Are Bigfoot Believers Too Eager To Believe?

dopelyrics

Hello there,

First of all, let me state clearly that, every day of the week, I at least believe in the possibility that Bigfoot exists. For most of those days, I think it probably does.

Events over the last few days (you’ve got it – the Facebook Find Bigfoot debacle) has raised the question to me – are Bigfoot believers necessarily more eager to believe than the “general†public?

I am not talking about anyone specifically on this forum, but generally - with the FBFB site in mind. I’m sure you’ve read the comments on a lot of the video “authentificationsâ€.

What I find is that, with a lot of people, whenever a new video comes through the door, objectivity is thrown through the window. Is that because they are eager to believe, or is it because they are so eager to believe that Bigfoot is real that they perhaps park common sense aside?

Or is it simply that looking at a video is entirely subjective? So whether you are a believer or not, you might see something someone else doesn’t.

As a very keen amateur magician and mentalist, I have a lot of experience of deceiving people (purely for entertainment purposes). On the mentalism side especially, people are very quick to believe I may have special powers, even when I tell them that I am fooling them. I have had many people ask if I can tell see their into their past and their future (yes I can, but of course it is a parlour trick), even contact lost ones. I’m serious. This is after I’ve told people that I am tricking them. The point is they want to believe. Maybe it is just human nature.

Any thoughts?

Best.

Lee

Edited by RayG
Re-worded to remove usage of 'gullible'
  • Upvote 1

They are seeking vindication from the stigma placed by society and their peers because they encountered a "mythical" creature and not an accepted extant species. It can be very tough to have your personality picked apart because you have an encounter with an unknown animal. Telling people you trust can be eye opening. Small town gossip is like that around here too.

People would like to finally say "See told you I saw something real!" So they start a personal quest to find proof for themselves. Some dont go far enough and do their questing on the computer. They are the ones who are hurt the most I think. Hoaxes are not funny or fun when the subject is Sasquatch. This board is good for maintaining a balance of views. It should hopefully also take some wind out of that particular hoaxes sails.

Hoax a squatch? Get a punch in the face!

In a perfect world that is :)

I can't speak for believers, but as a knower, I don't have to struggle with my "beliefs" every time a new one comes out. I know for certain that it could be the "real deal". So, I just look at them & decide if they look "right". Many don't & I move along to the next one. If it does look right, I file it away as probably real. No fuss, no muss. Don't care what the armchair researchers declare it to be.

I have found that in any group or interest you have naive people that are easily led and quick to believe in something-no different in the Bigfoot realm. Having retired from a career in a specialized area of public safety and now working a second career dealing with forensics, I am by nature very skeptical, but couldn't deny what happened on my first close encounter by having a cinder block sized object hurtled at my son and I night fishing along a remote wooded creek. On that very first incident, I immediately knew of no animal or human capable of that feat and was my driving force seeking answers.

Yes, I have seen the simple minded fools, liars, fabricators and deceitful charlatans give serious Bigfoot research a black eye at times, but there is also a host of very serious people gathering solid forensic evidence these subjects really do exist.

Interesting Sasfooty. I guess as someone who has seen one, then you are in a priviliged position to make your own private judgement on all videos. Regarding the "armchair researchers" you mention, I don't believe you have to go out in the field to have an opinion on a video. That is, if you have been out in to the field and haven't seen one.

Thanks.

Lee

Edited by dopelyrics

Guest wudewasa

What I find is that, with a lot of people, whenever a new video comes through the door, objectivity is thrown through the window. Is that because they are eager to believe, or is it because they are so desperate to believe that Bigfoot is real that they perhaps park common sense aside?

I believe that the above statement is true, hence the statement "don't drink the kool aid." Thanks for addressing this issue, and I would enjoy your perspective on your mentalist skills as they appy to convincing people that bigfoot is real.

Edited by RayG
Re-worded to remove usage of 'gullible'

I dont think gullible is maybe the correct word - I have interests in other phenomena such as ghosts, ufos etc and the same situation is seen there.

People SO want their experiences or the evidence to be true, all impartiality regarding the facts or validity of these experiences/evidences goes out of the window in these people.

*this is not ALL people by the way, but you can tell people who will argue black is white all day long because they want to believe it.

Thanks.

