N A W A C - Field Study Discussion (2)

See-Te-Cah NC

For real. But, as has been said many times, they aren't born 8 feet tall. Also, unlike in the PNW, the Ouachitas are filled with hardwood trees. It's not crazy to think a mature walnut or hickory would support many hundreds of pounds on a thick branch. We've had several sightings of large black animals leaping from treetop to treetop. I personally saw a big black something do it last year when I was there with Kathy Strain (she saw it twice). Our assumption has been only juveniles use the trees, but now we're not so sure. A big flexible foot would probably come in pretty handy for tree climbing. 

Gulliver's Travels was a work of fiction. Am I missing something in the point of referencing the yahoos?

DWA took issue with my use of the word to describe bigfoot behavior. Some skeptics believe that Swifts writings were a literary genesis for the whole bigfoot phenomenon / myth. I have an entirely different perspective on that, but the word and it's use is still used in reference to a behavior, mostly of people, even though it's etymological origin is the description of a detestable hairy brute in human form that repeatedly screams a sound which gave it it's name.

http://www.appalachianhistory.net/2010/07/yeahoh-yahoo-or-bigfoot.html

I agree that Swifts work was fiction, however his inspiration could well have truth behind it. I know there is a creature out there that does make that sound, and it does find it's way into reports.

For real. But, as has been said many times, they aren't born 8 feet tall. Also, unlike in the PNW, the Ouachitas are filled with hardwood trees. It's not crazy to think a mature walnut or hickory would support many hundreds of pounds on a thick branch. We've had several sightings of large black animals leaping from treetop to treetop. I personally saw a big black something do it last year when I was there with Kathy Strain (she saw it twice). Our assumption has been only juveniles use the trees, but now we're not so sure. A big flexible foot would probably come in pretty handy for tree climbing. 

Gorillas - big ones - climb trees.  They're not chimps or anything.  But they can get into them, and of course orangs are virtually exclusively arboreal.

Bears don't leap from treetop to treetop.  I've seen an impressively big bear impressively high in a tree; I only looked up because the distinctive sound of cracking branches didn't come with any of the sounds I'd associate with a bear on the ground.  But it wasn't leaping around.  (The cracking came from the bear bringing stuff it wanted closer to it, not from 'too big to be in tree.'  If you don't have hands or other appendages that can grab limbs...you aren't jumping from tree to tree.

Edited by DWA

Most people including hunters do not consistently look up when hiking, hunting, etc. I would think that people who observe birds do look up much of the time they are in the woods and I would expect more reports from these folks if bf did use trees frequently. I have read reports and have been told by some bigfooters that they have observed bf going up or coming down from a tree, but it may be more of a natural tool for them to use for observation or hunting than anything else. I have huge trees on my property and in the surrounding areas and do look for bark scrapes or any sign of a tree being used frequently by a large animal and so far, no such luck.

It was disheartening to hear about the very large clear cut near X and it is probably one of the things that may cause a bf clan to move out of the area permanently at some future time. OK is not the only place that this is happening and it may have more to do with the land owners/corporations than with federal or local laws. Those familiar with the UP know that logging is one of the top industies and ever since I can remember, logging was done with responsibly (at least from my viewpoint) until Plum Creek bought out much of the land owned by Mead Paper. Mead was a very good with their select cuts and even their clear cuts by leaving many standing areas between clear cuts and in select cuts by leaving all of the non mature trees. Once Plum Creek got the land, they just wipe out everything, even in the hardwood cuts and they make no qualms about cutting everything that is standing. It's aweful to look at and I think now that other land owners see what they are doing, they will have a harder time getting access to clear cut.

I can picture what Bipto was describing in the podcast and all I can say is it sucks. UPs

It does. And, so far, it doesn't seem to have caused the locals to relocate. Of course, we know nothing whatsoever about their requirements. It may be they can't relocate due to factors we don't understand. As Miz said on the show, once a new large mammal is "discovered" in North America, great pressure would be brought to bear against those who would use the land unresponsively. As a conservation organization, this issue means a great deal to us. 

