Food For Thought - Skeptics And Believers

Hello Cervelo,

Thanks, and you're welcome. While we were there we crossed over the Canadian border onto Campobello Island where Franklin D. Roosevelt had a summer home. The island is a photographer's dream. Here's one shot for you: 

ge6.JPG

Here is the minimum you should have if you want to call yourself a serious researcher:
x0vFX2Al.jpg
Thats maybe $10K if you are carefull and dont buy everything new at MSRP. Thats too much you say? Dont go to a couple of bigfoot conferences this year and skip a vacation. Maybe this is what Meldrum should have and not be spending $100K on a hot air balloon.

you can have a $5.00 Instamatic and get the best shot ever, it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time.You can buy every gadget known to man,and not even get a blobsquatch, if you don't have the ability to track or research proper areas. I think that's most of the problem with many researchers is there is to much time wasted on gadgets and the like, when they should be working on honing skills to take better footage and learning how to enter and remain in areas undetected.Some the best witness sightings are by deer and turkey hunters that are focused on stealth.Most of the researchers are shown walking aimlessly,talking to their cameras(god only knows why),making more noise than a busted chainsaw, they would be lucky to obtain good footage of a cow,never mind the big guys :) Edited by zigoapex

For a 5 second sighting, having a thrift store instamatic or a disposable 35mm might work out better than most digital cams... draw and snap, and it bears enhancement... digtal, draw, turn it on, wait for lens to extend, fumble with menus, get the stupid flash turned off, put it in a decent shooting mode, (night/indoor/outdoor etc) try and get the subject in viewfinder or on screen, wait 2 more seconds for the autofocus to jitter back and forward, hold the shutter button for what seems like a freaking eternity until the stupid thing actually takes the shot... oh no, you moved too soon, can't even tell the trees are trees, discard, or save, still takes a second again to get back to be able to shoot... then you get a decent picture and label it. "30 seconds ago a sasquatch walked through here". I am seriously frustrated in my attempts to find a digital that's acceptable for "snapping", to be opportunistic, it has to be on, and in the right shooting mode, you can walk round like that but you burn batteries like hell.

I've got one cellphone that's almost as good as an instamatic for rapid fire, and I've got several "opportunity" shots with it (Nothing that is of interest here) because it's flip one button, and shoot. Pocket to pic in 3 seconds. BUT resolution is horrible and the lens is somewhat "wide angle" I'd have to hug bigfoot into an arms length "selfie" for any kind of detail.

So, it kinda makes sense to just roll video if you're gonna burn batteries anyway. Then you've got the dichotomy between predator behaviour, and "comes here often" part of the environment behaviour, even if it's giving off nervous deer vibes rather than stalking puma vibes.

^ I would think that you would have better luck stalking into your area, setting up an OP, get your equipment ready, then have the patience to wait and observe.  Is also my opinion that a mil grade NV device is worth getting. PVS 7B and PVS 14 can be had in the $2500 range and will give you a lot more ability in the field to indentify what you are hearing or think you are hearing/seeing at night.

I do think its amusing how everyone makes excuses on why the quality and expensive equipment doesnt work but nobody is getting anything with the cheap stuff either.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tell that to SEAL team six..........

Look everyone wants to be a loin clothed Indian that has a zen Buddha relationship with nature. I get that.

The problem is? Most modern humans do not have the time to exert that much effort into becoming that good. And compared to SEAL team six's gadget's? Good ain't good enough..........

Which brings me to the second problem. Funds. Most people don't have 10 grand to spend on NVG's, thermals and the like.

I think the wisest choice of action, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel thousands of times, is to form clubs of like minded people and split the cost equally. Less impact on the pocket book and good technology is affordable. Or............find a sugar daddy.

Flashman, I am not buying that. We carried more gear than that when I was in the Army. Most 2 man sniper teams carry more gear than that and do just fine sneaking in without being seen and observing valuable details. I gues Im approching this whole thing not as a camping trip but as a tactical hunting mission. And instead of hunting for the enemy, you are hunting for the chance to observe a bigfoot. But maybe the real reason we cant find one with any equipment is that they dont exist.

Edited by Darrell

Flashman, I am not buying that. We carried more gear than that when I was in the Army. Most 2 man sniper teams carry more gear than that and do just fine sneaking in without being seen and observing valuable details. I gues Im approching this whole thing not as a camping trip but as a tactical hunting mission. And instead of hunting for the enemy, you are hunting for the chance to observe a bigfoot. But maybe the real reason we cant find one with any equipment is that they dont exist.

People claim to "find them" all the time.........Roger Patterson filmed one on a archiac camera almost 50 years ago.

So you buy fancy gear and you get all set up and BLAM! You get the shot!

Extreme-expeditions-trail-cam-of-bigfoot

Is it going to prove anything? Is it a hoax? Where is the body? It looks like a guy in a suit...........

Look, all of the technology in the world isn't going to prove anything if that technology isn't guiding a bullet to the bullseye. Other wise all that technology is going to do is turn you yourself from skeptic to knower.

Edited by norseman

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tell that to SEAL team six..........

Throw 6's equipment at a rookie just out of basic and he'll be useless with it, which is this exactly...

The problem is? Most modern humans do not have the time to exert that much effort into becoming that good. And compared to SEAL team six's gadget's? Good ain't good enough..........

Full time drilling and training with the kit gets you good with it. It's probably some ridiculous high proportion of the time spent in a soldiers career that he's drilling vs using it for real.

Anyway, I'd say there's a case for getting good with that you've got, rather than rendering yourself ineffective with gadgetitis.

Really? How hard is it to throw on some NVG's and hit the "on" button? What is that? A one hour training session? 

I'm not dissing training.........but if I was to bet on a ninja apache loin cloth dude and SEAL team six? I'm betting on the Navy.

Afghani's build their own AK's with hammer and anvil techniques, they know the mountains, the terrain, they are guerrilla fighters, some of the best in the world............and they still show up on a FLIR and they still die the same way anyone else would that cannot defend themselves from such technology.

It's insane to deny that technology is a force multiplier. Because it is........