Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

I thought we lost your input Dmaker. Well I say that they are curious about our existence, but they are not interested in revealing to us theirs. I think their curiosity will be their downfall when it comes to us discovering them. The time has come and our technology to detect them is ever improving. It is only a matter of time, but God I hope we can get them protected. They are not monsters, but magnificently designed creatures, deserving our utmost respect. You will not have this line of argument for long, so enjoy it while you can.....

Do they need our protection really?  There is a group in Oklahoma that has been trying to shoot one for several years now.  There are others out there who are trying to put one on a slab.  It hasn't been done yet. 

The problem I have with the thought of them dumpster diving and raiding your apple tree - is that they are right there, and there is still no hard evidence.  If I've read correctly, you have not seen one either OP, just some unidentified noises that you attribute to BF.  You said earlier "Well I submit that they are existing quite nicely while only allowing us the bare minimum of evidence to prove their existence..."  Where has anyone proven their existence?  I think before we postulate how they exist in our backyards, we first need to determine (prove) that they exist period. 

IMO I think we're being observed day and/or night a lot more than we can comprehend and occasionally one will screw up and be seen. I don't understand why they would hang out near urban areas other than curiousity but I've experience activity near sub divisions as well. Look for funnels of tree line. Whitetail use them so I would assume they would use them as well.

LCB, I have been enjoying this thread and glad that you have come here to share what you have experienced and hope you continue to do so. My interest began back in the mid 90's in Marion county Florida with unusual sounds and that started a vigil with nightly recordings. Back then the property we lived on was a crows fly to the Ocala National forest. Most of us there lived on acreage, it was an agricultural area, horses, cattle, crops, etc. But within a mile or two there was also a convenience store, school and a major highway.

We knew what we were hearing and experiencing was NOT from the normal wildlife. To make a long story short the sounds were heard by over a dozen witnesses during a cook out one night. It got soo intense that several left without eating.

There are "corridors" through many urban areas where there have been sightings and reports. Rivers, creeks, power line easements, highway under passes etc. Also many states have implemented the use of wildlife crossings under major thoroughfares to reduce the loss of wildlife and motor vehicle accidents. There are plenty of ways to travel without being seen, especially during the dark.

In reference to your coyote vocals, pay attention to the initial vocal. What we have experienced here in Arkansas and other recordings I have heard from different states is an initial vocal that sets off the coyote's. It's obvious what it's not.

Don't give up when the activity and sounds go into a lull, keep recording.

We knew what we were hearing and experiencing was NOT from the normal wildlife" -Painthorse

You cannot, without evidence to support it, make statements like that as fact.

@Dmaker, Yes I can make that statement as fact. As far as evidence goes, my experience with the outdoors and the local wildlife is good enough evidence for me.

If it's not good enough "for your standards" that's your problem, not mine. Don't care what you think, it's just the same ole same ole and that's the end of that discussion for me on what I do and not know.

• Upvote 3

In a thread aimed at swapping stories, sure make all sorts of claims without evidence that you want to. It does not mean, however, that they will be taken by everyone as fact.  Nor should you expect them to be.  

Edited by dmaker

Moderator Statement:

Please review the following posting rules:

1. BFF has one rule above all else - Behave like adults!
2. Do not make things personal. Attack the argument, not the arguer. No name calling. Terms like ‘liars’ and ‘idiots’ are beyond the pale and will not be tolerated here.
3. Remember at all times that this forum is here to discuss the subject of Bigfoot, not to discuss other members. If you don't have something nice to say about someone, you might want to consider not saying anything.
4. Respect other members and their right to their opinion.

Consider this a warning. Any further violations will be met with warning increases.

Do they need our protection really?  There is a group in Oklahoma that has been trying to shoot one for several years now.  There are others out there who are trying to put one on a slab.  It hasn't been done yet. 

Given the actual amount of field time and personnel thus far devoted to getting a specimen, I'm not at all surprised that it hasn't been done yet.  The main reason I'd like to see mainstream interest is that it could bring in the requisite money and people (read:  money) to do this full time - which I'd see either bringing in the specimen, or the commitment to stay at it round the clock 'til we have one, pretty quickly.  When everybody involved is spending their own money and vacation time...well, look at how often the NAWAC website gets updated to get an idea how fast it's going.

The problem I have with the thought of them dumpster diving and raiding your apple tree - is that they are right there, and there is still no hard evidence.  If I've read correctly, you have not seen one either OP, just some unidentified noises that you attribute to BF.  You said earlier "Well I submit that they are existing quite nicely while only allowing us the bare minimum of evidence to prove their existence..."  Where has anyone proven their existence?  I think before we postulate how they exist in our backyards, we first need to determine (prove) that they exist period. 

I'm actually OK with people working this how they work this.  This is science, the way it's done when the mainstream refuses to play.  Gonna be glitches to that.

I know DWA, we've had several variations of the same conversation about it.  My thought is that if we handle the later part better, as amateurs, then perhaps we will garner more attention (read people and money) from the mainstream.  I don't think we should settle for half-baked evidence as amateurs.  Sure, I understand there are some people who do not want the species "discovered" - assuming they are real of course.  But others who do want to see protection (as OP said), especially environment protection, should be very careful when vetting their data and try to eliminate any and every other possible cause for that sound, or shadowy figure, or knocking sound.  Simply saying "I've never heard another animal like that, therefore it must be BF" should not be good enough.  Saying "It sounded like another recording (that has not been proven to be BF either)" should not be good enough.  Others with outlandish claims should be made to prove them, or cast aside - not sought out for advice on how to handle evidence going forward.  In such a polarizing topic as BF, and the credibility (read: giant current lack of) that will be required to get mainstream to look this way - accepting those "glitches" will never move the bar closer to mainstream - in fact it pushes it further away. 

We knew what we were hearing and experiencing was NOT from the normal wildlife" -Painthorse

A person can say what they want.  It's their Constitutional right in America.  They are moderated in their speech voluntarily by the rules of the forum, which they have accepted upon joining, and by the moderators, who enforce the rules.  If a person steps over the line, the moderators can take appropriate action per the forum rules.

In my opinion, no one on this forum, No One, has the authority to determine second-hand, without direct evidence, what is or is not a fact experienced by another, let alone dictate to any person what they can claim as a fact.  One can point out that something asserted as fact is unsubstantiated, but one cannot refute a claim of fact without direct evidence to do so, and a lack of evidence that a fact is false precludes proof that an assertion of fact is false (sucks having an argument turned back on one, doesn't it?). 

Edited by chelefoot

All you have to do is listen to the OS recordings, MRP recordings or the Sierra Sounds. There are elements in those that are definitely not normal wildlife. They are also hominin in origin too, it just depends on which argument you want to make at the time right D?