Bigfoot Research – Still No Evidence, But Plenty Of Excuses To Explain Why There’S No Evidence

^^^^Uh oh! You introduced beer! You know that invalidates all sightings of anything, including beer bottles, right?

Beer. NOT A HALLUCINOGEN. You saw a bigfoot on two beers, you saw a bigfoot.

Misidentification is simply not a likely possibility for pretty much every sighting I have read of. There are only three possibilities: crazy drugs (or damaged brain, and if you were driving or hunting, you killed someone that day); **** flat lie...or what the witness says they saw.

To believe that misidentification or hallucination is a major factor in bigfoot encounters signals a desperate need to believe no diiferent from the saucer-people proponents.

Edited by DWA

You can't say the evidence is a crock just because there isn't proof.

No, but you can say, and you should, that this evidence you keep banging on about is provisional. If we found out today that bigfoot was in fact a real thing, then some of the things you consider to be evidence of bigfoot will most likely have been evidence of bigfoot. If there's no such thing as bigfoot, then nothing you currently consider to be evidence of bigfoot actually is evidence of bigfoot.

If you can't handle that nuanced position, then perhaps it's because you've already decided that there is a bigfoot simply because there is a lot of purported evidence for it. If so, you're confounding the alleged quantity of evidence with the quality of evidence. We don't need - and we can't prove - bigfoot with 10,000 claims of people saying they've seen one. But if you had just a single tooth, that'd do it.

It's OK DWA - we were both from Wisconsin. We're exempt from the "beer clause".

:-)

This particular fella didn't even want to discuss the sighting with me. He wasn't taken seriously at the time and pretty much been ridiculed for telling the story.

He was 17 years old, and this was the way he walked home from the school bus drop off. After this incident, he was able to talk the bus driver into taking him to his house (not the country corner he dropped the other kids off at).

No, but you can say, and you should, that this evidence you keep banging on about is provisional. If we found out today that bigfoot was in fact a real thing, then some of the things you consider to be evidence of bigfoot will most likely have been evidence of bigfoot. If there's no such thing as bigfoot, then nothing you currently consider to be evidence of bigfoot actually is evidence of bigfoot.

If you can't handle that nuanced position, then perhaps it's because you've already decided that there is a bigfoot simply because there is a lot of purported evidence for it. If so, you're confounding the alleged quantity of evidence with the quality of evidence. We don't need - and we can't prove - bigfoot with 10,000 claims of people saying they've seen one. But if you had just a single tooth, that'd do it.

THIS IS MY NUANCED POSITION. You just get it wrong in your second paragraph.

We know nothing about the quality of the evidence if we sit on our hands and don't follow it up. The evidence says: look here and you'll find what was seen here. And I have said how this is done, many times; Operation Persistence is doing it, and no one here has an answer for that other than, no proof yet. Took Jane Goodall a while to teach us 90% of what we know about chimps, too.

No look, no conclusions, of any kind, about the evidence. Other than: Nothing else that remains unconfirmed shows anything near this compelling.

(And "if there's no such thing as bigfoot" kinda puts your bias before the horse. Whoops, I meant the cart. I think...)

Edited by DWA

Cotter: I know what you mean. Personally I find reports from LEOs (Law Enforcement Officer) to be some of the most compelling since they are trained to notice details and we can usually rely on their alertness and sobriety. But even then, no one is above a playful hoax or a playful mind showing them something that is not there. But like I said, there a lot of reports from LEOs out there and that is one of the things that does make me pause, but is still not enough to convince me.

I wonder if some of the misidentifying isn't bears and such, but humans. I hike a fair bit and last March I wandered off the beaten track a bit, fell/slid down a fairly deep ravine ( wasn't hurt ) and ended up taking a long time to wander around make my way back to the main trail. On my way back I stumbled into what must have been the "valley of the hobos". I saw two fairly impressive permanent shelters that were obviously live in. They had stove pipes for indoor heating, plywood walls, thick tarp roof, nicely leveled out area of the forest floor, close to the river, etc. These were some serious hobo shacks meant to withstand the Canadian winter. I hightailed it back in the opposite direction pretty quickly. The reason I mention that is that I think a human skulking around in the woods not wanting to be seen would be a prime suspect for a BF misidentification, don't you think?

