Operation Persistence

^^ Oddly enough WSA, that is exactly why I am here. I can't explain why adults would choose to believe in Bigfoot. I'm curious to see why.

^well dmaker, it makes it kind of tough to not believe in something you've witnessed with your own eyes.

And we have lots of members with that little bit of knowledge they can draw upon.

Guest JoelS

^^ Oddly enough WSA, that is exactly why I am here. I can't explain why adults would choose to believe in Bigfoot. I'm curious to see why.

Granted, I'm new here.  I have, however, read a lot of the threads in the past week or two.  To be hones, I was wondering why you even participate here if you are so convinced they aren't real.  This does answer that question.

For me, it's no longer a matter of belief.  I don't believe in BF any more than I believe in dogs.  At this point, I just accept it. 

^well dmaker, it makes it kind of tough to not believe in something you've witnessed with your own eyes.

And we have lots of members with that little bit of knowledge they can draw upon.

I understand that completely Cotter. Which is why I look at peoples profiles to see how they answer the encounter question. For those that say No, yet are some of the most rigid believers, they are the ones that fascinate me the most. 

Like JoelS, for example, right above here. He says he just accepts BF like he would a dog. That's a pretty open acceptance and I would be curious why he would do that when he has never even seen a Bigfoot--at least according to his profile. Barring a personal experience I cannot imagine why someone would buy into the myth.

I see...but I'm not going to comment as this thread is already WAY off-topic.

But I see your point, and there are indeed reasons.

Does anyone know how many acres area X is?  (alledgedly)

dmaker, on 10 May 2013 - 3:28 PM, said:

Really and truly? I'll take your word on that, but I've not seen much of it. I mean, at this point you must have taken a good hard look at all available evidence, and unless I'm misunderstanding you, you've counted all of it for "zip." The answer to your central motivating question should be obvious now. You're not, ever, going to get what you want here. You either don't accept that message, or you truly enjoy being the yappy dog who barks "hallucination", "hoaxers", "no proof" over and over. Moreover, when others try to explain what they do find compelling in their own analysis/experience, you condescend to them. I'm not saying you set out to do that, only that this is the inevitable result. (Note too your referral to these individuals as "adults." As opposed to....?)

We all know the rules of this forum, and all are free to post if they abide by the rules, but I'm left scratching my head to wonder, as usual, what really motivates a guy like you to keep up this effort. I have no doubt you are a completely likeable guy who flosses between meals and salutes the flag when it passes. So why then do you, really, persist in a Quixotic task that only annoys those wanting to indulge their curiosity? Would you consider bringing something to the party besides a wet blanket?

• Upvote 1

Guest JoelS
<snip>

Like JoelS, for example, right above here. He says he just accepts BF like he would a dog. That's a pretty open acceptance and I would be curious why he would do that when he has never even seen a Bigfoot--at least according to his profile. Barring a personal experience I cannot imagine why someone would buy into the myth.

It's the only explanation I could come up with for things I've heard and found in the past while camping. My experiences parallel many reports that I've read. While I haven't seen one, and would really like to, at this point I just accept it. 

My son just returned from a week up in the high Sierra's.  He was woken early one morning (about 4am he said) by tree knocks.  He has no other explanation for that.  He said he didn't see anything unusual, just heard it.

Aside from that, there is a preponderance of sighting reports.  While some of these, perhaps many, may be misidentifications or misinterpretations, there are too many for me to just dismiss out of hand.  I also find the PG film very compelling, along with Bill Munn's report and body measurement data taken from the film.  Many animals that have been recently discovered by science (Bonobo as an example) were known about by the locals for generations.

That said, we all have our biases and preconceived notions.  You seem to want much more compelling evidence before you'll be willing to accept that they exist.  I'm neither saying that's good nor bad.  It just is.  Whether or not that evidence will ever be forthcoming is an unknown.

I'm not so sure I want to see that "magic" bit of evidence that can't be denied come out.  I think the behaviour of homo sapiens post scientific discovery would be detrimental to them as a species.

I'm not sure that the answer to my central question has been answered. In fact, I am quite sure that a lot of people here that are some of the more rigid, fingers in ears, believers have never seen a Bigfoot nor have they looked at evidence beyond Finding Bigfoot.  I don't understand why people like that would buy into the myth so strongly. It seems to me that anyone that has spent more than a passing moment truly examining this phenomenon would not arrive at that conclusion. To me %90 of the threads here should be in the Campfire tales section, because that is all BF is.   So I read threads because watching Footers is kind of fascinating. My problem is in my lack of ability to not engage. Instead of yelling at the TV when Bobo says something ridiculous, I can now respond to similar things in this forum.  But l agree with you, I'll happily stand down. Let this thread get back on topic, and I'll keep my pesky skepticism out of this thread and all others.  

