The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

^^ No he is not. Did you watch the show even? His opening comments are how he is "irritated" by crypto fans because they say science will not examine their evidence. So he sets out to examine their evidence.  How in the world is that not commenting on the phenomenon. You make it sound like he is some sort of random , drive-thru DNA lab with no connection to the back story involved.  That is not the case at all.  

As I have pointed out elsewhere:   In strict logical terms, the skeptical (and media) take on Sykes is the exact equivalent of me going out to the Great Plains, asking for bison hair, getting pronghorn hair from a few hundred people…and declaring the bison mythical."  DWA

Except you would look pretty foolish declaring that while a bison grazes behind you. Or you know, you could have just went to a zoo and plucked the hair yourself and removed all provenance issues.

Your comparison fails miserably.

Edited by dmaker
  • Upvote 2

Guest spurfoot

@southernyahoo

The decision to test an additional five hairs might have been done at the request of one of the scientific reviewers of Syke's paper.   Perhaps they just wanted to enlarge the population a bit (not likely per se), or more likely, wanted a test of prior DNA results against a new population of specimens.  We can only wait.  Perhaps Sunday, something will be revealed.

Except we know bisons exist, so your comparison only works if we ignore reality.  I can go to a zoo and view a bison. I can look it up online and see plenty of photos and video. Bigfoot? Not so much.  

What you always ignore is that some of us know that Sasquatch exists.

And we don't have to go to a zoo or online to view them.

You need a big hairy PTSD-inducing face-to-face experience.

Which is what people who really understand the subject know is the defining factor of credibility. Nobody who has had a close encounter with these things thinks its fun. It's always absolute terror beyond comprehension.Which makes me believe that somewhere locked in our DNA is the reason for that fear. The Neanderthal Predation theory is the best explanation to date.

@southernyahoo

The decision to test an additional five hairs might have been done at the request of one of the scientific reviewers of Syke's paper.   Perhaps they just wanted to enlarge the population a bit (not likely per se), or more likely, wanted a test of prior DNA results against a new population of specimens.  We can only wait.  Perhaps Sunday, something will be revealed.

It may be that it was a request from a reviewer, or they found something in the morphology which justified including a few more. If they need some with previous testing and provenance, they should know where to find me.

Which is what people who really understand the subject know is the defining factor of credibility. Nobody who has had a close encounter with these things thinks its fun. It's always absolute terror beyond comprehension.Which makes me believe that somewhere locked in our DNA is the reason for that fear. The Neanderthal Predation theory is the best explanation to date.

Spot on.

On the BIGFOOTOLOGY facebook page, they just postet the following article/link:

Headline:

"Scientists Prove Bigfoot Has Lived for 134,000 Years"

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/02/scientists-prove-bigfoot-has-lived-for-134000-years-2570696.html

Now this article is from february, and its about Ketchum! And it is not the complete article, once you redirect, you got to an yahoo error page. Did Ketchum ever mentioned 134000 years? 

Were they hacked?

Edited by Data

^^ No he is not. Did you watch the show even? His opening comments are how he is "irritated" by crypto fans because they say science will not examine their evidence. So he sets out to examine their evidence.  How in the world is that not commenting on the phenomenon. You make it sound like he is some sort of random , drive-thru DNA lab with no connection to the back story involved.  That is not the case at all.  

Wrong.  He does come far closer than he should to saying that two samples account for yeti as bear.  But he never says "yeti = bear and we now have the proof."  So the problem is not what I said or saw.  It's you not understanding what Sykes is doing.  He is reviewing samples presented, and commenting on what they reveal.

As I have pointed out elsewhere:   In strict logical terms, the skeptical (and media) take on Sykes is the exact equivalent of me going out to the Great Plains, asking for bison hair, getting pronghorn hair from a few hundred people…and declaring the bison mythical."  DWA

Except you would look pretty foolish declaring that while a bison grazes behind you. Or you know, you could have just went to a zoo and plucked the hair yourself and removed all provenance issues.