It's OK DWA - we were both from Wisconsin. We're exempt from the "beer clause".

:-)

This particular fella didn't even want to discuss the sighting with me. He wasn't taken seriously at the time and pretty much been ridiculed for telling the story.

He was 17 years old, and this was the way he walked home from the school bus drop off. After this incident, he was able to talk the bus driver into taking him to his house (not the country corner he dropped the other kids off at).

And no one has any idea how something remains unconfirmed that you have to pump beer into a guy to get him to even talk about it. Doesn't make one wonder about people at all, does it.

One similarly under-studied phenomenon is that of "ASMR". There are hundreds or thousands of youtube videos devoted to it and many followers around the world, but very little if any scientific investigation of it. There must be evidence to be found (analyses of brain activity during an occurrence) other than the thousands of testimonials, but without professional insight, those who experience it are left to wonder.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here experience this, and if so, have you ever researched it/discussed it with anyone? For some reason, experiencers of ASMR view it much like bigfoot eyewitnesses in that it's taboo to discuss with anyone other than fellow witnesses. There's nothing wrong with the phenomenon itself, but because they're not likely to be believed, most stay silent.

dmaker....Of course the possibility of misidentifying a human always has to be considered. But good news on this point! The person who sees an unidentified bi-pedal figure always, always, always does not start out thinking, "Hmmm....there's a BF." When you read the database, you'll read this hundreds of times, or some variant of it, "The first thought that crossed my mind was, what is that large naked hairy person doing walking across _______. " Hardly the thoughts of somebody who has jumped to an extremely unlikely conclusion. Quite the contrary.

We are extremely well adapted to recognize other humans. Heck, we see them even when they are not there. We are not adapted to spotting and recognizing BF, and that is why the realization comes as quite a jolt when it hits that we are not, in fact, seeing one of "us."

@dmaker - agreed.

The sighting I debunked earlier this year involved a camo-clad human lurking in the ditches - not wanting to be seen.....no doubt in my mind that there are TONS of mid-ID's out there (human/bear/etc).

But it's those that don't fit into that category that interest me enough to follow and participate in a forum like this.

@DWA - agreed - with the resistance met when discussing such an encounter - I sure wouldn't want to come forward and admit I saw one (if I did, but I haven't).

...unless of course one is operating with that critical "bigfoot skeptic" delusion: The Impossibility of Bigfoot Delusion.

It's the only way to explain a lot of stuff I am reading here and have been reading time out of mind.

See, Bigfoot Is Impossible! (a 10 on an impossibility scale of 10)

That means that ANYTHING THAT OFFERS AN ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATION MUST BE A NINE OR LESS, AND THEREFORE MORE PLAUSIBLE.

(I'm only explaining how their minds work, don't come crying to me.)

Now the "bigfoot skeptics" start making sense. Well, no, but you know...because you still have to deal with my two bright red and blue signatures down there...

Edited by DWA

...unless of course one is operating with that critical "bigfoot skeptic" delusion: The Impossibility of Bigfoot Delusion.

It's the only way to explain a lot of stuff I am reading here and have been reading time out of mind.

See, Bigfoot Is Impossible! (a 10 on an impossibility scale of 10)

That means that ANYTHING THAT OFFERS AN ALTERNATIVE EXPLANATION MUST BE A NINE OR LESS, AND THEREFORE MORE PLAUSIBLE.

(I'm only explaining how their minds work, don't come crying to me.)

Now the "bigfoot skeptics" start making sense. Well, no, but you know...because you still have to deal with my two bright red and blue signatures down there...

I don't have to deal with anything. I thought I asked a Bigfoot to come and eat you. ....stupid Bigfoots, never there when you need them. :)

I've never sighted a BF, but I for sure have had an ASMR experience, two of them in fact.

In all my time years of hiking, often alone and in remote areas for multiple days, I've only had this experience once: On Hogback Mtn, Augusta County, VA, a place I know well, and where I feel very comfortable, and there was no objective source or cause for it. One minute you are hiking along, lost in a daydream of whatever, and suddenly ever nerve in you body is on red alert. The only prudent course is to retreat out of there, as fast as you can, and I did.

