Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Bigtex,

I love your pics and I have to ask, what's up with the rock stack, did you do that?

Be careful out there.

Chiggers, ticks and flies....oh my.  So far I've been in the woods just a few times this Spring.  Got more bites from ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos in this short time than all of last year.  Lots of rain, more grass and foliage, means more ticks and chiggers for them to hide in, more water for mosquitos to breed in, and wow!  I bought the giant economy size repellant and lots of tea tree oil.

A friend who does not visit the woods at all, got 7-8 ticks on her in just a few hours working in her home veggie garden.

Lyme disease can be very bad for older folks I hear, so be aware.

Edited by Sunflower

Hey Sunflower......yes I stacked rocks at the Dino print, if that's what you're talking about. Found another Dino print Tuesday that was absolutely huge, and must have been a terrifying creature......didn't have my camera handy, was swimming, but will be going back to get a picture. And yes......lots of bugs!!

BFF Patron

LOL......I like cheese pizza, no toppings. The folks I live with get some very strange stuff on theirs, and they end up not liking it......glad someone around here does:)

One of the pizza boxes from the other night was one slice shy of a whole pizza, and had anchovies & black olives....yuk. Better leave some Rolaids by the trash can.

If I had a BF visiting my garbage cans they would be under 24 hour surveillance by my Dropcam. You should look into that if you have local wifi at your house. It stores images via the web that can be reviewed anytime. Is HD too. The storage fee for a weeks worth of surveillance is $100 a year. Anything older than a week is recorded over but you can strip out and save images at any time. Even though the trigger sensor is IR, with the rest of lights around most houses, a BF probably would not be able to tell the difference between that and some normal light. They are way smaller than a game cam and can easily be hidden. Edited by SWWASASQUATCHPROJECT

Hey SWW.......my focus has kinda changed over the years, and I'm not really doing much hard research anymore that involves technology. I am trying to clear my mind of those thoughts that I believe the big lugs can 'sense', and try to have a more fun & mischief type approach. Probably sounds a bit crazy to most......but I am having more 'fun' now, if you follow me. I finally saw one of the locals back in December after 10+ years of searching, so maybe my more casual relaxed approach is working. Only drawback of course is I have nothing to capture any special moments, and any of those moments aren't even worth discussing without some type of proof.

I spent years designing & making my own stealthy surveillance gear, and IMO have THE best home-made trail-cam for BF research on the planet, and I rarely deploy it......just sits on the shelf, along with about 10K spent on other neat stuff.

BFF Patron

No ripping from me.   You are the best judge of whatever technique works for you.      The more gear I started to carry the less friendly my encounters became.   Maybe I blew it because of that since I seem to have lost contact with the family group I was dealing with.      I like to blame it on clear cutting but it might have been the gear I carry.    Gun or camera I cannot know what they don't like. 

I have really believed for about 25 years now that the BF's are totally hip to any kind of visible technology, and will take great care to avoid & not trust your intentions. 

Hey Sunflower......yes I stacked rocks at the Dino print, if that's what you're talking about. Found another Dino print Tuesday that was absolutely huge, and must have been a terrifying creature......didn't have my camera handy, was swimming, but will be going back to get a picture. And yes......lots of bugs!!

You did a good job with the rocks. Did anyone mess with them?

Edited by Sunflower

Hey SWW.......my focus has kinda changed over the years, and I'm not really doing much hard research anymore that involves technology. I am trying to clear my mind of those thoughts that I believe the big lugs can 'sense', and try to have a more fun & mischief type approach. Probably sounds a bit crazy to most......but I am having more 'fun' now, if you follow me. I finally saw one of the locals back in December after 10+ years of searching, so maybe my more casual relaxed approach is working. Only drawback of course is I have nothing to capture any special moments, and any of those moments aren't even worth discussing without some type of proof.

I spent years designing & making my own stealthy surveillance gear, and IMO have THE best home-made trail-cam for BF research on the planet, and I rarely deploy it......just sits on the shelf, along with about 10K spent on other neat stuff.

BigTex,

Thanks for sharing your change of mind on tactics/approach to BF research.

I do find it surprising, given that I also thought you had a pretty good trail-cam system and setup.

This withdrawal of technology from the field is something that I have noticed from others too.

The premise is that the odds of a sighting/encounter will increase if technology is not deployed.

I believe KB went this route (based on my reading of his book).  Also, I know a BFRO team leader from Oregon that also went this route.

In both cases it appears to have worked.

Not sure if it worked because of luck or because it allowed the researchers to be more aware of their surroundings (instead of focusing on gadgets and getting the evidence).

With regard to BF sensing the intentions of BF researchers, I have read about this claim before but it is speculative and almost sounds like an excuse for our failure to detect the creature with our instruments.

I wonder how much money has been spent cumulatively and per BF researcher over the last 50 years in technology (gadgets to capture BF evidence) that has led to nothing.

In retrospect, the gadgets are toys for adults to play BF research and as long as it was fun to search, it was money well spent.

Just wish that the technological toys had been more fruitful in yielding evidence.

It has rained the last several days, always needed, but haven't been out this week......hopefully tomorrow.

As far as my withdrawal of technology in the field, more specifically, I am not using anything in my main research areas. However, if I go to a new place, and/or get contacted by a witness......then by all means I will deploy some techy stuff. I'm just worried about upsetting the locals in the areas I frequent. So if any of you readers out there are experiencing any activity......contact me, and will bring some SPECIES SPECIFIC gear. This might be a reason that nothing seems to work, if the item is pulled from a shelf or on-line, it's probably not going to work.......think out of the box, and design your own stuff.

That would be an interesting expense figure Explorer, but just don't let any of the wives know, or it could end Bigfooting as we know it:) 

Was clear all day yesterday, and headed out about 5:30......got to my furthest point from my truck, and a huge thunder storm rolled in, got soaked pretty good. Found two juvie prints, one a little older and washed out, but the really cool find was a rare Texas Alligator Lizard. 

post-193-0-68471500-1435180243_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-59170800-1435180256_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-87882800-1435180267_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-62974600-1435180322_thumb.jpg

Still getting some rain, which is great, but keeping me out of the woods.......highs have been about 92 so far, which is very low for this time of year.

Here's a print I found the other day on a downward slope, pushing & piling up material on the low side, and outlined in red.

post-193-0-46407400-1435779124_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

Wow, that's an interesting print Bigtex, do you think the toes are at the bottom, opposite the red, and the heel is in the red area? Midtarsal area around where the twig crosses? On my monitor at least, it looks like sort of faint toe imprints from a right foot.

Hey Mesabe, the track was made on wetter ground that had dried by the time I took the photo. It appears that the individual was coming down the slope at an angle, and the foot slid a bit to the right as a result, making the track appear longer than the foot making it and a bit curved. The blue mark appears to be an impression of the big toe, the green marks are where the other toes slid under the debris, with the heel in yellow, and the squiggly lines where the heel slid a bit too.

post-193-0-17589200-1435849702_thumb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic