Eye Witness Accounts: Good, Bad, Or Useless?

SSR Team

BF can possibly be a cultural phenomenon. Just because a lot of people witness them does not mean there is truth to them. Bigfoot witnesses are a decided minority compared to the rest of the world. Some might argue that if bigfoot is real then more people should see them. Simply saying they are shy and stealthy is not necessarily truth. It is a hypothesis at best and a completely untested one at that. If bigfoot is unreal then it would be completely false also. A decided minority of hallucinations can easily account for all bigfoot sightings I suppose. That is also a hypothesis and also untested.

Where to start.

Sasquatches would HIGHLY likely be a pretty rare Animal, most certainly rarer than Bears for example throughout North America, wouldn't you agree ? That could be why Sasquatch witnesses could be pretty rare too no ?

If they weren't shy, don't you think one would have held a party or would have been so inquisitive that it would have been filmed or pictured well ?

Hallucinations can easily account for all Sasquatch sightings ? Are you serious ?

Edited by BobbyO

The set of people who have hallucinations at least once in their lives is considerably larger than the number of people who have claimed to see bigfoot. So yes, I'm serious. It could be this way. I am only including it as a possibility. I want bigfoot to be real too you know. But I have noticed during this life weird life of mine that reality and my desires aren't usually on the same track. I accept the possibility that the world is just plain boring.

After reading (oh I don't know, a few hundred or so?) stories I am only really moved by about two dozen or so. That's bigfoot only though as I've read only a handful of yeren or yowie stories for instance and am unfamiliar with Asia and Australia in terms of geography and cultures.

BF can possibly be a cultural phenomenon. Just because a lot of people witness them does not mean there is truth to them. Bigfoot witnesses are a decided minority compared to the rest of the world. Some might argue that if bigfoot is real then more people should see them. Simply saying they are shy and stealthy is not necessarily truth. It is a hypothesis at best and a completely untested one at that. If bigfoot is unreal then it would be completely false also. A decided minority of hallucinations can easily account for all bigfoot sightings I suppose. That is also a hypothesis and also untested.

BF and similar creatures, are a multicultural phenomenon. You talk about reading a handfull of Yowie and Yeren stories, and that should be somewhat evident. Cultures that really had no connection, a hundred years ago.. when the stories of such encounters were still passed down through the generations. With a little more online research... maybe it will be more apparent, to you.

The rest of your opinion (that you are certainly entitled too) is not worth my time responding too. I'm not here to argue opinions that could be a 5 star post on the JREF. At least, you use words like "possible" and " I suppose". You have my respect for that. I do the same thing, because my posts are opinion, as well.

Edited by imonacan

Being a active Law enforcement Investigator I can attest it comes down to the witness themselves..some are very good...others very unreliable.

IMHO,

at some point you have to believe someone. You can't believe everyone, but I think it is important to understand that not everybody is lying. Eye witness testimony can land someone in prison for life, but when it comes to Sasquatch research, people have a trough time accepting anything. I've taken reports from policemen, judges, forest rangers and preachers. If you can't have an open mind then you should probably look into a different field of research.

Just saying. DR

BFF Patron

Agreed and the icing on the cake for Sasquatch proof will be all those anecdotal accounts of witnesses that had their reps trashed and their sanity questioned for simply reporting what they observed, sometimes immediately after seeing it with no mistaking what it was that they saw except the words to describe it and the label to put on it. In some ways it is just better not even thinking about what those with valid pictures or videos of such have to go through, sure hope it is worth the payoff however they define it.

Edited by bipedalist

Of course, keep in mind that lay person observations are classed as "unreliable eyewitness anecdotes" and observations by "approved" persons (ie "scientists") are "field data"

Let me spell this out for you.

When a scientist goes to study a phenomenon they usually come prepared with things like equipment, a vantage point, etc and as such their observations are more planned and organized . That usually doesn't happen with a layperson who are often taken off guard. And yes, in terms of observating natural phenomenon a more trained individual is likely to make an accurate observation then an untrained one. I guess in your populist mind, being a field biologist is so easy anybody can do it.

IMHO,

at some point you have to believe someone. You can't believe everyone, but I think it is important to understand that not everybody is lying. Eye witness testimony can land someone in prison for life, but when it comes to Sasquatch research, people have a trough time accepting anything. I've taken reports from policemen, judges, forest rangers and preachers. If you can't have an open mind then you should probably look into a different field of research.

Just saying. DR

Agreed! Hundreds if not thousands of sightings reported every year even if you can eliminate 90% through hoaxes lying fabrications and misidentifications there is still the 10% that are honest have moral ethics and high degrees of integrity who know what they witnessed. Therefore they are seeing and reporting a real animal(s)

If only 3 of the entire schmere a year are real.. the species (or species complex) exists. I am quite certain there are many more observations than that. If not I have tons of friends who are straight out mistaken, lying, falsifying evidence, misrepresenting what they actually saw, or so incompetent they cant tell the difference. I know them better than that. Some for a decade or more. Personal experiences also figure. Throw in the rest of the described natural history, descriptions of behavior and look.. I find that harder to believe (that its all B S) than for it to be represented by actual entities that continue to conform to living breathing creatures governed by biological law.. seems the best reports come from wildlife corridors or near them.. which also makes sense.

Fill in the blank: Joe or Jane Average sees a large, dark thing moving in the woods and thinks, "Is that a _________?"

I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist or sociologist but I think 99.9% of people would say "I guess that must be ... a bear / an elk / a hunter / a deer / a cougar / a pack of badgers / a flock of turkeys / some kids / " and not "...that must have been a unicorn / Scoobydoo / an elf / a sasquatch / an alien / a horde of orbs...."

Most people wouldn't tell anyone a story about seeing a "mythical" creature.

Most people are "normal" and would never tell a big, public lie (right?) because that could have pretty mortifying results. Lordy.

Most people could not imagine ever, ever telling a story in public about seeing a "mythical" creature. Cripes.

All in all, it seems to me that there are many more bigfoot ID'd as bears than the other way around and way more sighted not ever reported at all.

Edited by Kings Canyon

All in all, it seems to me that there are many more bigfoot ID'd as bears than the other way around and way more sighted not ever reported at all.

Of course that's assuming BF is real.

Then that would mean that they would be shot by bear hunters. We have stories of that but no body.

Guest Cervelo

Some are interesting.... up close daylight sightings from experienced outdoorsmen/women.

John Cartwright's report always got my attention.

But at this point almost all reports after Finding Bigfoots airing are worthless IMO.

Bobo and Cliff are dear friends, and the show has raised awareness, but I REALLY wish it could take on a much more scientific approach. Maybe that would be to boring. I agree, up close daytime sightings by avid outdoors men are very hard to ignore.

DR