The Ketchum Report (Continued)

Guest Admin

Guest TwilightZone

The general rule in the United States is that we do not own our discarded cells or whatever is extracted from them. The leading case in this area is Moore v. Regents of U. of Cal (1990) 51 C.3d 120. Moreover, bigfoot has no privacy rights under the law; if the sample is from a bigfoot as MK claims, she should be able to publish it without concern.

Thanks for that link. I had been thinking of the book "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" during some of the discussion on the legalities of DNA. Basically Mrs. Lacks had cancer cells that never die but replicate forever given nutrients whereas most cells die after a few divisions. So her doctors took those cells (without malice) and they are used in studies even today. Supply companies have made millions by now from supplying researchers with the cells and the immediate family had no recourse. The end of the book talked about other cases where samples were taken without a patient's knowledge and the doctor got various patents and made millions and the contributor, even if alive, got nothing.

That's were she said the problem was, she joked on how do i get the BF's were the samples came from to sign a release form.

Edited by zigoapex

Guest TwilightZone

That's were she said the problem was, she joked on how do i get the BF's were the samples came from to sign a release form.

Ketchum said this, that she can't upload all the data for this reason?

FWIW, the National Geographic Genographic project only uses numbers not the identity of the person who is submitting the dna. I have a number and that is all.

Also for the record, my haplogroup is H. My mito eve came from Ethiopia around but not guaranteed 70,000 years ago. Also read this in Scientific Illustrated the other day that there was a volcanic eruption 10,000 to 15,000 years ago. It of course, wreaked all sorts of havoc around the planet and the author of this article stated that after the calamity that time, he suspected there were only between 10,000 and 15,000 human inhabitants left on the planet. I imagine there are other ideas about this but you have to wonder??????

Edited by Sunflower

ScottG - I think it was GeneRus (I am sorry if this is wrong) who said Ketchums claim about GenBank not allowing human sequences - was untrue.

I would think the one thing GenBank would be the most concerned about is the privacy of the person (if a human contributor).. But, they pretty much spelled out that, this specific responsibility, is on the submitter of the sequences to GenBank.

Hum..

They also say that the sequences can't contain personal indenty makers, which would defeat any effort to prove or disprove the DNA was from a person that collected the sample.

. I can only vouch for the fact that my impression of the sample I sent in was not from a human based on observations during collection and further examination under the microscope prior to it being sent. To the naked eye looking at them though, they might pass for human pubic hairs.

So you are an expert at identifying hairs under a microscope? If so, would you be willing to be subjected to a blind test of your abilities to differentiate between human and other species hairs? If so I would love to set up such a test for you to demonstrate your ability!

slowstepper

So you are an expert at identifying hairs under a microscope? If so, would you be willing to be subjected to a blind test of your abilities to differentiate between human and other species hairs? If so I would love to set up such a test for you to demonstrate your ability!

slowstepper

He said he saw the animal that left the sample, looked different, don't see why you have to be an expert just to give an opinion

they could not except it with out consent of the sample donor(not the researcher), I guess because it matched so close to human.

She is working with another scientist that is running the data and if all matches her conclusion, they should be able to get it into genbank.

Recommendation is that more Jack Links be offered in exchange for their "x" on the dotted line.

slowstepper

It was my impression and opinion based on described characteristics of human hairs. I'm not an expert on it, but do try to inform myself on what to look for based on published information. I do think I can distinguish Bear hairs from human hairs.

So it sounds like Ketchum wants to move away from the DNA and start focusing on the study and protection for the species. Just ignore her hiding data and being dishonest, not to mention that shoddy paper that didn't prove anything except dog, bear,lemur and humans are walking the earth, but Letts just forget about all that and pretend Melba proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that bigfoot exists. We all need to start calling our congressmen and demanding sasquatch be given constitutional rights.

Oh, naaaaah. What that "argument" is, however, is sufficient on its face to ascertain that the person making it hasn't read up, and must do so to fully join the conversation.

You ain't mistaking something with short legs and short "arms" (oh, and very prominent ears), less capable on two legs than a man with a crutch, with something with long arms and legs that makes Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt look like feedlot hogs. You ain't mistaking something that paces a sports car at highway speed on two legs with something that couldn't catch me on two legs if I hopped away in a sack. And fer shure you ain't telling me a bear looks anything - anything - like an ape or a human.

I have never read a report that indicates innocent mistaken identity. If any of them do, those people should be located and hospitalized. It is simply not safe for us, or them, to leave them among us, particularly driving or holding deadly weapons, as so very many of them were when they had their sightings.

One can see a sasquatch, and think bear (or human).

The other way? Get thee to a doctor, stat.

One can learn this in Psych 100, taught at many colleges.

One has to propose something reasonable to blow all this evidence away. So far, not a breath. Good wishful thinking though, and an excellent example of how far people can take that.

Why black bear and bigfoot have similar ranges is easily understood by what they eat - for which, for the latter, there are many records.

I have seen bears in the wild to rival anyone here. If you toss off Jacobs as a bear, I immediately either (1) mistrust your credentials or (2) recognize it as an effort to appear "skeptical" (shame on you, Jeff, Loren, and Alton, but I at least understand the pressure).

The more I research this subject the more I am believing that misidentification is certainly taking place but not of sightings of Sasquatch that are really bears, but sightings of bears and really big guys in coats that are most probably Sasquatch. People don't like to see things they don't want to see lol. To many, the choice between believing what your eyes, ears, and nose tells you and being chronically terrified or denying your senses and continuing without fear is weighted on which makes you feel better.

Bff members- To the point of moving on to protection, Ms. Ketchum will undoubtedly need to have a cleaner more verifiable DNA report to satisfy the authorities, period. And as far as why she is moving on, Would it be that the more she says the further the hole is dug and just speculating here - maybe Sykes told her to put the skids on for awhile while he does some investigations; just speculating.

BFF Patron

Or maybe Sykes said, show me the money!

Melba should keep slient.

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt" ­­- Mark Twain (attributed)