Need Help In Central Texas.........

Bigtex

Not at all  Mesabe, very easy to see that with a one dimensional photo, just wish you guys could be here to see 3D live!!

Also, anytime you guys would like me to outline certain features in my photos for better 'live' interpretation, please let me know.....and thanks Mesabe:)

Edited by Bigtex

Thanks Bigtex, it's good to see someone having current activity in their area.

Like I said B4 this is my fav. thread, the one I check 1st after logging in. Your photo documentation is awesome. The volume of evidence is huge, from all the deer kills, trails, tracks, etc. Sure, some scoftics will always find reasons to doubt what's presented, but you are out there enough to tell the difference from hog tracks, human trails, etc.

Have you examined any of the deer skeletons for tooth marks like presented in another thread in this forum?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Mesabe.......very much appreciated:) I have not examined many chew or bite marks on bones, and pay more attention to fractures & breaks, which IMO happens first in most BF kills. Their kills tend to be blunt force trauma as opposed to the teeth & claws of other predators. 

Hope everyone had a fun & safe 4th!

Here are some random pics, not sure what order they will post, but here they are;

1 - I've posted before about the pioneer homesteaders from way back that I find remnants of in certain areas, and only their stone works are still (barely) visible, the storms partially uncovered this stone pathway down to a water source, outlined, with a split at the bottom.

2 - The Lago Pyramid, this 'hill' has the perfect pyramid shape, and has some amazing large cut stones on the rectangular flat top........need to get up there again with my camera.

3 - Some nice summer flowers

4 - Would you swim in this pool....read the rules!

5 - Maybe the wifey is coming around....BF air re-freshener for fathers day:)

post-193-0-58316100-1436207574_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-00979800-1436207849_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-24021600-1436207866_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-65017500-1436207879_thumb.jpg

post-193-0-99269800-1436207904_thumb.jpg

LOL OKBFFan.......I agree, and was expecting 'skunk scent'. Oklahoma I presume......I'm a Texas boy, but went to OU -BOOMER SOONER!

Glad to hear. Big OU fan. My son just graduated from Allied Health. He's a doctor of physical therapy now.

Bigtex, I enjoy your research and photos. I tend to agree with your thoughts about blunt force trauma.

On that track photo above could that have been a fist print ahead of the footprint? But it is an odd place to put a fist down on the downhill side of a track. I know if it was me going down a hill and slipping my hand would probably come down on the uphill side. Just an observation.

This track was heading down slope, and slightly changing direction to the right causing curve in the foot slide. Like any picture, hard to capture the 3D live effect. You would have to see it, but would be hard to get hand down at the angles involved.

That's kind of what I thought. I do know the problems with taking track pictures. They never have the details of the actual track. Thanks for considering my question Bigtex.

• 2 weeks later...

It's July in Central Texas, very dry & hot.......not a whole lotta fun, and hard to track anything out there. I leave for my summer hikes around 6:30PM, and it's still around 95 degrees, too hot to hike on the flats, and have to stay down in the North-South ravines, as the suns arc & heat only affects them a few hours a day and they stay cooler. Now hike in a East-West ravine, and it is much MUCH hotter down there, like an oven, as the arc of the sun bakes it most of the day. One unusual but very nice bonus this summer, with all the rain we had this spring, creeks are still flowing, with many pools throughout the area still holding water. However, I just won't see much this time of year unless I go out at night......but the snakes are bad, and trying to stay away from them.

Hiked yesterday and the Wolf caught a Ring-tailed Cat, absolutely beautiful creature......and when the Ridgeback tried to take it from her, she bristled her fur from end to end, and made a deep growl I had never heard before, very menacing, Duncan backed off, and she ate the whole critter in one gulp......Wow, like being in the middle of a Wolf documentary.

Found this one rather large piggy track.......don't wanna find this bad boy:)

post-193-0-40889800-1437490871_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bigtex

If you guys have never been in his side of the world, when we talk 'Hill county', your talking lots of hills, steep and rocky.  

Loads of cedar, oak, cactus and critters. 75' in the Leander area is where my 'possible' encounter was. 

Edited by Wheellug

Hey Wheellug......good to hear from you:) Tell us about your encounter in Leander!

FYI......the oldest complete skeleton and ancient burial site in the USA was found in Leander back in 1983, a female between the age of 18 & 25, and named 'Leane' or 'The Leanderthal Lady'.......do a search, an interesting read for sure.

BFF Patron

I bet you don't dare take anything away from your wolf. It is a tricky process taking anything from a dog.

Yup......I just watch when it involves the other dogs, it's not like a dog growling about food or something, what she does & did is something completely different, and deadly serious.......watch any wolf documentary when they are at a kill site to see this behavior. 

However, I can approach her in these same situations without the other dogs, and she doesn't even react, knows that I won't try to take it to keep & eat, and when I do it's to move it to a more secure location, which she doesn't seem to mind at all. When I feed them at night, dogs eat together in the kitchen, but she has to be alone, and I feed her in another room under the dining room table. If you've ever seen a wolf or coyote kill, they each take a piece to go off near the kill site to eat alone in peace......same behavior here.

While on the subject, has anyone ever played 'Fetch' with a Wolf? Hah, prepare to bleed! As soon as I am in throwing motion, it's all claws jumping on me trying to get it before the throw......once thrown a quick retrieval, then full speed back to me growling like crazy, and more jumping on me with whatever it is still in her mouth......just to make sure that I know it was retrieved I guess, I'm good for one or two throws, then on to find first aid kit:)

post-193-0-94100600-1437501207_thumb.jpg

• gigantor unlocked and featured this topic
  • gigantor unlocked this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured this topic
  • gigantor unpinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor unlocked and pinned this topic
  • gigantor featured this topic
  • gigantor unfeatured and featured this topic