Does Sasquatch Fear Mankind?

Guest Twilight Fan

Guest JiggyPotamus

I don't think they fear us all that much. If they do, it probably is an instinct more than a choice, them being just as animal-like as any of us...They don't have a very developed culture like us though, therefore I doubt they spend much time colluding on how to avoid humans. They just do it. Why?

Probably because of past encounters. If a little bigfoot (oxymoron) is raised to avoid humans, it WILL do so regardless of if it knows exactly why it must do so. That could produce some anxiety in itself. If one is taught to avoid a certain thing from an impressionable age, even humans, then it is feasible that an innate fear response may be induced when encountering that specific thing.

I would think that many bigfoot go without seeing a human for extended periods of time, due to being more concentrated population-wise the higher up the mountains, and the further into the depths of large forests. I believe that is adequate enough to explain why they seem to fear humans. I also do not believe it is that easy to discern fear from avoidance, or even annoyance...Haha.

There are videos that I deem to be credible which show bigfoot subjects leaving the area extremely gingerly. Multiple videos. More than 5. And I can count the videos I deem authentic with the fingers on two hands, which to me says a lot. I think that there are other videos that are likely to be real, but there isn't enough movement or behavior visible to make a determination.

Guest caoimhin

Hi, I'm new here. This is my first post other than new member introduction.

I wonder if "leery" might be a better way to describe Sasquatch behavior in regard to humans. I've read couple of books about these creatures and read many 'accounts' of possible encounters and in nearly all these accounts (I can't vouch for credibility), the creature in question simply walks away. I know when I feel frightened or threatened, i tend to run, not walk away. I have spent considerable amount of time in the woods either hiking, camping or fishing (I like small remote lakes or streams where the only access is walking in). I know that I've been followed or observed by Coyotes and Mountain Lion. They didn't run from me, but, they kept their distance. I've seen black bears a few times but never had a direct run-in with one (read my introduction, maybe I did).

Many of the 'accounts' I've read, especially from the 'wild west' days of yore, purport that one or more of these creatures was shot and killed by minors, cattlemen, etc. And, in November of 2010, a bear hunter in California claims to have shot an adult female and child Sasquatches. As far as anyone knows (except the hunter) there is no physical proof. To me, if these elusive creatures do exist then I can clearly see why they wouldn't exactly fear humans, but be very leery of hairless men carrying 'firesticks'.

I've wondered something similar to the "firesticks" notion that sasquatch might think of us. I wonder if they are afraid or intrigued by the concept of our flashlights, vehicle lights, etc. I wonder if they view it as a "power" or ability that we have that they do not. I understand it's believed they have incredible night vision but I assume they can differentiate between the light we create.

Guest ajciani

Given that bigfoots seem to actively avoid humans, and go to considerable efforts to not be seen, even when they approach closer at night, I think it is a foregone conclusion that bigfoots fear us. Heck, they even avoided the Earth friendly native tribes.

They clearly want very little to do with us, and yet at the same time, they seem to have an insatiable, almost voyeuristic need to watch us.

Guest Twilight Fan
They clearly want very little to do with us, and yet at the same time, they seem to have an insatiable, almost voyeuristic need to watch us.

lol, who knew Bigfoot was like some creepy stalker? :o

Guest Sean V

I had to go with No.

I think its more of a case of them just being wary/cautious. If they were afraid of us you would think that the creature's that get sighted would leave the area at the highest rate of speed they could possibily attain, but instead they simply walk off into the forest and disappear from sight.

Guest caoimhin

My point exactly, Sean. Also, they very well may realize that they are by far outnumbered. And, also if they started attacking humans (like some stories claim), it may bring on the "final" hunt. After all, survival is the basest instinct that any living creature has.

I think "fear" is the wrong word. I think they are very "shy" of us. After all -they aren't wearing any clothes ---

But they must have seen the power of our "deer" rifles enough to know to stay away.

I live in an area where there are lots of black bear and even though I have hunted extensively in this area for various game I have never seen a black bear in the wild -unless they were being baited. I think bear can hide just as effectively but as much out of fear as shyness.

