The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Wait, so large undocumented mammals CAN still be alive today in the world?

IMPOSSIBLE!

Also, if a species like this, living in what most would consider an inhospitable environment, living undocumented for 40,000+ years, what does that say about other bipedal hominids that have lived at that time?  Could it be that a smarter 'animal' could be even harder to discover, living in equally 'inhospitable' environments?

What "other bipedal hominids"?  It's a bear.

other bipedal hominids that have been shown to live in the same timeframe.

(we, as humans, are also bipedal hominids)

Or if you like, just omit the word 'other', I didn't appropriately imply that it mean other hominids besides humans.

All the Sykes study reveals at this point is that other animals, even very large animals, exist in the present world, many of which have been thought extinct. That is exactly what this proves, and nothing more. I am encouraged that an undiscovered specie of bear could exist, however, this alone would not completely rule out a primate with a completely different set of foot prints to also exist, and confusion over which animal seen or heard to exist. I would like to hear Jeff Meldrum's take on this discovery, I think it is amazing, nothing short of astounding. Just because the hair from those two samples pointed to an unknown bear, does not mean all supposed Yeti hairs are bear. Obviously we are not picking them right off of Patty, so we will gather a lot of other hair, and possibly some actual Squatch hair. That is the case, almost anything else out there will have a stronger representation than a Sasquatch. I am eager to hear the rest of this story, as I feel we are in for some more surprises. Usually you save the best for last so to speak. So I hope to hear more interesting information derived from his study, but this first revelation is really quite a discovery!

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

Y'all are getting worked up over not only the teaser release, but the "teaser to the teaser" release. Take a breath would be my advice, and wait until you have something worth discussing. That Sykes' producer and other handlers are capable of doing this to build anticipation is somewhat dissapointing (way too much of this in this field, in my opinion) but it is hardly opaque either. C'mon.    

The elusive Abominable Snow Bear, give it some respect. If it is a mixture of Polar Bear and Brown Bear how the hell is it only 5 feet tall on its hind legs, a Polar bear can stand as much as 18 feet tall. I think the Lausanne Museum has a stuffed version of what we are talking about, seen them showing pics of it. Does not seem to fit the foot print profile of the original discoveries that showed the divergent big toe, Me thinks we have a wanna be cryto bear. I am sorry, but this guy does not have the guns, or the barrel chest, of his North American Squatch Bear competitor. Our guy stands taller, has lifted more weights, and really needs some strong deodorant. This imposter is a little to clean cut to fit the bill.

Edited by Lake County Bigfooot

I really don't understand everyone right now. Sykes has always been very secretive about his findings, and he hasn't ever mentioned, not once, about his findings of Bigfoot/Yeti from North America. There has got to be a reason why he is so deep in wit Bigfootology and why he CAME ALL THE WAY DOWN TO WASHINGTON for something...

I have a feeling that the Yeti finding is sort of a small discovery that he's fine with leaking and he's saving the big surprise, the Bigfoot/Sasquatch findings, for later.

Then again, I could be wrong and all hope is lost.

I think, this isnt a small discovery at all.  

By the standards of TV series, its much better to start with something of impact, then just a sideshow. After all, now all people who are interessted are wanting to see the next episode and will watch the first one sooner or later anyway. If the second show will turn out nothing, viewers will most likely give the show one more chance and watch episode 3, if nothing happens there people will quit the "just another monsterquest", but hey, then the producers already got their viewers. Mission accomplished.

Who would just watch one more "nothing found, same old stories again" kind of show? If viewers wouldnt have hooked up with the characters of Finding Bigfoot the show would long be gone. The people are really watching "Matt, Cliff and Bobos conflict with Rene".  

Its easy to see if you look on it from the other side. If BF is proven by DNA to be ape, it would be a perfect first episode, specially if you first present the results in the news, like now. Viewers would afterwards happely watch the second episode "proof" the Yeti to be "extinct bear" and would like the series even better. 

Would like to be wrong in this case though.

"All the Sykes study reveals at this point is that other animals, even very large animals, exist in the present world, many of which have been thought extinct."

