Bigfoot or other cryptids more visible in daytime or night....

Bucky

my thought is ...both....but at night more of a hunter due to allot of animals sleeping not nocturnal

slower due to light....plus being seen themselves ....hope this was understandable

My thoughts are that since both predator and prey animals do not have the same internal sleep clock that humans have, they become most active when their stomachs warrant it.

For example, at my parent's house in the country, they have mt. lions, deer, bears, elk, bobcats and turkeys on their trail cams all the time. Most, but not all, of the mt. lions, deer, elk and bobcats are in darkness. Only the bears and turkeys have shown up only in the daylight. The reason that I believe this is the case with bears, is that they are omnivores and vegetation and grubs/insects are their main diet and turkeys roost at night feeding on most of the same stuff the bears are eating, so, they do not need to follow the prey when the prey is active.

The deer and elk move about and eat at night and during the day. They mostly like the night time, however, hunters would go meatless if those animals didn't move during the day. The prey animals have to do the same. I have seen deer and elk in the daylight many thousands of times during my life. I have often seen bobcats and bears during the day as well as, now it stands, at 3 mt. lions.

The point of this is that bigfoot, I believe, is an omnivore and doesn't have to move around at night much. I witnessed a bobcat kill a deer and a mt. lion kill a deer during the day, so it would not be a stretch to say that a sasquatch would take advantage of hunting at night or during the day. So, the question is; why is it at night time that the sasquatch is much more active and mischievous? One rarely hears of a night time sighting or encounter where the sasquatch is hunting, although it has been reported. I think they are equipped for the night time shenanigans and are aware that humans are their biggest threat and that humans generally sleep at night. 

Or, that is just how they are and humans are not much of a factor in this.

Admin

On 9/21/2024 at 9:10 AM, Doug said:

I think they are equipped for the night time shenanigans

Good one; "night time shenanigans". Animals have evolved to use starlight at night to move around. Humans can't use starlight.  Humans usually sleep at night. I don't follow the adventures of apes in Africa but they also sleep at night. On this forum, Norseman's trail camera images show 4 legged animals seamlessly moving around in a light condition known to humans as total darkness ( starlight ). The following link touches upon the 70% of animals that roam around at night,

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/paid-content-nightlife-animals-after-dark#:~:text=While most birds are active,the Hoffman's two-toed sloth.

If Bigfeet are out at night shouldn’t their eyes reflect a flashlight ?   Seems like it would be a give away 

image.jpeg.ed5d6ad67b330f9179acb45b7426e10b.jpeg

This would make them easier to find at least with bright flashlights, high tech trail cams, and so on.    If I’m a hiding animal/ shy animal I dont want the beacon of bright eyes in the light to give me away.   Sometimes we want to be seen at night but this adaptation, while useful in night vision, seems like it could backfire when dealing with people.  

Are apes or monkeys out at night?  If so how well do their eyes reflect to a flashlight.   

image.jpeg.ca7ebc8e6cfd23dd1fdf7f1c9179caf4.jpeg

2 hours ago, Backdoc said:

............Are apes or monkeys out at night?.........

Seems to me that great apes are fairly inactive at night.........with the exception of young adult homo sapiens, which appears to be an adaptation of the industrial age of the past couple centuries or so and limited to cities. Is it possible that sasquatches long ago adapted to nocturnal life to avoid their greatest enemies, Homo sapiens?

Apes and monkeys evolved mostly as tree-dwellers. As such, their eye placement provided them binocular-vision for good depth perception to facilitate grasping branches to move about in their arboreal environment. Apes and monkeys naturally cease to move about in low light conditions because of the danger of falling.

In addition we (we're great apes) developed color vision to better spot the fruit for our diet and to better discern which fruits were ripe.

As hominids and some ape species gravitated toward ground-dwelling, it's possible their low-light vision capabilities could have improved. That doesn't seem the case in Homo, but the possibility for bigfoot creatures is intriguing.

Admin

Neanderthals had much bigger eyes than we did. Because they hunted in caves and at night in Ice age Europe.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scientists-simulated-neanderthal-behaviors-by-catching-birds-with-their-bare-hands-180978737/#:~:text=There is also evidence that,our ancestors used for shelter.

Some have went so far as to suggest because Neanderthals had such good night vision and much of their brain went to support the vision? They were not able to compete with Homo Sapien brains. 

