Urban Bigfoot, Seriously?

Lake County Bigfooot

"No offense Dmaker, but saying your not an authority of primate locomotion does not negate your ability to accept an expert opinion, Meldrum's opinion of the prints, as a body of evidence, is that they evidence a true biological creature. Now had he not been fully persuaded of that fact, he would not be risking his career attempting to establish the reality of this creature."

How is he risking his career? He was recently promoted in fact. Where is your evidence of his career being at risk due to Bigfoot? If anything, I would suspect that Bigfoot has been rather kind to him. It provides opportunities to be on TV and venues where he can sell casts, and books, etc.  Oh, I do not see the subject Bigfoot doing Dr.Meldrum any harm at all. Quite the opposite in fact. 

ETA: How can you be so sure of what is in Dr.Medlrum's head anyway?  How can you be so sure of what he is persuaded of?

Edited by dmaker

Whatever ? lol. I keep hearing about how there is no evidence for bigfoot so why would the government or scientist get involved and fund anything. They need real proof first. YET there was and still is no evidence for extraterrestrials, and for 39 years they were getting 11 million a year. They still get money through different programs.

"Complete evidence of absence"? 

That's a massive and unsupportable stretch unless heavily qualified with something like "Complete evidence of absence in my bedroom, because I refuse to look out the window for fear of seeing something I can't deal with". JDL

Again, I take your point. What I mean by complete evidence of absence is that when people say Bigfoot is here, or there. Then people go to here or there and find no Bigfoot. Bigfoot has yet to be discovered in any area people have claimed it exists. To me that is convincing evidence of absence that just grows every day. 

Though if my use of "complete" bothers you, I have no problem changing it to simply evidence of absence. I don't want you thinking that I am literally claiming knowledge of every square inch of the planet. 

Edited by dmaker

Whatever ? lol. I keep hearing about how there is no evidence for bigfoot so why would the government or scientist get involved and fund anything. They need real proof first. YET there was and still is no evidence for extraterrestrials, and for 39 years they were getting 11 million a year. They still get money through different programs.

Where do you get this number? SETI had to shut down their operations in 2011 due to lack of enough funding and returned in 2012 thanks to a donation from Qualcomm. They are not rolling in money.

Sheri, maybe the answer to your question lies in the idea that our governments find the concept of life on other planets probable and worth investigating ( even without evidence as you say).  At least considerably more probable and worth investigating than Bigfoot?

Unless you also subscribe to the government conspiracy theories around Bigfoot?  

Edited by dmaker

What's the phrase?

Oh.  "Complete evidence of absence" of:

• Extraterrestrials
  • Extra-planetary origin of UFOs
  • Connection between the above two

Meanwhile here on earth, at least one unconfirmed member of the Hominoidea is running around loose, thousands of people are seeing it; it is LEAVING FOOTPRINTS; and...

What probability dmaker ? for 56 years theres been NOTHING at all. Jerrymanderer, that's what they used to get. Yes that type of funding stopped, but they still get public funds from different programs.

"Urban Bigfoot."  Anyone remember a discussion like that on the BFF?  I'm trying to find it.  Pointers?

Once again we see that when the bigfoot skeptics show up, the discussion can really get out of this world.

Hi Jerry,

How much of their funding comes from non-private donations?  Dollar amount?  And what non-private entities are contributing?

Didn't NASA have a SETI program?

Yes. The NASA effort was called the High Resolution Microwave Survey (HRMS). In 1993, Nevada Senator Richard Bryan introduced an amendment that eliminated all funding for the NASA SETI program. The cost of the program was less than 0.1% of NASA's annual budget, amounting to about a nickel per taxpayer per year. The Senator cited budget pressures as his reason for ending NASA’s involvement with SETI.

So who funds the SETI search now?

Current SETI searches are funded by donations, mostly from individuals among the public and a few foundations and corporations. Major donors have included William Hewlett, David Packard, Gordon Moore, Paul Allen, Nathan Myhrvold, Arthur C. Clarke, Barney Oliver, and Franklin Antonio.

http://www.seti.org/faq

SETI recently had a 3.5 million dollar donation from Qualcomm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CGcQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.discovery.com%2Fspace%2Fet-hunters-get-35-million-donation-121115.htm&ei=lSwyUt-LLIr1qAGfwYDoAw&usg=AFQjCNE2nF5IO_Fl1TYhibo6lGfp9JglSg

"Urban Bigfoot."  Anyone remember a discussion like that on the BFF?  I'm trying to find it.  Pointers?

Once again we see that when the bigfoot skeptics show up, the discussion can really get out of this world.

A believer brought up SETI.

Edited by Jerrymanderer

^^ You forgot alleged unconfirmed member of the Hominioidea...

Because, as you claim, you are neutral and undecided on this issue ....right? ;)

Totally.

And science is about making bets with research time and money, and the evidence says to bet that unconfirmed critter is real.

It helps to be neutral and undecided when evaluating evidence, so that one can see clearly the conclusion to which it points and one's opinion isn't clouded by bias..

Jerymander, SETI recieved money from NASA and the national science foundation.

Also I am not a believer , I saw one in broad daylight within 40 feet., so i know they are real. So have thousands of others.

Edited by sheri