The second time I had sent my young children off on their bikes to play at the local playground. I have a reputation of being very nonchalant about those kinds of things, and I didn't think twice about it. I was on the tractor mowing, wearing ear pro, when it hit my like a bolt that they were in trouble and I needed to get to them NOW! Again, the only prudent course was to get to them fast, and I did. I heard the sirens for the first time as I was peddaling on my bike to get them. I caught up to them about a 1/4 mile away where they were both sitting on the sidewalk crying after participating in a rather large bike/scooter crack up at the playground. (The sirens were for others, not them, but everyone came out fine). My son asked me as soon as he saw me, "Dad, how did you know we needed you?" Indeed. I have never, ever had that feeling before or since, let alone acted on it.

Oh yeah, it is real.

I've never sighted a BF, but I for sure have had an ASMR experience, two of them in fact.

In all my time years of hiking, often alone and in remote areas for multiple days, I've only had this experience once: On Hogback Mtn, Augusta County, VA, a place I know well, and where I feel very comfortable, and there was no objective source or cause for it. One minute you are hiking along, lost in a daydream of whatever, and suddenly ever nerve in you body is on red alert. The only prudent course is to retreat out of there, as fast as you can, and I did.

The second time I had sent my young children off on their bikes to play at the local playground. I have a reputation of being very nonchalant about those kinds of things, and I didn't think twice about it. I was on the tractor mowing, wearing ear pro, when it hit my like a bolt that they were in trouble and I needed to get to them NOW! Again, the only prudent course was to get to them fast, and I did. I heard the sirens for the first time as I was peddaling on my bike to get them. I caught up to them about a 1/4 mile away where they were both sitting on the sidewalk crying after participating in a rather large bike/scooter crack up at the playground. (The sirens were for others, not them, but everyone came out fine). My son asked me as soon as he saw me, "Dad, how did you know we needed you?" Indeed. I have never, ever had that feeling before or since, let alone acted on it.

Oh yeah, it is real.

I find this interesting, the part about the overwhelming feeling of dread. This is common to so many reports ( as anyone here already knows of course). Do you personally feel that Bigfoots are the friendly, friends of the forest type, or are you more the it's an 800 lb frickin killing machine and I need to be very wary type? I find this aura of dread that seems to project around most BFs to very incongruent with the shy, reclusive, friendly giant image that is often associated with BF.

No look, no conclusions, of any kind, about the evidence.

I agree with that. That's why no one outside of the Vu Quang knew what a saola was until the Clinton Administration.

Where you go off the rails is with your steadfast clinging to the ridiculous notion that no one has looked.

Guest toejam

Hmm, all this misidentification talk makes me wonder how many sasquatch have been misidentified as bears because people's minds dont register what they're looking at and they call it a bear.

I was 12 when I was walking up a lonely country road in the Pembroke area of Ontario one weekend. My family was staying at a chalet for the weekend. I got dropped off down the road by a river to do some fishing. I was alone. On my walk back around dusk, I saw up ahead at the side of the road something large and light brown in colour. It wasn't a deer or moose. I got a feeling of fear run through me that I've never felt before or since.

I ran back to the campground by the river where I was fishing, going up to a fire pit where some strangers were sitting around their campfire. I can still see the looks on their faces. I was white as a ghost.

I could barely speak. My mouth was pouted and I couldn't talk. I finally got the words out that I needed help. I was freak'n terrified.

I got a ride back up the road and showed them the spot where I saw the "bear". I got dropped off and when my parents saw me I was still white as a ghost. They still remember that day because of how terrified I was and how pale I looked. I can't remember what it looked like other than the light brown colour, that is was large and it turned and walked into the forest at the side of the road when I saw it.

All these years I thought it was a bear. Now that I KNOW sasquatch exist, It's very possible I may have seen something else. Obviously I'll never know the truth but it was a very scary moment that I'll never forget.

I didn't even realize after all these years that the bears hear are black. Sure there's the odd brown black bear, I don't discount that. It just makes me wonder how many other people may have misidentified sasquatch as a bear.