The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Mudler I have always had the same issue with the Sykes study as you have mentioned above.

mtDNA as I understand it has a fast mutation rate, faster than for nuDNA. Thus it has its uses if we want to learn something about events in the maternal history of the tested material.

So, whilst the mtDNA results might be a very good fit for human, they may not show a perfect fit for contemporary HSS; indeed, they might reasonably show differences which can be commonly traced back to, say ... 15,000 years...

Mudler I have always had the same issue with the Sykes study as you have mentioned above. With that being said I am sure he is privy to MK's mtDNA/ nuDNA leaked information and would surely have to test this scenario as well ,otherwise he would look quite foolish and incompetent if MK's work was repeated down the road and found to be correct.

Also, don't you think a light bulb would go off in regards to the Sierra tissue sample (if a part of of the Sykes study) if the mtDNA profile was determined to be human. First from purely a anatomical perspective, as the picture of the purported sample does not look human at all. Secondly the hair purported is morphologically different from a human hair, it does not add up as human. If I were in his shoes I would definetely go the extra yard and perform nuDNA testing in selected samples.

Let's hope for the best.

Good post, Sykes is very experienced at extraction and determining ancestry on both maternal and paternal lines as part of his service he provides at "Oxford Ancestors" so if he has a repeating result that mirror's Ketchum's then that might bring a final resolution. People have concerns about preconceptions or bias towards the data, but I'm confident that if there was anything non-human or even at the edge of human variation it will either be in her paper, or in a later one.

it does not add up as human
I've said that myself looking at the evidence and digesting the DNA results.

Guest slimwitless

Meldrum posted on Facebook that Sykes hasn't even begun testing. Just FYI.

Edit to add: I think he's going to miss his drop date.

Edited by slimwitless

Guest Particle Noun

And yet BFF member Shaun has written Sykes and received a reply, a week or so ago, that analysis was going well, and that they were testing nuDNA "when appropriate". So, who knows.

BFF Patron

If they are testing nuDNA and can replicate a sample also in Ketchum's and if K's study comes out "soon", a simple confirmation would mean we are on to another topic for awhile because it would be game, set, match for A Novel North American Primate and it's potential Hominid lineage: The mtDNA and nuDNA, Part 1.

Guest BFSleuth

And yet BFF member Shaun has written Sykes and received a reply, a week or so ago, that analysis was going well, and that they were testing nuDNA "when appropriate". So, who knows.

Meldrum also caught Lindsay in one of his little "tall tales", after Lindsay cited Sykes as having confirming results vis a vis Ketchum.

It's amazing what you can find out if you actually ask the people doing the research....

.... kudos to Shaun for his "amazing" effort.... ;)

Ta :-)

With regard to my contacting prof Sykes. He was kind enough to reply. He did say analysis was going well, and NuDNA testing would be used where appropriate. He also said publication wouldn't be this year, so they're obviously behind on their published schedule. As for the reasons, I didn't ask, so it could be anything.

Ta :-)

With regard to my contacting prof Sykes. He was kind enough to reply. He did say analysis was going well, and NuDNA testing would be used where appropriate. He also said publication wouldn't be this year, so they're obviously behind on their published schedule. As for the reasons, I didn't ask, so it could be anything.

Great job Shaun...going right to the horses mouth ! It is also good to know that nuDNA will be initiated if required.

Pretty exciting stuff all !

I don't mean to offend any Melba fans, but she appears to be trying to attach her work to the Sykes study in some way as a last ditch effort to redeem some credibility. So far in the last 24 hours, I've read claims (that supposedly came from her camp) that her team was somehow collaborating with the Sykes study, and now that the Sykes study hasn't even tested samples yet.

I don't understand why folks get so emotionally invested in backing her up. Based on some of the strange things she has claimed in the past, I didn't put any of my eggs in that basket, and so I wasn't disappointed when she crashed and burned. Dr. Sykes has a very impressive resume, and I'm hopeful the results will open some serious dialogue in various scientific communities. Of course, the JREF'ers will immediately ostracize him, if the results don't support their narrow cynical outlook. I'll have a blast over there watching them eat some crow if the results support what many folks here suspect / know. Don't forget, the worlds (supposedly) greatest minds once insisted that the Earth was flat.

BFF Patron
I don't mean to offend any Melba fans, but she appears......

Appearances can be deceiving, lol.

I don't mean to offend any Melba fans, but she appears to be trying to attach her work to the Sykes study in some way as a last ditch effort to redeem some credibility. So far in the last 24 hours ...

Is there a quote, a source, within the last week even?

Edited by Oonjerah