I wonder if "leery" might be a better way to describe Sasquatch behavior in regard to humans. I've read couple of books about these creatures and read many 'accounts' of possible encounters and in nearly all these accounts (I can't vouch for credibility), the creature in question simply walks away. I know when I feel frightened or threatened, i tend to run, not walk away. I have spent considerable amount of time in the woods either hiking, camping or fishing (I like small remote lakes or streams where the only access is walking in). I know that I've been followed or observed by Coyotes and Mountain Lion. They didn't run from me, but, they kept their distance. I've seen black bears a few times but never had a direct run-in with one (read my introduction, maybe I did).

I feel like that this walking away behavior is from them already studying you.I mean you have already walked into their woods and now they are going to observe you to see what you are doing.When they had a enough of watching you or the victim they simply break that twig ,get your attention and let you know that "hey I was watching you".They are not scared of us only because they choose who they want to expose themselves too.They do have a brain and they do use it not like regular animals who are routine.I do not believe that thier behavior is protective but more towards a curisity.Copying must be something to them though about us.Well what do i know just my open thoughts.

I think if a polar bear and a gorilla somehow managed to stumble across each other, without knowing what the other was they would most likely avoid each other.

The same could be said for Sasquatch, it's pretty rare for animals in the wild to mix with each other unless they are hunting/hunted or they grow up together. (Ment in terms of say wilderbeast and zebra herds etc)

As far as I can see, bigfoot has as much reason to hang around humans in the woods as it would to hang out with bears, with bears i'm sure bigfoot knows two things 1. They are competition for food. 2. They are or could be willing to put up a decent fight.

Best to just avoid unless there is no other option.

Guest MikeG
......... it's pretty rare for animals in the wild to mix with each other unless they are hunting/hunted or they grow up together. (Ment in terms of say wilderbeast and zebra herds etc)........

I'm not clear on what you are saying here. Wildebeeste and zebra do have mixed herds, all the time, and the plains of Africa are dotted with mixed herds of all sorts of ungulates. Marshes and waterholes see a constant mixing of species. It's just the carnivores in the main who don't do this.

Mike

Edited by MikeG

lol, who knew Bigfoot was like some creepy stalker? :o

Anyone who has interacted with them learns this very quickly.

It's the primary characteristic that defines their behavior toward us from our perspective.

Too often people view any wild creature as universally beautiful, benign, and harmless to humans in this day and age. A lion on the other side of the glass is fascinating, even if it is trying to claw through the glass to get at your kid. A cougar in the suburbs is a problem, and it's not nearly so beautiful when you're looking down its throat because its got its fangs in your head.

Folks who know squatch only from reports keep offering the "They're so elusive that they must fear us, but they seem to have this overwhelming curiosity about us" viewpoint. It leads to the perception that there is some fundamental dichotomy with regard to bigfoot behavior. So afraid of us, but, like children, unable to help themselves. Drawn to us against their better judgement and will. "How do we explain this inconsistency?"

Here's how. The elusiveness and stalking are the behavior of an ambush predator. If one acknowledges that they are predators, the behaviors become consistent, rather than inconsistent. There are plenty of other predators that exhibit exactly this same combination of traits and behaviors. Tigers avoid humans, but are drawn to human communities because of the availability of prey in the form of livestock, and the occasional unwary human.

When is a sasquatch not hungry? When does it have the luxury of simply kicking back and not worrying about where food for the rest of the week is coming from? They're always hungry. They're always looking for food. And that's why they're always around us. We have food. We plant gardens, keep crops, keep livestock, keep pets, attract prey species like deer and rodents, and discard large quantities of edible garbage. All a squatch has to do is watch and wait, then grab the food when no one is watching.

It's been this way ever since we started managing food resources. They've always been out there, ready to steal our kills when our backs are turned, raid our food stores, or swipe our goat. Before that, we were likely their prey when other food was scarce, and the only thing that kept them at bay was the fact that we would band together for mutual protection. At some point we actually started chasing them off when we saw them. This makes it harder to get our food.

So they respect us the same way we respect bees. Individual bees can sting and a hive can be aroused.

So they watch and wait. If they're seen they withdraw and find another place to watch and wait. When the time and circumstances are right, they go for the honey.

And sometimes they eat a bee.

• Upvote 3