do not specify what happened between The last noted search on August 15th, and his miraculous discovery on August 30th.

It is only noted that he was found "alive and well" by a trail team working on the trail when they heard his cries.

Great news...

But how does an apparently novice hiker survive a month in the wilderness with nearly no supplies or knowledge on how to utilize them?

15 minutes ago, PNWexplorer said:

..........The car windows were rolled down, and his wallet was left on the dashboard, prompting search efforts for Schock.........

.........This story just reeks of the paranormal..........

It reeks of mental illness, which is at epidemic levels today throughout society.

• Upvote 2

I know they stated he was found "alive and well", but I wonder, had he lost weight? Was he dehydrated? Seems implausible that he could survive a month

in the wilderness and come out in good shape. If at all.  

Doesn't sound like he was out there for a month found alive and well ? I guess they need to explain what they mean by alive and well .

19 hours ago, PNWexplorer said:

Three days later, his dog was found 8 miles down the trail

Smart dog abandons human. I believe the story will unravel soon. He was in Grizzly territory. His smell may have repelled carnivores.

On 9/5/2024 at 5:15 AM, PNWexplorer said:

Missing hiker found a month later in Washington, cops say | Idaho Statesman

A missing hiker turned up nearly a month after his dog was discovered on a remote trail in a Washington national park, deputies said. Robert Schock, 39, was last seen by hikers July 31 near the Chilliwack River in the North Cascades National Park, the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office said in a Sept. 4 email to McClatchy News.

The hikers said he wasn’t carrying any overnight supplies, deputies said. His vehicle was then found abandoned at the Hannegan Pass Trailhead on Aug. 3, and his dog was found 8 miles down the trail, deputies said. The car windows were rolled down, and his wallet was left on the dashboard, prompting search efforts for Schock. More teams looked for him Aug. 7 by helicopter and by foot, followed by a “detailed ground search up to Hannegan Pass” on Aug. 15, deputies said. The U.S. Border Patrol even scanned the Chilliwack Basin area by helicopter and sent people onto the trail where his dog was found. But no one could find Schock. Rangers then learned he was found Aug. 30 in the Chilliwack Basin, “alive and well,” deputies said.

This story just reeks of the paranormal.

First of all, based on the limited info in the article, we have a male around 40 years old, who drove to a trailhead with his dog for what appears to be a short hike.  Why?  Because he had no overnight supplies such as a tent, food, extra water, sleeping gear, and even left his wallet on the dash of his unlocked vehicle.  Who does that??

He heads down the trail and is observed by other hikers as having no overnight supplies.  Three days later, his dog was found 8 miles down the trail and his vehicle appeared abandoned.  

Four days later, an extensive search is launched via helicopter and on foot.  Another week goes by with no sign of Schock after an extensive search of the area.   The articles noted do not specify what happened between The last noted search on August 15th, and his miraculous discovery on August 30th.

It is only noted that he was found "alive and well" by a trail team working on the trail when they heard his cries.

Great news...

But how does an apparently novice hiker survive a month in the wilderness with nearly no supplies or knowledge on how to utilize them?

I am open to the paranormal and have had anomalous events happy to me in the deep woods. However, this case doesn't reek of paranormal as you say, unless you've fallen for David Paulides's missing 411 con. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

I am open to the paranormal and have had anomalous events happy to me in the deep woods. However, this case doesn't reek of paranormal as you say, unless you've fallen for David Paulides's missing 411 con. 

What is the "con" that you allude to?

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, wiiawiwb said:

What is the "con" that you allude to?

David is a great storyteller and a great documentary maker. However, he plays loose with facts. He once mentioned a case about a young man who was murdered in small town Kansas, Alonzo Brooks. Brooks was the victim of a small town race related murder. You can look up the info on him, as his case was featured in lots of media. He went to a party, was the lone black guy, hit on a girl, got beat to death, nobody talked and the suspects were related to the law in the city. The FBI and KBI got involved. They found his body in the creek behind the house and Paulides decided that matched his patterns. That made me start to question the cherry picked, embellished stories he puts out. He starts with an assumption and leads the facts to his end goal. He is profiting off of spinning yarns around tragedy. Do I think there are bizarre disappearances? Yes. Do I think Paulides is honest? Not even close. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

Do I think there are bizarre disappearances? Yes. Do I think Paulides is honest? Not even close. 

Are there any Missing 411 reports you've read that you consider honest and fairly reported?

Admin
4 hours ago, NorCalWitness said:

David is a great storyteller and a great documentary maker. However, he plays loose with facts. He once mentioned a case about a young man who was murdered in small town Kansas, Alonzo Brooks. Brooks was the victim of a small town race related murder. You can look up the info on him, as his case was featured in lots of media. He went to a party, was the lone black guy, hit on a girl, got beat to death, nobody talked and the suspects were related to the law in the city. The FBI and KBI got involved. They found his body in the creek behind the house and Paulides decided that matched his patterns. That made me start to question the cherry picked, embellished stories he puts out. He starts with an assumption and leads the facts to his end goal. He is profiting off of spinning yarns around tragedy. Do I think there are bizarre disappearances? Yes. Do I think Paulides is honest? Not even close. 

How is it that you can follow a YouTube channel of a guy filming dead trees in Colorado claiming Bigfoot made all these structures and then criticize the 411 books?🤷‍♂️

Like that is a giant chasm of common sense.

Dennis Martin’s family? Never saw him again. Bart Schleyer’s family? Never saw him again. This are REAL happenings under strange circumstances. In some cases down right bizarre circumstances.

So the 411 books are garbage. But Colorado guy is legit? Explain that to me….

This guy.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, norseman said:

How is it that you can follow a YouTube channel of a guy filming dead trees in Colorado claiming Bigfoot made all these structures and then criticize the 411 books?🤷‍♂️

Like that is a giant chasm of common sense.

Dennis Martin’s family? Never saw him again. Bart Schleyer’s family? Never saw him again. This are REAL happenings under strange circumstances. In some cases down right bizarre circumstances.

So the 411 books are garbage. But Colorado guy is legit? Explain that to me….

This guy.

I said in my post that the guy was insane, I simply said he gets some interesting tree structures on film. Just because I think the tree structures he finds are interesting doesn't mean I agree with anything he says. Do you understand? Its not hard. Try to keep up. 

2 hours ago, wiiawiwb said:

Are there any Missing 411 reports you've read that you consider honest and fairly reported?

As I said there are anomalous disappearances. However, most of his cases are bunk in my estimation. 

• Haha 1

Admin
27 minutes ago, NorCalWitness said:

I said in my post that the guy was insane, I simply said he gets some interesting tree structures on film. Just because I think the tree structures he finds are interesting doesn't mean I agree with anything he says. Do you understand? Its not hard. Try to keep up. 

As I said there are anomalous disappearances. However, most of his cases are bunk in my estimation. 

I think the 411 books have vastly more credibility than some dude in Colorado wandering around a burnt forest thinking Bigfoot is responsible.

But that’s just me.

I can take you onto property I own and show you gobs of tree structures. Missing persons don’t happen every day or year. And strange disappearances? Once in a life time.

I am grateful for the 411 books. Without them I wouldn’t even be aware of cases like Dennis Martin. Maybe some of the stories are inaccurate or embellished. It happens. But many of them are straight up bizarre and backed up by the 411 documentaries in which many of the witnesses are interviewed on camera.