Why Are You Convinced They Exist?

Daniel Boone’s story about shooting a “yahoo†http://www.bigfooten...i_zueffle97.htm

That one sank it's hook in me when I heard it live, It was just too intriguing, and intutively compelling to ignore.

The stories centered around large, hairy wild people who lived in the woods. In one version of the story, told by a Mr. Lee Macgard of Harlan County, Kentucky, the cave-dwelling wild person is specifically called a "Yeahoh." Could "Yeahoh" be a corruption of Swift's "Yahoo," and could this be evidence that Boone's tall tales survived over one hundred years of retellings in the Kentucky highlands? Aside from the phonetic similarity of the creatures' names, another interesting parallel between the Kentucky Yeahoh and Swift's Yahoo is in the behavior attributed to each. Most notably, Macgard describes the Yeahoh as repeatedly making the sound "yea-hoh, yeahoh"; Swift described his Yahoos as uttering their own eponymous sounds in a similar manner.

• 3 weeks later...

• Way too many footprints that remain unexplained, and that no one would bet a human making if they knew what would be required.

Way too many sightings by apparently sober people with nothing to gain (and much to lose) that are way too consistent.

Patterson-Gimlin.  Looks real, and not one shred of evidence contesting authenticity in over 45 years.  (Bill Munns's analysis.)

The reasoning of scientists who have taken a good look at the evidence, Meldrum, Krantz and Bindernagel prominently.

The utter absence of a scientific demurrer to the evidence that passes the most basic sniff test.

Plausible scenarios for a North American primate, vs. zero sensible explanation of how all this could be a false positive.

I really wish they didn't exist like a few others have said but growing up with the knowledge of an encounter that could NOT be explained away as a bear, I have believed they existed most of my life. That belief however consisted of: way back in the mountains rare occurrence not likely to be repeated kind of belief. But after years of reading encounters and experiences, I am convinced not everyone is wrong. I believe there is a LOT of misidentification and a lot of hoaxing. But there are a lot of stories all across this country....different times, places and dates that just have way too many similarities to be one gigantic conspiracy.

I am a natural skeptic and it is my nature to totally rule any and everything else out first. I guess that is why back in 1979 I was more willing to accept the police version of who my "prowler" was. Thinking Bigfoot was not a thought process I had at the time. Truthfully back then I was skeptical of the police version, it had blaring flaws in it and I suspected it was the best they could come up with to shut up the hysterical female. But to be honest....Bigfoot probably wasn't on their radar either and they did the best they could. Now I look back at it and KNOW it was a Bigfoot experience.

I have no problem with their elusive skills...none. I have watched rabbits and deer in my own backyard seem to disappear into thin air. Only staring intently at the spot where they entered the woods for however long it took and they finally moved again showed me they were in fact still there. I have seen it numerous times while in the woods. I have walked almost on top of deer never knowing they were there until they snorted and ran. If so many other creatures of the forest can do this, why can't Bigfoot? He just moves away quietly for the most part.

Then finally, I have the "high strangeness" (loved that phrase!) that has been going on on our hill for years. Most I eventually found an explanation for but some is still a puzzle. In years past I have called the police a couple times for a prowler. This spring it seems to have "heated up" or else I am more aware. But it doesn't mean I am less skeptical and some things have been explained by other wildlife. Some remain strange. I am at the point where whether I want them to exist or not doesn't matter because I am convinced they do.

Like some others have said, I think some people are in for a big hairy surprise some day.

Guest SoFla

Never saw one but believe in them. First reason being my Uncle John telling us about him and his partner on a drug plane stakeout in the Everglades for the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office back around 1979-80 and them seeing a skunk ape and being scared shitless by it. My Uncle John does not lie,  second reasons for me is the proof positive that I have gotten from watching several breakdowns of the PGF. Lastly, all of the stories you read about and see on YouTube and TV with people telling of their encounters, just like how we all knew Dyer WAS lying and how we as humans can also tell when someone is NOT lying.

Guest LarryP

The native Americans were not the peace loving people living "in harmony in the land" that people like to paint them as, they were actually quite violent and warred with each other quite a bit. As they conquered and was conquered in turn with each other they absorbed the language, myths and legends, customs, and culture of each other.

That's supposed to be "in harmony with", not "in harmony in".

I believe there is a LOT of misidentification and a lot of hoaxing. But there are a lot of stories all across this country....different times, places and dates that just have way too many similarities to be one gigantic conspiracy.

Personally, I doubt significant volume for either misidentification or hoaxing.  I don't think there's anything in North America that bears a significant resemblance to a huge bipedal ape (particularly bears).  I don't believe I have read a report that could have resulted from innocent misidentification.  Big fat lie, really potent hallucinogen (nope, not alcohol) or really serious mental disorder, yes.  All of them being accounted for by these things?  No way.  And I haven't seen an identified hoax that was far north of pathetic, particularly when compared to what people report seeing.

I am a natural skeptic and it is my nature to totally rule any and everything else out first. I guess that is why back in 1979 I was more willing to accept the police version of who my "prowler" was. Thinking Bigfoot was not a thought process I had at the time. Truthfully back then I was skeptical of the police version, it had blaring flaws in it and I suspected it was the best they could come up with to shut up the hysterical female. But to be honest....Bigfoot probably wasn't on their radar either and they did the best they could. Now I look back at it and KNOW it was a Bigfoot experience.

To me, a true skeptic questions ALL assumptions, including "this can't be real."  Fortunately you trusted the true skeptic in you, which was telling you the cops were all wet.

I have no problem with their elusive skills...none. I have watched rabbits and deer in my own backyard seem to disappear into thin air. Only staring intently at the spot where they entered the woods for however long it took and they finally moved again showed me they were in fact still there. I have seen it numerous times while in the woods. I have walked almost on top of deer never knowing they were there until they snorted and ran. If so many other creatures of the forest can do this, why can't Bigfoot? He just moves away quietly for the most part.

I wouldn't have seen many of the deer I have in my life were it not for my deer mantra:  One means more.  It can be surprsing how hard the others - making no effort at all to hide themselves - can be to see and hear.  The evidence that sasquatch is a predator of some significance would seem to indicate stealth - and it's substantiated by many more than one encounter report.