The Sykes / Sartori Report - Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project

Guest gershake

Guest TexasTracker

Llogoch....

When "another" migrated out of Africa 1000s, if not 10,000s of years prior to our migration, that will be, at the very least a sub-species (this is exactly what Neandertal did too). He did not go into this in any detail. I'm sure there is MUCH more to be said about this than what was covered on this special. 

I won't argue the point. I'll have to just wait until the paper comes out. 

I's also love to know what the folks in Germany (MP Institute) think of all this and if they are working to confirm any of it?

Have a nice day,

CG

The contract with Sykes and Icon films for doing the show was for only 12 specimens to be revealed.... not sure how they decided which 12, but I feel they would not reveal something that would need to go through peer review first.

I'm hoping the best is yet to come.

Something else ... it seemed that whenever they were specific about DNA, it was mtDNA that was mentioned.    There's plenty of room in that paper that's supposed to be coming for all sorts of unusual nuDNA results.  

MIB

I just saw the Nat. Geo. episode.   Zana's mitochrondrial DNA, of course, showed up in Kwit and was sub-Saharan African of unknown antiquity.  Of course, sub-Saharan Africans are not hairy.   So, the ancient lineage makes some sense.  

I would not have thought Kwit would have a sub-saharan maternal lineage, but it does make some sense concerning Zana and how she was perceived to be different. The door was definately left open as to how early her line left africa.

More interesting is that the results of the autosomal analysis of the Kwit DNA was not reported.   Presumably that will be reported in the final published paper.  It seems likely to me that the autosomal analysis will almost certainly hold some surprises not yet reported, including lineage antiquity and possible relationship to extant African tribes.  

It was unclear whether all of the American origin putative Bigfoot hair specimens were reported.   Additional surprises might be in store.  Also, the Lausanne custody specimens were not reported, so, more surprises might be forthcoming.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the autosomal results, but the Y chromosome is likely a european line. Kwit's complexion in the black and white photo looked rather fair.

No, it does not.  It shows that Zana was an African.  They mentioned a tiny, wild possibility that she might be some kind of undiscovered earlier migration of homo sapiens.  Nowhere was another homo species even mooted,and the earlier migration stuff was acknowledged to be wild speculation with no evidence to support it.

They also said that if it is true, that the Almasty legend would have been right all along, about a surviving group of hominids, living in the wilds of Russia, like thousands of eyewitnesses have described.

I would like to add that I have never believed that the Almasty are the same as Bigfoot/Sasquatch.  The video taken by the three kids in Nat. Geo episode did however show a typical BF hunched over posture.  That is not typical of Almasty as far as I know.

Also, there are not bears in Australia that I know of.  Correct me if I'm wrong.   Any hair specimens collected there are therefore unlikely to show bear origin.

I wish they would have taken some DNA samples of that ex-boxer turned politician who told the boys not to swear any more. Wow!

An interesting DNA related article came from Nature this morning....

"Genome analysis suggests interbreeding between modern humans, Neanderthals, Denisovans and a mysterious archaic population."

The meeting was abuzz with conjecture about the identity of this potentially new population of humans. “We don’t have the faintest idea,” says Chris Stringer, a paleoanthropologist at the London Natural History Museum, who was not involved in the work. He speculates that the population could be related to Homo heidelbergensis, a species that left Africa around half a million years ago and later gave rise to Neanderthals in Europe."

DNA is teaching us things about ourselves and causing questions to be raised that will need to be answered by someone!

They suggest that interbreeding went on between the members of several ancient human-like groups living in Europe and Asia more than 30,000 years ago, including an as-yet unknown human ancestor from Asia.

^ I'd say it's time to check out the DNA from the Red Deer cave people, and see if this mystery hominin from Asia lived on for another 15,000 years.

• Upvote 1

Guest Llawgoch

I'm curious about Zana's nuDNA, I wonder if she could have been hybrid?

No.  She was an African.  A modern African.  Without any other evidence of which there is currently none, to say different, this is what you have to assume.

Really, this is soul destroying.  You are all clutching at one throw-away flight of fancy and ignoring the solid evidence.

• Upvote 1

Llawgoch, How could you possibly know what her nuDNA said? "Without evidence we must assume what I think" is a bit presumptious, no? Without Zana's nuDNA, there is no "solid evidence" of her father's lineage.