Your comparison fails miserably

Nope, and as I said, you just failed Logic 001.

Read what I wrote (and your two Plus Buddies need to see me after class too).  Carefully this time.

If you honestly think that the logic isn't precisely the same ...well, I'm glad you're not working this beat.  Unfortunately a lot of scientists who would have failed that class too are.

OK, I'm taking pity, and you guys will drop out otherwise.  So here's a hint:

REAL/NOT REAL MYTHICAL/NOT MYTHICAL ISN'T THE ISSUE.

It's taking the word of a bunch of people that they got what you are looking for when they didn't

If you asked a research assistant to bring back rainbow trout and she brought back a catfish, would you presume no trout in that stream?

OK, Algebra 1's starting.  You better get going.

On the BIGFOOTOLOGY facebook page, they just postet the following article/link:

Headline:

"Scientists Prove Bigfoot Has Lived for 134,000 Years"

http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/02/scientists-prove-bigfoot-has-lived-for-134000-years-2570696.html

Now this article is from february, and its about Ketchum! And it is not the complete article, once you redirect, you got to an yahoo error page. Did Ketchum ever mentioned 134000 years? 

Were they hacked?

same for me...and this link is posted on Bigfootology page...

so....

speculate?  The title says 134,000 YBP...perhaps Sykes results for a human BF divergence...and lead in with the MK study in error at 13,000 YBP..haha...who knows? Maybe just a typo.... But, it is odd..... yet, there seemes to be  weird website stuff happenings in BFdom .and alternative news...and mistakes...  so many are unpaid writers/blogs, and many others who can't or don't write or get in the field do seem destructive/hacker/trolls...the unseen internet people...great part is we will  know soon...I must confess watching a pirated youtube of the first episode.

Edited by apehuman

What you always ignore is that some of us know that Sasquatch exists.

And we don't have to go to a zoo or online to view them.

I don't ignore it, I just don't accept it as fact.

• Upvote 1

Guest Llawgoch

It's taking the word of a bunch of people that they got what you are looking for when they didn't

If you asked a research assistant to bring back rainbow trout and she brought back a catfish, would you presume no trout in that stream?

What you're missing, of course, is that Sykes asked for the best evidence people have of Yetis.  This is what was provided to him.  If he asked for the best evidence people have of bison, he wouldn't have been given a few hairs.

If you ignore a lot of inputs you can get whatever you like out of your logic engine.  

Oh, there is something pitiful going on...no doubt about that.

What you're missing, of course, is that Sykes asked for the best evidence people have of Yetis.  This is what was provided to him.  If he asked for the best evidence people have of bison, he wouldn't have been given a few hairs.

If you ignore a lot of inputs you can get whatever you like out of your logic engine.  

Yes, you do.

If THE BEST EVIDENCE THAT PEOPLE - OH, RIGHT, THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO GIVE IT TO YOU - HAVE OF YETIS IS THAT, you get what you get.

Doesn't settle the question, though.

Right?

Standard-issue Science Logic Engine at work.

If you ignore the evidence people's eyes gave them, you ignore the best evidence.  As folks who have read up on this know.

Not slamming Sykes.  He offered to test what people gave him.  Doesn't mean that people are going to give him things that are any good; and to take those things as the up or down on the yeti question ...well, it ain't science, period.

Oh, there is something pitiful going on...no doubt about that.

Then fix it!  Read up on this so we can discuss it!

Edited by DWA

OK, the rest of the class has moved on to calculus. 

I just asked the nation, no THE WORLD EVERYBODY for Little Green Men.  We're gonna prove this intelligent-life thing once and for all!

A year, nothing.

Two years, nothing.

Shut down SETI, right?

Same exact thing.

And any response that focuses on the subject matter....see me after class.  This ISN'T ABOUT the subject matter.  It's about logic and its application to daily life.

Edited by DWA
Remove anti social comment