Misidentification

Hello All,

One of the highpoints of being on this Forum would be if DWA has put me on "Ignore". I hope that's the case. Oh please, PLEASE, tell me it's true. On the other hand, DWA, if you haven't put me on "Ignore" yet then I ask you- NO- I beg you to please "ignore" me.....just P-U-U-U-U-SH  THE  B-U-U-U-U-TTON

^^ Bigfoot is even more interesting as a phenomenon once you realize there is no actual animal involved. Then it becomes a rather fascinating sub-culture that utilize logic and "facts" in a rather intriguing manner let's say. 

IOW, I'm right because I said so, mmmmkay?

I find BF to be much more interesting as a phenomenon once you realize that its actually a real creature. Beyond that I don't care to argue all that much as the skeptics often bring up some pretty tired arguments, none of which are true, about something with which they've had zero experience.  OTOH I am very willing to discuss it and answer questions. It seems to me a lot of people who have had real experiences are probably similar. I'm pretty sure some would concede that misidentification could be an issue; others will not based entirely on the nature of their encounter.

The forum is a nice venue, as we don't have to give out our names and phone numbers. That is indeed an issue- it was pretty obvious after my encounter that it was not going to be a good idea to broadcast the fact that it had happened. I have good friends that I simply won't talk about this issue, others where I will, all having to do with how I perceive their world view and their ability to handle something like this; also whether it will damage my relationship with them.

If I had not had the experience things would be easier! On this matter its simply a fact that your world view will get shaken up if you ever have a real encounter; if that never happens you are probably better off.

• Upvote 3

Hello salubrius,

I've not had an encounter. But I personally know someone who has. Everything you say is spot on. In a sense choosing who to tell falls into both dmaker's AND DWA's side of the fence. On the one hand you won't discuss it with some and on the other hand there are those you will. I could easily think that various work situations may result in similar decisions depending on how well ones knows fellow employees.

I just goes to illustrate that sweeping generalizations utterly fail when one gets to the level of the individual. It also shows that there is plenty of room on the Forum for subjectivity in a more intimate discussion even though GENERALLY it's objectivity we strive for most. Thank you for your candidness.

Edited by hiflier

I love it.  Dmaker "realizes" there is no animal involved.  That's a hoot.  I'm not sure I could think of anything further removed from how a scientist would think about anything than "realizing" something one has taken pains to point out one has "realized" by devoutly refusing to apply oneself to it.

Or further removed from "interesting," while we are on that.  I have found nothing less interesting than bigfoot skepticism.  I much prefer weaving over, under, around and through it the intricate scientific tapestry that points it up for what it is.

Edited by DWA

^^ Well,not all of us are as impressed by anonymous anecdotes on a website ran by an organization lead by a  buffoon. One cannot apply the scientific method to anonymous anecdotes, much less wave them around proclaiming they are just short of proof.  Apply yourself to that all you want. Have fun. 

Maybe someday you will understand that someone can apply themselves to this topic and still come away with a completely different ( and opposite) conclusion than you. It is possible to give this serious thought and NOT agree with you, and NOT believe there is any such creature as a bigfoot.   And maybe if that very doubtful day were to ever come, you might be able to just say, thanks for your opinion, but I disagree. 

dmaker

So your opinion is there is no actual animal and all of us believers are just an interesting sub culture. Yet you want to put yourself smack dab in the middle of this interesting sub culture. Why? So you can stroke your own ego and show us all how intellectually superior you are? I'd have more respect for that if you were just observing this sub culture.

Guest LarryP

I would think that anyone who found you on the BFRO would be an ally of yours. I know that if I became aware that someone near me had an experience, I'd want to pick their brains for a while myself. I might not buy a product but I might all the same. Business will not likely suffer just because of that. I've done business with people that I've thought were absolute kooks and I'll bet many others have as well.

Customers are not allies, they're customers. 

"Buyers are liars".

As a result, anything that represents a gotcha opportunity ends up costing you money. 