Wudewasa - it may seem ironic that I may on the one hand have experience fooling people but could also be the subject of being fooled myself with the whole Bigfoot phenomenon. I am aware of that :)

Edited by dopelyrics

I can't speak for believers, but as a knower, I don't have to struggle with my "beliefs" every time a new one comes out. I know for certain that it could be the "real deal". So, I just look at them & decide if they look "right". Many don't & I move along to the next one. If it does look right, I file it away as probably real. No fuss, no muss. Don't care what the armchair researchers declare it to be.

True Sasfooty and I agree that I don't care what armchair guys say because unless they have gotten out of that armchair then it's useless information. The ones that actually go into the woods and see and hear for themselves are more likely to have an experience.

I read science and nature at times but I still have my own thoughts and that's my right. Listening to all sides gives one a perspective and you become grounded. Then your brain tells you to investigate further, it's just natural. So no amount of backlash from those who keep a closed mind have any affect on those who are open minded and willing to consider all thoughts. Try not to let your brain turn into mush..................

After so many fakes, and the complete mishandling of videos, I think most people interested in the subject are more circumspect than they used to be. It's to the point that if someone gets a clear, real video, no one will believe it. Certainly no one will pay big money for it. The idiots have ruined the market.

Could it be that the possible hoaxer is innocent until we prove him/her guilty?

There are also cases of hoaxers that muddy the waters by presenting some credible evidence at other times, like Freeman.

Maybe a hoaxer might want to pull of the biggest feat of all; actually delivering the goods - Wouldn't that be something?

I guess I cannot see thinks in black and white and I believe that human nature is intricate .

"Maybe I'mm just a dreamer...but I'm not the only one"...

First of all, let me state clearly that, every day of the week, I at least believe in the possibility that Bigfoot exists. For most of those days, I think it probably does.

A frivolous "aside"; but, the above put me irresistibly in mind of a thing remembered from the "Old BFF" -- said by, or ascribed to, a bemused fence-sitter about the topic.

"On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I think that it's probable on balance, that Bigfoot exists. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, I think it's probable on balance, that it doesn't exist. On Sundays I try not to think about the wretched creature at all."

A frivolous "aside"; but, the above put me irresistibly in mind of a thing remembered from the "Old BFF" -- said by, or ascribed to, a bemused fence-sitter about the topic.

"On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I think that it's probable on balance, that Bigfoot exists. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, I think it's probable on balance, that it doesn't exist. On Sundays I try not to think about the wretched creature at all."

hilarious!!!

Guest BFSleuth

Interesting OP, dope. Your background with magic and parlor tricks gives unique insight into the phenomena.

I don't think bigfooters are necessarily more prone to being gullible than say UFO enthusiasts or other groups of "true believers" that look for confirmation of their beliefs. Within the community of bigfooters there is a fairly wide spectrum of "belief" if you will, as noted by poignant among others.

Within any group such as bigfooters there will always be those who will want to believe presented evidence to the point that they might disregard mitigating evidence. The latest FB/FB tent video (made by Dyer by the way) is an excellent example. Despite the plethora of red flags people are undertaking serious study of details in the video, hoping against hope that all those red flags will blow away in the wind when Dyer et al have their big news conference. Personally, after an initial and routine perusal of the Youtube channel of the original video it led to the ridiculous web site with enough red flags to service the Chinese army. After that I consider spending further time with analyzing the video pointless. Now the web site has been taken down and simply refers back to the Youtube channel, which has also taken down the video and replaced all their posted videos with an announcement video.

Sometimes trying to put the squeeze on hoaxers is like trying to grab a wet bar of soap.

One lesson that everyone on this forum can learn is to try and learn some level of critical thinking and methods for detecting potential hoaxes so we don't divert our attention from evidence that is promising. Whenever there is a new video of BF the first thing to do is find the original YouTube poster, then click on their Channel and have a look at all the videos they have posted. It's amazing how many times people are getting excited by BF videos that are on Channels that have a number of BF spoofs and hoax attempts. Look at the YouTube channel.

Nice topic.

The rule of thumb I use is that everything is a fake until there is good enough evidence or circumstance to really suggest it is not.

There are plenty of really interesting videos out there (usually on Youtube) which don't get much attention but are genuinely very interesting indeed. Thermal Woodpile, Utah Bigfoots (in snow), and the woman's reaction in the last video in the FB/FB 'Bigfoot goes 'uh'' compilation all grab my attention.

On the subject of mentalism, I particularly enjoyed 'Tricks of the Mind', the book by Derren Brown. Very well written.