Operation Persistence

Guest DWA

Not until science gets interested, and gets confirmation and starts running population studies.  Then we're talkin'.  Shoot, I'd just want to know either what's making so many people dangfool crazy or what they're all seeing, were I a scientist.  Just me, though, I guess.

I would also note something else about Big-B's concern.....He seems to have had none for himself during his peregrinations, only for those who will be sacrificed in the pursuit of killing the non-existent. How very altruistic of him, I must say.

dmaker, don't know if my PM reply made it back to you. In short "not a big deal" and thanks for the courtesy. Same on my end. 

Edited by WSA

Guest DWA

First of all, stop telling people to do something that is impossible. I cannot prove to you that Sasquatch does not exist, but you can certainly prove to me that it does. If there are thousands and thousands of consistent stories, then why no monkey? That seems odd. Thousands and thousands of people are seeing this thing yet NOT A SINGLE piece of verifiable evidence has yet to be provided. Weird

Actually, it's not weird.  It's pretty easy.

Almost no sasquatch witness will have any evidence.  Why?  Well, know how much evidence I have to give you of the animals I've seen?  That's why.

Now.  They come out of the woods with their experience, as real as mine.  I come out with mine (I saw an animal you know is real).

We both have the same evidence:  what our eyes told us.

You believe me.

That simple.

No one's going to bring back proof unless one goes out there to get it.  And none go out there prepared to get it, with the possible exception of the good people we are talking about on this thread.  I'm giving them time.  They'll need it.

There are plenty of people out there either directly for the purpose of gathering evidence of Sasquatch, or out there for other purposes but carrying the proper equipment to gather evidence. From the amateur Footers ( who are legion) to the professional biologists and nature photographers, there are plenty of people out there in a position to get better evidence than we have today. 

I find your position untenable and fanciful.  But convenient for you, so I understand why you constantly use it. 

Guest DWA

Nope, not untenable at all, not fanciful at all.  Just hard-eyed and informed by science and logic.

Show me what each group out there is doing, and I'll show you why we have nothing from them.

This is the only group that's doing what needs to be done.  And that we don't have proof from this group yet simply highlights more strongly why we should expect nothing from anyone else.  They're doing it wrong.  That's all.  Just bein' honest, don't mean nuthin' by it.

So when it comes to Bigfoot searching activity, nation wide, you are omniscient? And that we should get nothing and like it?    Well that and a healthy condemnation of all the amateur Footers out there.  

• Upvote 1

You do know that you contradict any assumptions as to their competence by your most basic assumption there, right?  You do know that your most basic assumption presumes every bigfooter incompetent, no?

Me, I can just tell you, given a comprehensive view of what any BF organization does, whether they are going about this the right way or not.

It isn't rocket science, you know.

It's just science.

This ain't hard.

But you know they're all great and their lack of success is proof positive there's nothing to see here folks.  Oh no, nothing omniscient about that, nosireebob.

No my most basic assumption is that there is no such thing as a Bigfoot, so competence in hunting one does not apply.

Well, that's what I mean.  Competent scientists don't chase chimeras.  They just don't.  Never happens.  It is against every single thing scientists stand for.

There is no compelling reason for competent scientists to go off chasing Bigfoot. And as every year goes by filled with empty promises, hoaxes and lots more of nothing, there is even less reason. I really don't understand why you think science should take this so seriously. Beyond Meldrum and couple of others, no one is taking this seriously because there is no earthly reason to do so. 

So yes, you are right. Competent scientists should not waste their time chasing Bigfoot.

^^ See, that is precisely the problem. Bigfoot discovery gets to be frozen in time. With no endgame date ever declared, proponents get to keep whispering soon, young footer, soon. Or boldly declare 20XX The Year of the Sasquatch! Aren't we know on our third of fourth running Year of the Sasquatch now? And when none, and I mean none of any BF efforts pan out, it's just a matter of " the wheel's still in spin..." Yeah, methinks that wheel is gonna spin forever.

@DWA – I am assuming you are using the term Chimera in the mythological sense?  Because Scientists are very much interested in Chimeras in the “genetic†sense.  Especially since they are creating them with gene splicing now. 

I have been following this argument for some time now and gee fellas, I have to wonder, what is the “Science†you all talk about?  This argument makes it sound as if current Science has finished evolving, is static,  but that isn’t the case.  Let’s not forget that once, not all that long ago time-wise, men thought Alchemy held the answers.  Modern Science may have ridged methods but it doesn’t have ridged minds – or shouldn’t anyway.  If it did what would be the point of it? 

The Science I know, and the people in it, are about finding answers to questions.  Even far-out questions and impossibilities – that doesn’t make them incompetent.  How is looking for answers or truth ever a waste of time?  A good portion of revolutionary scientific discoveries were considered a joke at first – like washing hands to stop the spread of disease.  Just one example of a maverick idea. 

Personally, I’d think a Scientist that discounted the fact that thousands of people were having a similar experience would be short-sighted. 

Who said the proof should be here "soon?" Certainly not me dmaker. Stomping your foot and having a come-apart about the lack of proof and how it should come on MY schedule(and sorry, there is WHOLE lot of that going on in these parts) is just an  emotional response, not a scientific one. Give yourself a break from that, I'd say.

Edited by WSA

I am not saying that science should not chase the unknown. Discovery is always a worthwhile objective. What I am saying is that Bigfoot is a waste of time and not a worthwhile objective. Putting chasing Bigfoot up alongside other ideas like washing hands to stop the spread of disease is comparing apples and oranges. Bigfoot is a circus, complete with side shows and snake oil salesmen. Trotting out the number of eye witness reports ( the first impulse of all Footers it seems) does nothing to bolster the argument. It just shows that it is a pop culture phenomenon with a decent amount of participation. I don't think science should engage the whim of gullible people. If you want to believe in BF, fine that is certainly your prerogative, but I don't think it is fair to expect science to jump on board with the fantasy. There is nothing but hoaxes and lies and empty promises and delusions behind BF. You want science wasting time on something like that? I, for one, am glad that is not the case.

@WSA, you seem content to sit back and just enjoy the idea of BF. You don't seem to be interested in confronting the reality of what is reported vs what is actually found. For you the fact that people are reporting it is enough. I don't believe that you really try to assess the likelihood of this being all hokum. For you that would "harsh your buzz". You're content to just sit back and savor the mystery. Why worry about reality, huh? As long as those reports keep rolling, you're happy. Never mind the fact that those reports are never, ever, ever substantiated with an actual Bigfoot. Who needs an actual Bigfoot when the made up one makes you quite happy enough?

Edited by dmaker