Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

These pictures are from several years ago, and believe I posted these back in the old BFF, but worth a repeat.

This is at my place near Granite Falls Washington, remote, on private property, and I called it 'Bigfoot's Lookout'. It offered a fantastic 360 degree view, and in particular the lake below. It's just a huge boulder with a cozy area on top to hang out, observe the area, or take a nap. There is a trail that goes to the top, and the day I went there to take pictures, found what appears to be a nice hand/finger scrape. The impression is to the right of the trail, and in a location that would be natural to drop a hand for support, which appears to have slipped from the force, causing the slide. I remember dropping my arm the same way climbing to the top, but my arm wasn't long enough to put down where the scrape was, and would have to bend unnaturally to that direction to do so. One picture shows the trail in blue and the hand scrape area in red.

Unfortunately, this area burned that same year, ruining this amazing place.

post-193-0-17048800-1430495407_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-01188300-1430495421_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-95595000-1430495583_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-62634500-1430495670_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-20612300-1430495705_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-20868800-1430495766_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-65505900-1430495777_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-97903900-1430495786_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

In post #1231 picture 2...does anyone know what type of purple tree that is?  I don't know if I've ever seen one.

Oh...and I live in Dallas, but most of my outdoor experience is in Delta county, near Cooper and Paris.  Where in Texas is this area?

I like your pictures Bigtex.

I like the Madrona trees. They peel and shed their bark every year. Turning from red to green, then red 'til the cycle starts over.

Oh...and I live in Dallas, but most of my outdoor experience is in Delta county, near Cooper and Paris.  Where in Texas is this area?

Granite Falls is in Washington.

It's been mostly raining down here, which is a very VERY wonderful thing, but I haven't been out much........and more rain coming over the next week:)

I've missed you guys, should be some great visible sign in the soft soil of animal activity out here, can't wait to get back out in the woods! 

PS......as mentioned before, I always carry a good sized rock in my hand, the reasoning & fact is you can get it heading in the direction of danger faster than any weapon, and it works even if you don't hit your target directly.

I hear you, I had my hand on a rock the entire season after I started finding cougar sign a few years back... that was feeling like clear and present danger for a while, had to do a 360 scan and face the direction I came from before I could bend down and look at anything... seemed it was a transient that went away again, but I sure keep my eyes peeled for sign now. I am making it a habit to stuff some rocks in pockets though. Black bears are getting (re)established only a couple or three dozen miles away from my stomping grounds, so could potentially run across one of them in future.

For those of you who follow this, you know Lucy, aka 'Lulu' the wolf, what an amazing creature (I'm completely biased, sorry:), totally stealthy in the woods, blah, blah, but have I ever mentioned silly? Lulu the Entertainer at home, and she loves to smile.......she knows it's cute too. As for hiking..........r-a-i-n-i-n-g = L-A-Z-Y Bum.

post-193-0-44544100-1431985427_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-53090300-1431985445_thumb.jpg

Guest Divergent1

Cuteness extraordinaire!! I like that blue Bokhara rug you have. You don't see that color often

Bigtex, I know I'd be biased too if I had such a wonderful character like that for a companion. Great smile!

BFF Patron

She knows she is special.