The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

"Change our understanding of human history", he says? Well, let me just note, it will change the understanding of human history much more for some than for some others, eh?

^^ What if by that he meant something completely unrelated to cryptids? I saw it mentioned elsewhere that what if Sykes is referring to something like evidence of European DNA in North America 10, 000 years ago or something. ( not reporting that as fact, just supposition) That would certainly qualify as changing our understanding of human history, yet still have zippitty doo dah to do with Bigfoot. 

I would be holding back on all the cheer leading just yet. Every time something like this happens, everyone gets all excited and then nothing but disappointment. For all you know his book may be about while looking for evidence of cryptids ( which I found none) I did, however, happen upon this history changing bit of DNA.  

I'd relax if I was a Footer right now.  

Edited by dmaker

I draw no hard conclusions from Dr. Sykes' comments, really. But, he obviously has something he wants to share with us unless this is merely puffing to sell books on the part of his publisher. You might recall though that Sykes tested an alleged Yeti hair w/follicle DNA found in a hollow tree in Bhutan a number of years ago. He said, "We expected Bear. It wasn't Bear." He stated the DNA was unknown and behaved like nothing he had ever seen. As far as I know, he was never able to make a match. With that experience under his belt, I'm betting he is selling steak, not the sizzle. (Sorry for the pun...couldn't resist). 

Edited by WSA

dmaker -

This time I agree with you, I would not be too sure this has anything to do with bigfoot.   Given that he's gotten samples from outside the US, erhaps he's found evidence of Neandertals / erectus / etc either still alive or lasting much nearer present times than we accept.   We have 2% Neandertal DNA on average, maybe he found a sample that's 50%.

On the other hand, while I'd agree "I'd relax if I was a Footer right now", I'd add, "I'd relax and stop trying to get a head start on moving the goalposts."   Not that I'm directing that at anyone in particular ... "much."  :)

I know everyone is bored.  Tired of waiting.   Lot of people with scores to settle that want to use this to club each other even before whatever it i Sykes seems to be going to show us is proven.   Its a good time to control such urges, just wait and see, and let what will be ... be.

MIB

WSA, I believe a match was made subsequent to what you are describing and it was bear. I'll have to find a link when I have a moment.

MIB, I hope your goalpost comment was not aimed at me. I'm doing nothing of the sort. I am simply saying that yes it seems he has something he deems important, I'm just saying it might have nothing to do with Bigfoot.

Edited by dmaker

Guest OntarioSquatch

he might not have discovered the Yeti/Bigfoot, but I find this part very interesting: 

"Professor Sykes is a world authority on genetics and what he has to say about Yetis will shock the world."

Ugh

I feel like the Yeti is one of the cryptids withthe weakest case for being real.

Perhaps "Yeti" has become his catch-all descriptor for all things BF? And I have to think that if one domino begins to fall, they all do. (Yeti is real thus big foot is real thus skunk apes are real, etc) And if only "Yeti" is brought out into the daylight, suddenly the world accepts that BF can't be far behind.

Edited by Gotta Know

Probably going for a more international audience.  A lot of other countries view Americans as self-absorbed and oblivious to other cultural perspectives. 

Leading with Bigfoot; a relatively late, and distinctly American, entry into the hairy hominid pantheon; as a means to address a worldwide issue isn't the best way to introduce a potential breakthrough that could result in international acclaim, and put him in the running for a Nobel prize.

Skeptics are going to jump on the Nobel comment, but if they look at it OBJECTIVELY, they have to admit that someone who manages to prove, using accepted scientific protocols, the existence of a species of reclusive hominids is going to be recognized.

Sykes isn't the first American to approach bigfoot from an expatriot perspective.  Sanderson also did so, leading with "Abominable Snowmen" (ABSMs) as a broad definition for such hominids worldwide.

Edited by JDL
  • Upvote 1

link us to an example of one artifact please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphinx_water_erosion_hypothesis

The wiki page provides very reasonable alternate ideas from qualified scientists for what it's worth.

You know by definition I can not link you to anything that you will accept. I do how ever have something to offer that shows science intentionally was dishonest with the public. Let's see how honest you are about this. Here is "proof" that can not be explained away that NASA and the JPL have released information that was misleading at best. Intentionally to the public . I think this page offers proof for articiality on Mars. That is debatable. The misleading information is not. Intentional lies proven right here . http://metaresearch.org/solar%20system/cydonia/proof_files/proof.asp

JDL..Sykes is an ex-pat American? Didn't know that. An accent is not nationality, I realize, but he prattles the Queens' when I've heard him speak. Well, I guess, so does Madonna.

Dmaker...I just like to make W.A.G.'s on this subject. One I've considered is Sykes has matched pre-historic non-H.Sapien DNA with historic DNA. Now wouldn't that blow all of our minds?  The much publicized and recent "bear hair" I think is from his current study, and a different sample than the one he tested and was interviewed about on Nat Geo about about 10 years ago? He has been interested in this field for quite some while.

Guest Darrell

Sykes isn't the first American to approach bigfoot from an expatriot perspective.  Sanderson also did so, leading with "Abominable Snowmen" (ABSMs) as a broad definition for such hominids worldwide.

Both Sykes and Sanderson are British citizens. Sykes does not reside in the US and even though Sanderson did, I dont think he ever obtained US citizenship.

Now maybe this is a skepitical way of looking at this, but even if Sykes can make a case for the existance of the Yeti or bigfoot, that doesnt mean that everything ever attributed to bigfoot and every sighting claimed to be bigfoot actually were.

Regarding the Booksellers.com article. I think the more amazing statement is:

"An author who is both world-leader in his subject, and can also tell a good story, is as rare as the Yeti"

Well they arent the expert but, they should know the outcome of the book. To say a Yeti is rare, is saying that it exists. Specially if you compare it to Sykes, who exists without any doubt. "People like Sykes are as rare as the yeti", in this context seems to be telling to much to just be an empty phrase. 

We will see...

Both Sykes and Sanderson are British citizens. Sykes does not reside in the US and even though Sanderson did, I dont think he ever obtained US citizenship.

Now maybe this is a skepitical way of looking at this, but even if Sykes can make a case for the existance of the Yeti or bigfoot, that doesnt mean that everything ever attributed to bigfoot and every sighting claimed to be bigfoot actually were.

I stand corrected on Sykes.  I thought he was American with UK origins. 

Reading your second paragraph reminds me of a lawyer preparing a contingency argument designed to delay an adverse decision.