Unless you've taken a vow of poverty, the sooner you learn that, the better.

dmaker

So your opinion is there is no actual animal and all of us believers are just an interesting sub culture. Yet you want to put yourself smack dab in the middle of this interesting sub culture. Why? So you can stroke your own ego and show us all how intellectually superior you are? I'd have more respect for that if you were just observing this sub culture.

No. I like to offer alternatives to proponent bigfoot theories. Bigfoot, in my opinion, is something that when properly critically analyzed begins to unravel until, hopefully, one realizes the truth of the matter. Being exposed to skeptical counterpoints can possibly help someone who may be on the fence consider this topic a different way and arrive at a different conclusion than had they only been exposed to the proponent argument.

In the course of offering that skeptical viewpoint, I will invariably find myself at odds and arguing with certain personalities here. 

ETA: I do realize that I have moved from skepticism to denial during my time here and the more I learn about the bigfoot phenomenon. I simply use the term skeptic since that is the most common one used here to describe someone who is not a proponent or a believer.

Edited by dmaker

So you're the one that knows the truth? And you feel your job is to convince everyone that we are all wrong. That's incredibly condescending.

I think it's true that people who have had a sighting, or encounter, usually fall into two groups.

1) the group who would never mention it to anyone, maybe the exception being close friends or family. Their reasons usually are protecting the species, protecting their own identity or professional reputation, or their families reputation. Or it is such an eye opening experience, that changed their outlook, that they are having problems coming to grips with it in the aftermath. 

2) the group that mentions it to family/friends/co-workers etc. They don't think they have been hoaxed, but have no explanation for what they whitnessed. They had to tell someone, but not neccessarily for the extra attention, maybe to test the waters to see if others may have had a similar experience. Usually they understand the consequences of mentioning the subject, and felt it would be somewhat harmless to divulge.

While some who report a sighting, or post it on a BF site such as this one, may be attention seekers, I think the majority just want the data added to the collective database.

That's how I reported mine to the BFRO. Just as data, but it was never used. Ironically another sighting nearbye was posted on their site, and it was more outrageous than mine. I was a skeptic before I started finding tracks, and other activity, leading to a sighting. I kept most of it to myself until the sighting, then I thought someone with more experience, should handle it, and could possibly use the data.

A few weeks ago, I talked to a man in his eighties, who has spent the majority of his life in the wilderness, farming, logging and construction etc. I just asked him if he had ever heard of any bigfoot activity, and before I could even finish my sentence, he cut me off and said yes he had. He dropped the subject, and acted kinda T'd off at me for bringing it up.

So, I still think that even with all the media attention, there are still probly unreported whitness accounts, maybe 10 to 1.

So you're the one that knows the truth? And you feel your job is to convince everyone that we are all wrong. That's incredibly condescending.

Interpret it however you want to drodrigue. I think it's worthwhile to have more than one point of view available here. If that makes me the villain in your eyes, then so be it. I was simply being honest. 

• Upvote 1

You dont have a point of view you have an agenda. You ad nothing to a conversation. Any video that gets posted here, debated and eventually debunked is ALWAYS debunked by a believer. Which tells me that those people are willing to look at both sides of the issue.

SSR Team

^^ Bigfoot is even more interesting as a phenomenon once you realize there is no actual animal involved. Then it becomes a rather fascinating sub-culture that utilize logic and "facts" in a rather intriguing manner let's say.

IOW, I'm right because I said so, mmmmkay?

Yet again, proof that skeptics on this forum are more interested in psycho analyzing the members than the interest they have in the subject.

That's extremely unhealthy for the benefit of the forum.

Oh, that's only one thing it is.

Another thing is...welllll, one finds that kind on street corners.  And one is not significantly more impressed then, either.  Well, wait.  Some of the ones that one finds on street corners have bothered to arm themselves with facts.

For anyone to think that misidentification is a serious factor to consider in sasquatch encounter reports simply labels one as unfamiliar with the evidence.  I can say with certainty that if one is coming here expecting to be educated in the evidence...well, no, one comes here to discuss it with like-minded people. 

Although I will say that some spend enough time here to get a significant amount of education.  If, you know, one were open to that sort of thing.

Edited by DWA