^^^This is what hacks me off about bigfoot skeptics.  I blame them for those clearcuts.  No rational reason not to.

Maybe, but when folks ( semi-scientists like Disotel) throw ALL human so called contaminated submissions away with no record. Well, you get the picture.

Semi-scientist?  Really? You're qualified to call him that? His credentials are quite impressive actually. What about yours?

Dr.Disotell has a Phd and Masters from Harvard and an undergraduate degree from Cornell. He has almost 20 publications to his name.  And you feel justified in calling him a semi-scientist? That is insulting to say the least. 

I would suggest you get some perspective.

^^^But there's still no rational reason not to blame you guys for it, so I do.

Scientists do what the public tells them, much more than folks like you might think.  (They rely on it for their, you know, paychecks.)  They're staying away from this topic because it's career poison.  And it's career poison because the public stays uninformed about it; laughs at it; and takes no time to educate themselves on it.

So yeah, I blame you guys.  Don't take it personally or nuthin'.  All you'd have to do is say:  hey guys!  Shut these proponents UP; get out there and prove them wrong.  But nooooooo.  It's all about you on this.

So yeah, I blame you guys.

Disotell should be ashamed of himself.  I don't care where all you go being a scientist.  I call you on whether you behave like one when it comes to this topic.

Disotell has a ways to go.

(And yeah, I peeked, and found out this wasn't the kneejerk response I was expecting to my blame-the-skeptics.  But I still do.)

Edited by DWA

So yeah, I blame you guys.  Don't take it personally or nuthin'.  All you'd have to do is say:  hey guys!  Shut these proponents UP; get out there and prove them wrong.  But nooooooo.  It's all about you on this.

YES! Get out there and Not Find a Bigfoot, to disprove the idea that they are out there! go! go! go! now.

How would one shut the proponents up, Mr.Scientist? How would one go about getting out into the woods and proving that bigfoot does not exist? Your response would inevitably be something like you're doing it wrong, or in the wrong place,  or whatever form of moving the goal posts. You will never accept that bigfoot does not exist, so please stop pretending that there is a point where fruitless effort would change your position. Such a point does not exist. It would be an effort that would perpetually spin in one spot while you sit back and churn out excuse after excuse as to why bigfoot is just around the corner...

They are in the trees.  Years ago I started a topic "Above our heads" it got hardly a response.  The reason is when I lived in the boonies across from the game preserve I would hear sounds coming from the tree tops.  The sounds were similar to birds but not a bird. It was high pitched and crying type sounds. 

My impression was that a baby "something" was crying out in distress.  However, it continued from time to time and it wasn't something that I would have put in a diary, it was simply a sound.

Now, after all this time, I am convinced that they spend as much time in the trees as they can in some areas.  They are well adapted and that is from an eyewitness just in the past two weeks. 

I have observed some of Plum Creek's clearcuts in LeFlore county and they appear to have left nursery trees behind and there were some areas, mainly on mountain faces, they couldn't get to and those are still intact. Clearcutting has been proven to be a boon for wildlife as the stagnation of mature forest is eliminated by a rejuvenation of habitat that would otherwise only have been created via wildfire.

They are well adapted and that is from an eyewitness just in the past two weeks. 

You think that these goofy awkward feet are from a creature that spends a lot of time in the trees?

bigfoot_all_small3.jpg

I'm convinced by what Sunflower heard years ago that our tree tops are filled with baby primates.

Sounds legit....

I have observed some of Plum Creek's clearcuts in LeFlore county and they appear to have left nursery trees behind and there were some areas, mainly on mountain faces, they couldn't get to and those are still intact. Clearcutting has been proven to be a boon for wildlife as the stagnation of mature forest is eliminated by a rejuvenation of habitat that would otherwise only have been created via wildfire.

As I have also stated numerous times that more carefully selected cuts and some clear cut areas in pine forest yield a rapid grow back of deciduous  broadleaf brush, trees and grasses and therefore increasing deer and rabbit etc food sources and their populations increase so the deer predators will also be stable and or increase too. They survived the massive clear cuts of 100 + years ago they will survive smaller cuts too

Edited by GEARMAN