This, in my mind is significant, hence my earlier comment.  It has been shown that other hominids have been alive within 40k years.  This opens the door for a more accepting view of the possibility that some of these 'extinct' hominids could still be living in niches.

What he has are two sets of hair samples from locations 800 miles apart, that seem to indicate an unknown polar/brown bear hybrid living across the Himalayan range. Those samples show that the creatures, due to the distances we can be faily sure they're creatures and not a single animal, have existed up to at least 10 years ago and probably were around 40 years back. Both those are within recent memory. What is does not show is that what is described as the Yeti in legand is actually this creature. It may be something else completely. That the hairs are genetically identical to ancient polar bears raises another point. Does this make the existence of other cryptids such as the Orang Pendek more likely, or perhaps surviving examples of extinct species like the Thylacine?

Guest Darrell

Well it just suggests there may be a bear hybrid living some where in the Himalayas. not a bear/human hybrid. Not a bi-pedal homonid. A bear.

Guest Darrell

Per Sykes:

"I don't think it means there are ancient polar bears wandering around the Himalayas. But... it could mean there is a sub-species of brown bear in the High Himalayas descended from the bear that was the ancestor of the polar bear.

"Or it could mean there has been more recent hybridisation between the brown bear and the descendent of the ancient polar bear."

Guest Stan Norton

This news today raises a number of very interesting points:

Firstly, this is simply fascinating news – that a ‘new’ species/subspecies of bear could have remained undetected by science is big news. It raises very interesting questions in respect to bear evolution and taxonomy and, if proven correct, will add to our sum knowledge of the Himalayan ecosystem, a real biodiversity hotspot.

Secondly, it puts paid to the ‘sceptic’s’ (or perhaps more correctly the BFF contrarian sceptic’s) assertion that the idea of a horse-sized creature (as a bear it is likely to be fairly sizeable) remaining undiscovered by the omnipotent force of modern ‘science’ is bunkum – that notion is, self-evidently, incorrect. People have been hunting, fishing, climbing, exploring etc throughout the Himalayan system for far longer and in greater numbers than they have in North America and yet we have a scenario where all these people have failed to bring in a body for study or secure a photo (Sykes had several hairs) – this says much about the situation with Sasquatch and even more about the ‘sceptical’ ‘it just stands to reason’ type of argument.

Thirdly I should say that Professor Sykes has ‘simply’ proved that two of the limited number of samples he tested match a species from antiquity – it does not actually prove one way or t’other whether the Yeti is an ape or a bear. It does however add weight to the oft-dismissed value of eyewitness accounts and local folklore. How often have we heard that these kinds of evidence are useless? Well, it seems as though they may not be so ridiculous after all – those stupid peasant folks, yak herders and crazed, oxygen-starved mountaineers may just have been telling the truth all along: they did see something out of the ordinary. Or maybe Sykes is also on drugs/drunk/stupid/misguided/mistaken/hallucinating...

The media reaction has been interesting too. You would imagine (and this is a favourite sceptical  line when talking about Sasquatch) that the news of a novel large mammal such as an ancient alpine bear (or ape) roaming the howling wastes of the world's biggest mountains would be primetime big news. But nope. The news is widespread but its way, way down the list. The BBC has it in its Asia section online - its not even in the science/environment section. Similarly, even Channel 4 news (who are showing the Bigfoot Files show) has it hidden away. Do you think that this situation would have been any different if the results were primate? Doubt it. It's been treated as an end-of-show 'and-now-for-something-unusual' story all day.

Although I’m a little disappointed that no ‘unknown primate’ results appear to have come back from this study, I have to admit that the thought of a large, high-altitude bear, possibly bipedal, scares the pants off me – it’s creepier than an alpine ape! Its appearance must be truly odd for seasoned mountain men to describe it as something strange and fearful – does it have much-reduced ears and snout as other alpine species? Is it habitually bipedal and how does its physiology differ from other bears? Is it more aggressive than congeners? Fascinating questions to answer…

Overall, I consider this to be a good day for proponents of Bigfoot/Sasquatch – it shows that there are ‘new’ things under the sun and that if the Himalayas can harbour a weird bear, then it may not be so fanciful for the vast boreal forests and coastal pinewoods of NA to support something equally as strange.