I am quite sure that a lot of people here that are some of the more rigid, fingers in ears, believers have never seen a Bigfoot nor have they looked at evidence beyond Finding Bigfoot.  I don't understand why people like that would buy into the myth so strongly. It seems to me that anyone that has spent more than a passing moment truly examining this phenomenon would not arrive at that conclusion.  Instead of yelling at the TV when Bobo says something ridiculous, I can now respond to similar things in this forum.  But l agree with you, I'll happily stand down. Let this thread get back on topic, and I'll keep my pesky skepticism out of this thread and all others.  

BF is not a myth. I saw two in unambiguous circumstances, that is to say close up in good lighting. There are others here who have had other forms of interaction such that they have moved from being 'believers' to 'knowers' There is a huge difference.

To skeptics I am sure that difference might be hard to sort out. And Bobo (IMO) says ridiculous things all the time. I'm pretty sure the show is about ratings and that it would not do if they actually found something... I yell at the TV too :)

Edited by salubrious

Where is Bipto?  Has not logged in for 4-5 days... I wonder... :)

Sorry, I was "indisposed" as they say. Just catching up.

The Science I know, and the people in it, are about finding answers to questions.  Even far-out questions and impossibilities – that doesn’t make them incompetent.  How is looking for answers or truth ever a waste of time?

Love.

Regarding Big B's observations and concerns, all I can do is reference my previous comments on the matter of safety. We have *not* taken more shots than we have all due to an overabundance of concern about what we were shooting at. If we can't make a 100% positive ID, we do not fire. It's just that simple. Off the top of my head, I can think of at least three opportunities where one of our guys in a position to take a shot didn't because they were not certain of what they were seeing and, in retrospect, were probably looking at a wood ape. If I took the time to read all the after-action reports, I'm sure I'd find other examples.

WRT to the existence of the animal in that area, I would ask Big B how many mountain lions he's seen there. We had dozens of game cams up for more than five years and never took a picture of one, though we recently found a 4" cat track on the side of a road. Was that made by a hoaxer? Want to suggest it was a misidentified bear track? WRT to the presence of other people, those same game cams in that same period of time took (I believe) just one image of another person. If he's seeing people 40% of the time he's there, I'd say he's not in the same places we are. We rarely if ever see other people or even signs of them.

Edited by bipto

Aforementioned image of cat track. It was shallow and in sand, so is somewhat hard to see, but is clearly large and, I think, clearly a cat.

post-3-0-30645300-1368373486_thumb.jpg

SSR Team

There's certain things I can't explain why millions believe in especially in the US, but they do, and I can guarantee that not one person has seen it.

Sasquatches on the other hand have been seen by thousands.

I'm not sure that the answer to my central question has been answered. In fact, I am quite sure that a lot of people here that are some of the more rigid, fingers in ears, believers have never seen a Bigfoot nor have they looked at evidence beyond Finding Bigfoot.  I don't understand why people like that would buy into the myth so strongly. It seems to me that anyone that has spent more than a passing moment truly examining this phenomenon would not arrive at that conclusion. To me %90 of the threads here should be in the Campfire tales section, because that is all BF is.   So I read threads because watching Footers is kind of fascinating. My problem is in my lack of ability to not engage. Instead of yelling at the TV when Bobo says something ridiculous, I can now respond to similar things in this forum.  But l agree with you, I'll happily stand down. Let this thread get back on topic, and I'll keep my pesky skepticism out of this thread and all others.

I do agree with this though to be honest.

I've said for years that I will never understand why someone would " believe " in the existence of Sasquatch if they hadn't experienced one, but each to their own I guess.

Bipto, kudos to you on everything you're doing right now, and good luck.

Bipto,

Pardon if this has been asked and answered. Have you invited/taken Dr. Meldrum to Area X? Is he excited about your organization's prospects in Oklahoma? Has he offered any tangible support?

To me, it would be odd if Dr. Meldrum gave a presentation at your convention, listened to the Area X talk and other excitements, and then took a flight back home. Given his long-time quest and professional interest, I would expect him to virtually demand an inclusion in the next operation. This is potentially an overnight game changer, he must be thinking, and he must ache to be part of the final denouement.

But then I get visions of the fate of the late comer in The Treasure of the Sierra Madres and think the Dr. should probably stay home.   :)

I would consider it extremely unusual for any adult to "believe in" anything.  I sure don't.

But I consider it even more unusual for any adult to

- simply bypass copious and consistent evidence for a phenomenon;

- deny it as if one has proof for one's position;

- not even consider modifying that position for any reason, including the serious interest by scientists with directly relevant qualifications;

- not have any problem with the utter lack of a scientific demurrer to the evidence that makes any sense; and

- come repeatedly to a site like this to profess that. 

I may never understand it, in fact.  So other than these additions, I second WSA pretty emphatically.

Edited by DWA