IMG_2050.jpeg

For all the hunters here, I apologize if this is common knowledge:

I had a friend who hunted out west.  He told me when he left his truck, he would from time-to-time tie reflective tape around the base of a tree along his path.  This way if it got dark, he could use his flashlight to retrace his path back to his truck (tearing the pieces off as he went) It was essentially reflective bread crumb trail leading him back.  

So, what's the point?

Just as he could flash a flashlight into the woods and brush and 'see' the reflection I would think this would be the case with some animals.   If such an animal was looking your way, then your flashlight would make their eyes facing you glow giving them away.   

If bigfoot is out there it would seem the same thing might be possible.  Joggers know this all too well...

Image result for joggers reflecitve clothing

Admin
3 hours ago, Backdoc said:

If Bigfeet are out at night shouldn’t their eyes reflect a flashlight ?   Seems like it would be a give away 

image.jpeg.ed5d6ad67b330f9179acb45b7426e10b.jpeg

This would make them easier to find at least with bright flashlights, high tech trail cams, and so on.    If I’m a hiding animal/ shy animal I dont want the beacon of bright eyes in the light to give me away.   Sometimes we want to be seen at night but this adaptation, while useful in night vision, seems like it could backfire when dealing with people.  

Are apes or monkeys out at night?  If so how well do their eyes reflect to a flashlight.   

image.jpeg.ca7ebc8e6cfd23dd1fdf7f1c9179caf4.jpeg

Only very primitive primates possess a tapetum lucidum. 

Typically color vision is a trade off to night vision. But there are ways around it. Like evolving larger eyes.

19 minutes ago, Backdoc said:

.......Just as he could flash a flashlight into the woods and brush and 'see' the reflection I would think this would be the case with some animals.   If such an animal was looking your way, then your flashlight would make their eyes facing you glow giving them away.   

If bigfoot is out there it would seem the same thing might be possible.  Joggers know this all too well...

Maybe. As a hunter, I look for movement at long distances to locate game. In wooded areas where movement is masked by cover or long distance views are restricted by cover, I try to attract game with baits, scents, and calls.

One of the main reasons for switching from a revolver to a modern semi-automatic handgun for close range defense, especially at night while in a tent, is the newer, high powered lights that readily attach to these handguns. In the case that self defense is necessary, however, eye glow might only be a factor at longer ranges (>40-60 yards) where the light is losing range for identifying stationary creatures. 

If one was trying to catch eye shine from creatures at night, how far might a powerful, handheld flashlight reflect back? I would guesstimate that range would be effectively limited to a couple hundred yards. A car's headlights are @ 750 lumens, and most handheld flashlights don't offer much more than that power. I suppose one could find a fairly compact light that could double a vehicle headlight.

Edited by Huntster

Something that  for the most part is still unexplainable is thermal .

Just about every bigfoot guy now has it and still nothing 

This is why in my opinion 99.9 %of researchers who think they are interacting or having an encounter are not .

It's forest sounds  combined with wishful thinking 

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 7.62 said:

Just about every bigfoot guy now has it and still nothing..........

Well, actually, there are several videos claiming sasquatches captured in thermal video. The problem us that such videos can be easily a man. It's easier to hoax than a man in a suit in daylight.

42 minutes ago, Huntster said:

Well, actually, there are several videos claiming sasquatches captured in thermal video. The problem us that such videos can be easily a man. It's easier to hoax than a man in a suit in daylight.

That's why I said and nothing . There is not that many out there by researchers actually . A few blob squatches here and there . Youtube and other social media  has 100's  if not a few thousand of researchers that have a channel .

They are quick to post and start  filming and saying they are having an encounter but they can't seem to find anything on thermal . That's what I'm getting at . Unless bigfoot has some type of ninja 

ability to defeat thermal there should be several thousands of videos posted every year of bigfoot on thermal . There isn't an explanation for that if there were this many encounters and interactions with these creatures by researchers . They are not having an encounter it's just in their minds 

Edited by 7.62
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 7.62 said:

Just about every bigfoot guy now has it and still nothing 

This is why in my opinion 99.9 %of researchers who think they are interacting or having an encounter are not .

It's forest sounds  combined with wishful thinking 

I don't think you can make the leap that everyone who has a thermal has or will upload video content. I have said many times that if I got the-real-McCoy video, it would never find its way to the public's eyes. I believe this concept is not unique to me. Therefore, it may very well be out there but the person who took the video is not willing to share it.

As far as the 99.9% is concerned, what researchers are you speaking of and how did you arrive at that percentage?

Edited by wiiawiwb